Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Morning traffic solution?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

redmicky wrote: »
    Make it so children have to go to a school in the area they live in.
    For example at the moment we have children from the north side of dublin going to school on the south side and vice versa.
    The bus and Dart is packed with school children traveling miles from home to attend school, passing by numerous schools nearer to where they live which they could attend. Do something about that and it will help greatly.

Those kids using the Bus and DART aren't causing congestion, they're doing the right thing. It's the parents driving unnecessary journeys of less than 2km to bring their darlings to the doors of schools they could easily walk or cycle to that are putting additional cars on the road that don't need to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

loyatemu wrote: »
    Opening at 10 as suggested further up the thread would cause working parents additional childcare problems.

I'd agree that kids should attend local schools - a lot of the kids travelling longer distances are attending private schools.

I agree with the first statement quoted.

But the 2nd is non-sensical: almost all schools in Ireland are "private" schools, apart from the very few operated by the RETBs (ex VEC). The fundamnetal problem is screwed up planning: local schools should have been planned when houses were, and local schools should be required to enrol local children.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I agree with the first statement quoted.

But the 2nd is non-sensical: almost all schools in Ireland are "private" schools, apart from the very few operated by the RETBs (ex VEC). The fundamnetal problem is screwed up planning: local schools should have been planned when houses were, and local schools should be required to enrol local children.

by private I mean fee-paying. Certainly a lot of the local kids in Greystones attend fee paying schools elsewhere (Dalkey, Killiney, Booterstown etc) even though the local secondary is under-subscribed. The fee-paying schools tend to draw their pupils from a very large catchment area - not sure how big a contributory problem this is to congestion though as a lot of the kids would use public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Those kids using the Bus and DART aren't causing congestion, they're doing the right thing. It's the parents driving unnecessary journeys of less than 2km to bring their darlings to the doors of schools they could easily walk or cycle to that are putting additional cars on the road that don't need to be there.

I'm not sure that it is appropriate for the transport system to subsidise school pupils travelling from Balbriggan (or Maynooth or Kilcoole) to Blackrock - Schoolchild Smart Card Single is €0.73 single.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure that it is appropriate for the transport system to subsidise school pupils travelling from Balbriggan (or Maynooth or Kilcoole) to Blackrock - Schoolchild Smart Card Single is €0.73 single.
    What are you on about? It's that price whether they go to Blackrock or Malahide. We're talking about congestion on the roads not on the trains or buses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    TLegalize all 2 wheelers in bus lanes

no . unless they are 2 wheelers with an engine.
    Alter_Ego wrote: »
    TAlso, public transport needs to be cheaper, waaaaay more frequent, faster and use more circular routes.

while busses have to share roads with other traffic, along with other things such as people parking where they shouldn't for example, the bus services won't get any faster. luas priority needs to be examined also. as a light rail system there is no excuse for it not to get priority (the congestion charge would be 1 way to help make that happen in the city itself as it may reduce traffic enough to make any whining over it almost irrelevant) . we'd all like public transport to be cheeper but the money has to come from somewhere and the government aren't willing to subsidize it any more for now (hopefully that will change) . same for frequency as much as i'd agree it needs to happen.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

redmicky wrote: »
    Make it so children have to go to a school in the area they live in.
    For example at the moment we have children from the north side of dublin going to school on the south side and vice versa.
    The bus and Dart is packed with school children traveling miles from home to attend school, passing by numerous schools nearer to where they live which they could attend. Do something about that and it will help greatly.
    absolutely agree. not only that but these people are taking places from others in the area of the school miles away they send their children to.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Surely the nightmarish gridlock on the M50 over the past twelve months cannot be attributed to school drop-offs. I can't imagine many parents using the route from Finglas to Ballymount from 7.15 - 9.00 am every morning.

Staggered opening by bringing in breakfast/homework clubs before and after classes might be an option but teacher's unions would probably object.

if this was ever to happen, i would hope they would do so, as they would be right. a teachers job is to educate children, a schools job is to provide a place where a child can be educated by such teacher. it is not the job of a school or its teachers to be a child minding service. if you need child care, it is up to you to provide for it either by paying for it, or if possible getting parents or others who could do it.
    I'd agree that kids should attend local schools - a lot of the kids travelling longer distances are attending private schools. The whole school admissions system in Ireland is messed up and needs reform

couldn't agree more

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

mockingjay wrote: »
    Surely the nightmarish gridlock on the M50 over the past twelve months cannot be attributed to school drop-offs. I can't imagine many parents using the route from Finglas to Ballymount from 7.15 - 9.00 am every morning.

Just asked my brother who uses it from finglas every day. He says it's totally different now, much better, so yes schools being off tricked down to the M50 too ffs !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Just asked my brother who uses it from finglas every day. He says it's totally different now, much better, so yes schools being off tricked down to the M50 too ffs !!

How often does simple logic need to be explained to people?

Summer = Holidays = Less people working = Less commuter traffic.

How much school traffic do you think uses the M50?

These threads are invariably started by single occupancy car users who somehow think if someone else is taken off the road that their journey will be easier and of course other groups are not as important as they are. To put it simply, the reason commuter routes are jammed is because of COMMUTERS IN CARS.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭pclive

All it takes is for a relatively small drop in traffic numbers to free up the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Vic_08 wrote: »

It's not that, the schools make the most difference. You will notice the difference even at Christmas and Easter when the schools are off. Same when the colleges close a month earlier than schools during the summer there is a huge drop off.

Even on public transport the DARTs are not a crush loaded in the evenings from all the school kids going from the city centre to Howth, and Malahide with their bags all over the seats and floors.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭Confucius say

Vic_08 wrote: »

How much school traffic do you think uses the M50?

These threads are invariably started by single occupancy car users who somehow think if someone else is taken off the road that their journey will be easier and of course other groups are not as important as they are. To put it simply, the reason commuter routes are jammed is because of COMMUTERS IN CARS.

In my opinion you're wrong. I'm in the public sector. There's currently one person away and never more than one or two out at once in my area. I definitely think the clogged m50 is to do with kids going to school. If there's a holy day for e.g. Suddenly there's no traffic, at any time of year. And who do you know that takes days off for holy days, whether they have kids or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd have thought that on the M50 at least (and other long-distance routes) people are dropping their kids off on the way to work. School-specific congestion tends to be more localised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Schools being off has a massive effect. But there's also lots of adults off work in the summer months. Term time, holidays, and people looking after those kids not at school.

It's that price whether they go to Blackrock or Malahide.
    Exactly! :)
    We're talking about congestion on the roads not on the trains or buses.
    One can't be taken in isolation from the others. If people perceive public transport to be over-crowded, they will tend to use other means.
    if this was ever to happen, i would hope they would do so, as they would be right. a teachers job is to educate children, a schools job is to provide a place where a child can be educated by such teacher. it is not the job of a school or its teachers to be a child minding service. if you need child care, it is up to you to provide for it either by paying for it, or if possible getting parents or others who could do it.

€8.8 billion to be spent by the government on education in 2015. Schools are open for about 1,000 hours per year. There are 8,760 hours in a year - schools go under / unused for 89% of the year. There is certainly scope to use those buildings more efficiently and, if necessary, pay someone to mind children.

Victor wrote: »
    €8.8 billion to be spent by the government on education in 2015. Schools are open for about 1,000 hours per year. There are 8,760 hours in a year - schools go under / unused for 89% of the year. There is certainly scope to use those buildings more efficiently and, if necessary, pay someone to mind children.

fine, but the parents pay all the costs of it. for the minders wages, and the costs of having the schools open out of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

If there's a holy day for e.g. Suddenly there's no traffic, at any time of year. And who do you know that takes days off for holy days, whether they have kids or not?

Well VERY few schools take days off for holy days these days... Maybe around Easter and Christmas....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Is the traffic substantially better in the evenings, during the summer, or is it the same rush hour as when the schools are on.

I've always found driving past a school at 9 am is gridlock, while going into the city around time is very heavy relative to 10am onwards. Traffic then picks up substantially from 5pm, including the buses and trains. You can hardly blame the schools for that. Most schoolkids are home by 4pm

• Advertisement

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Is the traffic substantially better in the evenings, during the summer, or is it the same rush hour as when the schools are on.

I've always found driving past a school at 9 am is gridlock, while going into the city around time is very heavy relative to 10am onwards. Traffic then picks up substantially from 5pm, including the buses and trains. You can hardly blame the schools for that. Most schoolkids are home by 4pm
    On any given day, the morning rush hour is shorter, but more intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭markpb

It's not that, the schools make the most difference. You will notice the difference even at Christmas and Easter when the schools are off.

What do you think happens when the schools close for a day or a week at those times? Parents take time off work.
    Same when the colleges close a month earlier than schools during the summer there is a huge drop off.

Colleges close = less people on the roads. What's your point?

Traffic is made up of people driving to work, to college, to school and lots of other places. No one group is responsible and any attempt to blame a single group is missing that fundamental point.

You are traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you stop being traffic you'll stop complaining about it.

If you want to reduce terrific you have to force people to take alternative options. You achieve this by making cars less attractive by letting it harder and more expensive to drive.

Our office moved a while ago to a more central location. It meant a lot of people switched to public transport. It was too difficult to drive to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,263 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It's not that, the schools make the most difference. You will notice the difference even at Christmas and Easter when the schools are off. Same when the colleges close a month earlier than schools during the summer there is a huge drop off.
    Obviously schools traffic is a factor (on my route it's not necessarily the volume, but their driving patterns, with legal U turns disrupting flow). But there are other factors - parents taking time off (not necessarily the whole summer, but taking their 2 weeks over the summer), it's the traditional holiday time for all the population, builders holidays etc.

When the schools are out, you also have parents taking time off. The volume of people wanting school holidays off causes issues in my place, particularly at Christmas and Easter. But I don't think there's anyone on my floor with school age children that won't be taking a couple of weeks over the school summer holidays.

Christmas - a good few places shut down between Christmas and New Year, and both Christmas and Easter have bank holidays, so people maximise their annual leave around those times.

Advertisement