Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tragic yet worrying scenes in waterford last night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Is it saying they went to attack the Garda in his home and one of them ended up dead? Doesn't sound very tragic to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Is it saying they went to attack the Garda in his home and one of them ended up dead? Doesn't sound very tragic to me.

That's what it sounds like. tragic in the sense that a 14/16 year old (depending on what report you read) has lost his life. worrying in the sense that a serious incident occurred in a guards own home.

lighterman wrote: »
    That's what it sounds like. tragic in the sense that a 14/16 year old (depending on what report you read) has lost his life. worrying in the sense that a serious incident occurred in their own home.

A 14/16 year old who was involved in a home invasion. If that's the case, I don't find his death at all tragic. What's tragic is that we have a society that raises such animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

A 14/16 year old who was involved in a home invasion. If that's the case, I don't find his death at all tragic. What's tragic is that we have a society that raises such animals.

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I do find it tragic. Obviously we can't take media reports as being accurate...they never are, so this could be anything from a kid with a couple of beers on board doing something stupid right up to a scumbag out to do real damage. One end of that scale would be tragic.

As SF (Yay! We get to attack the police again!), FF (Yay! An issue that isn't the economy!) and various crackpots are having a field day attacking AGS every day, it's only a matter of time before the local 'intelligentsia' join in.

• Advertisement

I do find it tragic. Obviously we can't take media reports as being accurate...they never are, so this could be anything from a kid with a couple of beers on board doing something stupid right up to a scumbag out to do real damage. One end of that scale would be tragic.

As SF (Yay! We get to attack the police again!), FF (Yay! An issue that isn't the economy!) and various crackpots are having a field day attacking AGS every day, it's only a matter of time before the local 'intelligentsia' join in.

I just don't find the death automatically tragic. I wouldn't wish death on anyone but they could have easily killed the person they attacked, so I won't shed any tears for him if what has been reported so far is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

The little I heard, it was some kids throwing bottles at the house also the gard got hit. Doesn't sound like a home invasion. You don't invade homes by throwing bottles at it first. It absolutely sounds tragic. And I'd say the gard is more upset by what happened the kid. Kids shouldn't be going round throwing bottles at anything or anyone. It seems like a tragic accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

This was in Waterford not Detroit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

this could be anything from a kid with a couple of beers on board doing something stupid right up to a scumbag out to do real damage.

Why do people in Ireland act like these are two different things?, alcohol is not an excuse for violence. If a kid goes out drinking, and bottles somebody, he is a scumbag, regardless of what he chose to consume that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Group of idiots go round to Gardas home and start throwing bottles at it.
    Garda comes out to said idiots and gets assaulted.
    Idiots run away and one gets himself killed.
    No sympathies from me.

• Advertisement

Stupid mistakes have serious consequences.

Example: that neknomination death

Any drink driving deaths.

And so on....

enda1 wrote: »
    This was in Waterford not Detroit!

And? Do you think it doesn't happen here? Wether it's a home invasion, burglary or simple property damage the invasion of a persons home is breach of one of their fundamental rights and can cause serious psychological damage. Maybe if we took it a bit more serious over here it wouldn't happen so much.

And? Do you think it doesn't happen here? Wether it's a home invasion, burglary or simple property damage the invasion of a persons home is breach of one of their fundamental rights and can cause serious psychological damage. Maybe if we took it a bit more serious over here it wouldn't happen so much.

There you go again with the invasion! :D
    don't you worry. These terrorists got what was coming to them. Maybe the other three arrested can be renditioned to a containment facility.

don't you worry. These terrorists got what was coming to them. Maybe the other three arrested can be renditioned to a containment facility.

Is it that you don't know what a home invasion is or do you simply object to the non-legal terminology?

What are you on about? Home invasions happen all the time in Ireland.

Eugene Gillespie killed in a home invasion, Sligo not Detroit.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/man-30-jailed-for-life-for-murder-of-eugene-gillespie-67-30153301.html

James Boyce Killed in home invasion, Limerick not Detroit
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/trial-in-murdered-limerick-pensioner-case-nears-an-end-29941739.html

Is it that you don't know what a home invasion is or do you simply object to the non-legal terminology?

I'm "objecting" to the Fox News terror alert rhetoric.
    Some kids acting the eejit got their comeuppance.

I'm "objecting" to the Fox News terror alert rhetoric.
    Some kids acting the eejit got their comeuppance.

It's got nothing to do with terrorism.

Vandalizing someones property and putting someone in hospital after assault is now classified as "acting the eejit"?

Deary me

Nino Brown wrote: »
    Why do people in Ireland act like these are two different things?, alcohol is not an excuse for violence. If a kid goes out drinking, and bottles somebody, he is a scumbag, regardless of what he chose to consume that night.

Because they are very different things. If the local kids decide to have a go at my house I will not be happy. But they're only kids. As appears to be the case here they will run scared once confronted.
    On the other hand if my house is being invaded by the sort of pure evil scumbag we let out of prison too freely, then I have a lot more to worry about.
    You genuinely wouldn't see a difference?

And nowhere did I put forward alcohol as an excuse. I mentioned it as it's hardly a leap to imagine beer is involved. There were bottles thrown. The lads weren't out drinking milk.

It's got nothing to do with terrorism.

You don't seem to understand my point. Its the sensationalism related to the reporting. The Americanisation of news and reactions to it.

• Advertisement

Because they are very different things. If the local kids decide to have a go at my house I will not be happy. But they're only kids. As appears to be the case here they will run scared once confronted.
    On the other hand if my house is being invaded by the sort of pure evil scumbag we let out of prison too freely, then I have a lot more to worry about.

And nowhere did I put forward alcohol as an excuse. I mentioned it as it's hardly a leap to imagine beer is involved. There were bottles thrown. The lads weren't out drinking milk.

They were 18 year olds, lets not pretend they were "kids". They knew full well what they were doing and had no good intentions when they went to the house.

Didn't they stab the man after being confronted? Not exactly my definition of running scared.
    And no I don't see any difference, we're not talking about throwing eggs here, when a "kid" crosses that's line and attacks somebody, they're just like any other scumbag and should be treated as such.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    They were 18 year olds, lets not pretend they were "kids". They knew full well what they were doing and had no good intentions when they went to the house.

It's being reported as 18 years old now, and nowhere did I say they were there to spread christmas cheer, but earlier reports had the age at 16.

I've seen reports that vary from kids throwing bottles (breakingnews/examiner) at the house right up to adults slashing the victim (independent). Todays lesson: Don't believe the press.

Apparently the group were connected to a person that was arrested the previous day

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-arrest-man-armed-with-hatchet-after-burglary-in-waterford-30269888.html

Sounds like payback on the Guard was their motive

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Apparently the group were connected to a person that was arrested the previous day

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-arrest-man-armed-with-hatchet-after-burglary-in-waterford-30269888.html

Sounds like payback on the Guard was their motive

If true, bearing in mind this is the Irish Independent that's reporting it, that would not be on the tragic end of the scale I posted earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

The Irish Times article:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/teenager-dies-after-garda-assaulted-in-dungarvan-1.1798349

"The events began after midnight when a garda superintendent confronted a group of males ranging in age from 16 to 20 years at the front of his house in Dungarvan. He went outside after his wife had heard what she thought was a bottle being thrown at the front of the property.
    Once outside, the off-duty officer became involved in a confrontation with the group and sources said he was assaulted when a bottle was thrown at the back of his head.
    He then chased the intruders and they dispersed in different directions. One of them, an 18-year-old from the locality, ran towards the nearby Sea Park area.
    It appears he was attempting to cross a river as he fled and fell, possibly sustaining injuries from a pipe or sharp implement.
    His body was later found in the water during searches of the area after the incident."

Seems like it was a cowardly assault followed by an unfortunate accident.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

GSOC are earning their salt these days. Never heard of them until recently, now there never out of the news.

'Fell on a sharp object' sounds a bit suspicious. Bit like prisoners of war shot while attempting to escape. No sympathy anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Zero sympathy. Yet another member attacked at their own home. When will this country wake up a realise that the way they are asking AGS to do their job is outdated, unrealistic and putting the lives of members, and their families, at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭damienirel

This story along with yer man from love/hate getting shot in this mornings news is very depressing - this country is racing to the bottom on crime.

2 things that would stop this nonsense:

1. Free Legal Aid needs a massive overhaul. Lawyers that represent pond-life are pond-life themselves and need to be kept in check.

2. Harsher sentencing especially relating to those with previous convictions.
    (The judicial merry-go-round the benefits lawyers and judges needs to stop).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

It baffles me that people are sympathetic towards this thug. Frankly my sympathy and concern lies with the Garda and his family. His wife and children must be terrified.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement