Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World of Warships

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm on my Omaha now, not a huge amount left until my Cleveland. I seem to be just at the upper edge of advancing up the tiers, so I seem to frequently be top tier.

My impression is that a good game pays out way more in XP/creds in this than compared to a good game in WoT though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Spear wrote: »
    My impression is that a good game pays out way more in XP/creds in this than compared to a good game in WoT though.
    It does to an insane level; I can easily make 1500+ exp on a losing game and <500 on a winning game all depending on how well I did in the game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,034 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

My Cleveland and I are getting along okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Nice shooting.

The anti-aircraft guns on American cruisers seem deadly. I'm at tier V Omaha and shooting down quite a few. It helps that the planes don't really pay you much attention too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Aenaes wrote: »
    Nice shooting.

The anti-aircraft guns on American cruisers seem deadly. I'm at tier V Omaha and shooting down quite a few. It helps that the planes don't really pay you much attention too.
    Honestly it sounds like the carrier is sleeping then; a normal run on a cruiser (or a BS close to a cruiser) would usually cost me at most 1 torpedo bomber and then you simply route it out to avoid enemy ships/planes basically. Then again I'm usually spending my time trying to torpedo the enemy carriers with my torpedo squadrons :P

• Advertisement

Currently I'm saving commander points to get the skill that increases AA range by 20%. And I've switched out the hydrophones for the dual purpose armament boost against aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, like all of us here, I gave it a go few days ago and really liking it. Usually playing I'm platoon with one or two buddies.
    Credits are really generous so far even with Non premium account. I was a bit shocked about it. I am not sure how it is in low tiers of wot, as I haven't played low tiers in wot in ages, but it looks a lot more fair so far. I found out that premium is shared between two games, so it was a no brainer to roll it on again. I was taking a mild break from wot and just playing some premium tanks for ****s and giggles when had time in the last month or so.
    I went for Americans until they will roll out Russians. Only on tier IV with battleships and cruisers and tier 3 ( almost 4) with destroyers. Phoenix is really annoying so far. Can't get a single decent game in it. st. Lious is some ****ed up thing lol. I prefer it to battleships hehe.
    That's pretty much the only two games I play right now. Barely got time to play anything lately, so when I got, wargaming games are the ones hehe.

The credit/cost scaling is very different from WoT. But on the other hand there's no way to sell old upgrades/equipment since there's no depot.

Upon full release it'll also share gold with WoT, but not credits it seems.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Is there many upgrades on the larger ships? I noticed the smaller destroyers only had 1 main gun upgrade.

Later examples can vary quite a bit, but in the example of the ship I just finshed, the Omaha, there's three hull upgrades, the guns, and the fire director.

The hull upgrades aren't simple upgrades though. The C upgrade drops a few main guns, and adds a stack more AA instead. So a hull upgrade can switch the specialization of a ship too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I still feel this is a lot more like world of 'who aims best whilst going in a circle'.

No one really works as a team, they just steam off at the start of the game so it's irrelevant what ship type you're in. It's just a case of following the herd and hoping for the best. The game may as well be vs bots for all the difference it would make.

When engagements start there's no particular order to the fight. Everyone tends to tunnel vision so you can have multiple engagements going on around you with no focus firing. ie no one places importance on a ship type, just what they can fire at.. Also and I guess this is the narcissist in me but I don't feel like I have any particular input into the outcome in a game. In WoT if I play a good round I know it and if I play a really good round you can see the enemy crumble and you get the round win. In WoWs I don't really get any feeling of feedback or reward regardless of number of ships I kill or how many shots I put in on target. Maybe it's because stuff lives longer so getting in the shots just doesn't feel as satisfying and moreover to come back to my earlier points it seems quite common to win your own fight in your own quadrant and then realise your team have lost anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I still feel this is a lot more like world of 'who aims best whilst going in a circle'.

No one really works as a team, they just steam off at the start of the game so it's irrelevant what ship type you're in. It's just a case of following the herd and hoping for the best. The game may as well be vs bots for all the difference it would make.

When engagements start there's no particular order to the fight. Everyone tends to tunnel vision so you can have multiple engagements going on around you with no focus firing. ie no one places importance on a ship type, just what they can fire at.. Also and I guess this is the narcissist in me but I don't feel like I have any particular input into the outcome in a game. In WoT if I play a good round I know it and if I play a really good round you can see the enemy crumble and you get the round win. In WoWs I don't really get any feeling of feedback or reward regardless of number of ships I kill or how many shots I put in on target. Maybe it's because stuff lives longer so getting in the shots just doesn't feel as satisfying and moreover to come back to my earlier points it seems quite common to win your own fight in your own quadrant and then realise your team have lost anyway.

Thats actually like most online games. Teams can be usless. You can still do pretty well with a crap team if you are in the right position to take advantage of other peoples mistakes. They might need to increase the timer as some battles end in a draw even though one team could win given an extra few minutes.

It's early days and early tiers, this is to be expected. It's when it still happens at the higher tiers there's a problem. But like in WoT, even the worst simpleton can stick it out and make it to tier 10.

I'm still managing to do well, with a 61% WR so far, and only 20k XP to my Pensacola.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Started a few days ago and have to say I am really loving this. Destroyers are so much fun.

Had an experience last night on Fault Line map in a random battle. Managed to sneak with my Tier 3 Wickes right down the middle dodging a few folks and sneaked up behind two solo carriers, they were not impressed, both dead within about 30 seconds and managed to cripple another destroyer before b-lining it out of there. Netted 2165 XP for only 7 torpedo impacts and a few random shells :D

Unlocked my very first tier 5. New York battleship. Had only one game in it and it was disaster. I will be able to judge it only after full upgrades. Stock it's horrible!
    I really switched to cruisers now. A lot more fun and jack of all trades. Really don't like phoenix, but I manage to do really well in it hehe. Hairy Japanese bastard kuma is a lot of fun!

Unlocked my very first tier 5. New York battleship. Had only one game in it and it was disaster. I will be able to judge it only after full upgrades. Stock it's horrible!
    I really switched to cruisers now. A lot more fun and jack of all trades. Really don't like phoenix, but I manage to do really well in it hehe. Hairy Japanese bastard kuma is a lot of fun!
    It gets slightly better with time but the lack of gun upgrade hurts :/

I'm also on the verge of giving up on carriers (on Bogue, US tier V) as they appear to have minimal impact beyond hunting other planes at these tiers.

My main issue however is for what ever reason my key binding for slowing down (numpad 2) NEVER sticks; ever game I have to go in an add it as it's blank by default. Anyone got any good ideas?

Nody wrote: »
    I'm also on the verge of giving up on carriers (on Bogue, US tier V) as they appear to have minimal impact beyond hunting other planes at these tiers.

Very frustrating isn't it. Made me stop playing carriers as well because the dive bombers are near useless and there's no other useful config. I don't see why you just can't pick aircraft to load. It's a bit of an annoying limitation in my mind.

I haven't touched carriers yet and probably won't, they don't appeal to me at all. But at least they're not an explicitly immoral choice like arty in WoT.

I'm sticking with cruisers for now. They give a good mix of responsiveness and flexibility.

But that said, I'll start down the BB routes once the grind starts becoming stale on the cruisers.

I haven't touched carriers yet and probably won't, they don't appeal to me at all. But at least they're not an explicitly immoral choice like arty in WoT.
    The problem with carriers is unlike every other ship in the game they are limited in ammo. A normal carrier would carry one maybe two replacement groups of a given type of planes and once they are shot down (and that can be done very easily!) the carrier is useless.

The fact it's 100% defenceless to everything (inc. enemy airplanes) in the first place combined with running out of ammo very quickly means you're more likely to end up a liability than anything else. Keeping in mind a torpedo bomber will do 5k damage per torpedo to 15k+ for a DD and you'd have to ignore the planes to be hit by more than 1 in even a Battleship (and most BS can dodge all of them at least 50% of the time) with a 2min+ long reload to fly there and back again...

The only reason I'll keep going is for the AA missions you get (you can easily do 20+ planes by focusing down enemy air groups) but BS & Destroyer are definitely main lines.

The problem with carriers is unlike every other ship in the game they are limited in ammo. A normal carrier would carry one maybe two replacement groups of a given type of planes and once they are shot down (and that can be done very easily!) the carrier is useless.

The fact it's 100% defenceless to everything (inc. enemy airplanes) in the first place combined with running out of ammo very quickly means you're more likely to end up a liability than anything else. Keeping in mind a torpedo bomber will do 5k damage per torpedo to 15k+ for a DD and you'd have to ignore the planes to be hit by more than 1 in even a Battleship (and most BS can dodge all of them at least 50% of the time) with a 2min+ long reload to fly there and back again...

The only reason I'll keep going is for the AA missions you get (you can easily do 20+ planes by focusing down enemy air groups) but BS & Destroyer are definitely main lines.

You can manually torp bomb by holding alt. You need to predict where they will be. A good carrier player can do very well. I do agree about US carriers, you dont get enough xp for destroying planes and the loadouts are not great but Japanese carriers have even less reserve planes.

Carrier players are focused on damage and not scouting/protecting battleships. You should get xp for spotting destroyers as well as staying close to large ships with poor aa. You can spot torps further with planes but you don't get rewarded for all the good things you should be doing.

So yeah. New york is really annoying me... I think I am abandoning Battleships for now. For last few days I only played Cruisers and having a blast. Phoenix and Kuma ar the ones I play mostly. As much as I did not liked Pheonix at the start, but now I like it a lot, but Kuma still a lot more fun. I did unlocked Omaha last night, but yet to play a game in it. Damn work. :D

And lads, try playing Wot after playing WoW. WoT will feel like such a fast paced game lol! Even your slowest tanks feel like rockets! :D

• Advertisement

Potatoeman wrote: »
    You can manually torp bomb by holding alt. You need to predict where they will be. A good carrier player can do very well. I do agree about US carriers, you dont get enough xp for destroying planes and the loadouts are not great but Japanese carriers have even less reserve planes.
    The problem with doing alt. torpedo runs is with minimum range short of ignoring a plane you can easily turn a BS into only taking one (if any) torpedo hits. That's assuming your carrier guesses where you're going correctly. Against a Carrier (who tend to stand still) you can easily do a one run kill but most BS etc. tend to constantly move (and not be stupid enough to run through narrow gaps letting you do a free torpedo run on them in a narrow channel).
    Carrier players are focused on damage and not scouting/protecting battleships. You should get xp for spotting destroyers as well as staying close to large ships with poor aa. You can spot torps further with planes but you don't get rewarded for all the good things you should be doing.
    Except in 95% of the games the carriers are left alone to fend for themselves and once one flank gets overwhelmed they will go down. Most games I'm in the carrier is within the first five ships to die; usually first three and it's not from the enemy carriers...

Talking about destroyers to any destroyer player out there turn of your AA gun at the start of the game with "P". The destroyer AA guns are useless (I parked myself under 3 squads of circling planes at a sunk Carrier for 3 min and failed to kill a single plane...) but the moment they fire at any plane coming by the light you up even in smoke. Great way to spot destroyers by circling over them in their smoke while their AA gun keep lighting them up doing no real damage to the Carrier's planes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Been playing long enough to get 2 fully upgraded Tier3 ships.

In this short time i've come up against these criticisms:

1 - The tier difference is massive. Hurray, i went down one lane in my T2 to discover a T4. Well, thats a loss to me.

2 - The "ding" "Ding" "Ding" everytime you land a hit is irritating in the extreme.

3 - When i'm looking through the scope (viewfinder, rangefinder whatever its called) i don't like how it tracks your target ship. I find it really dissorientating in terms of knowing which way my ship is heading and what reaction my steering inputs are going to have. I would really prefere a manual tracking scheme.

4 - In WoT and WoW, there are clear gameplay differences between planes/tanks of different tiers. Lower level tanks and planes are nippy, nimble, higher levels are lumbering, cumbersome etc.
    In WoW, everything feels lumbering and cumbersome. I honestly can't discern any difference between a T1, T2, T3 cruiser.

5 - The maps need to be larger. Much larger. As it stands right now, once you are committed to a particular path, that's it. The small map size / lack of cover makes dissengagement difficult/impossible.

6 - These beasts just cannot be redirected to another area of the battlefield in any kind of reasonable time. "Help help! I need reinforcement!" "ok, sure, i'll be there in, oh, lets say 6 minutes". This is surprising, given how small the maps are. Everything needs a 50% speed boost.

Promising, but as stands right now, not worth the time. Will pop back in in a few months. I have a positive K/D ratio, so i'm chalking my dissatisfaction to gameplay issues as opposed to me sucking.

The problem with doing alt. torpedo runs is with minimum range short of ignoring a plane you can easily turn a BS into only taking one (if any) torpedo hits. That's assuming your carrier guesses where you're going correctly. Against a Carrier (who tend to stand still) you can easily do a one run kill but most BS etc. tend to constantly move (and not be stupid enough to run through narrow gaps letting you do a free torpedo run on them in a narrow channel).

Except in 95% of the games the carriers are left alone to fend for themselves and once one flank gets overwhelmed they will go down. Most games I'm in the carrier is within the first five ships to die; usually first three and it's not from the enemy carriers...

Talking about destroyers to any destroyer player out there turn of your AA gun at the start of the game with "P". The destroyer AA guns are useless (I parked myself under 3 squads of circling planes at a sunk Carrier for 3 min and failed to kill a single plane...) but the moment they fire at any plane coming by the light you up even in smoke. Great way to spot destroyers by circling over them in their smoke while their AA gun keep lighting them up doing no real damage to the Carrier's planes.

I havent bothered with carriers much since the wipe but I been owned by good ones. Ive seen players drop torps very close to ships and hit every one. Drop one load get the player to turn and nail them with the next two. US carriers with only one torp squad are nowhere near as good as Japanese due to their loadout. One torp squad just doesnt cut it.
    You can pick your target, hang around out of aa range until the player drops their guard then drop too.

As for positioning it depends, a good destroyer can sneak by but this is just as
    much a team positioning problem. You really have to multitask, watch the minimap, pick your targets place your planes and pick your time to strike.

The 'p' disable guns on dd's is a must also turning on alt to get ship types (why is this not on by default?).

A good manual torp carrier is freaking disgusting... Way more immoral than arty in WoT :P and it's not hard to do either. Quick youtube vid of it is all you need to get a good strike. The downside is if you mess your run you can stay in AA range for extended periods.

So yeah. New york is really annoying me... I think I am abandoning Battleships for now. For last few days I only played Cruisers and having a blast. Phoenix and Kuma ar the ones I play mostly. As much as I did not liked Pheonix at the start, but now I like it a lot, but Kuma still a lot more fun. I did unlocked Omaha last night, but yet to play a game in it. Damn work. biggrin.png

And lads, try playing Wot after playing WoW. WoT will feel like such a fast paced game lol! Even your slowest tanks feel like rockets! biggrin.png

Really didn't enjoy them until I got more citadel hits. You really have to get them but it makes them so much more unforgiving and leaves too much room for error. The dps on cruisers can compete with battleships and the random number generator of shots means fast and often will frequently beat slow and possibly devastating.

A good manual torp carrier is freaking disgusting... Way more immoral than arty in WoT tongue.png and it's not hard to do either. Quick youtube vid of it is all you need to get a good strike. The downside is if you mess your run you can stay in AA range for extended periods.

Lower tier battleships don't have great AA but plenty of cruisers do. There needs to be more incentive to encourage players to fill the roles they put into the game mechanics. Carriers should be spotting destroyers and guarding battleship, cruisers should be in front of battleships to use their AA and take advantage of both vessels range and reload rate.

Got the Sky in Fire mission today (20 airplane kills); went with my tier 5 US mod B. Carrier (2x fighters, 1x bombers) and ended up with 33 airplane kills... I literally speaking crippled the enemy carriers because with my double fighter group I decimated any of their single fighters group and could still go after their torpedo groups etc. Both Carriers ended up with zero planes left and being utterly useless which once again only reinforces to me the need to do something about airplanes in general for Carriers.

Played just few games in Omaha last night and even stock that thing is a beast. I can see myself having a lot of fun in this cruiser fully upgraded.
    Got my first game against tier 7s in my tier 5 new York... It felt like oceon simulator, but everyone fecking you up from ranges and you can't even reach to fight back and too slow to close the gap. Was freaking horrible.

Played just few games in Omaha last night and even stock that thing is a beast. I can see myself having a lot of fun in this cruiser fully upgraded.
    Got my first game against tier 7s in my tier 5 new York... It felt like oceon simulator, but everyone fecking you up from ranges and you can't even reach to fight back and too slow to close the gap. Was freaking horrible.

From my little bit of reading on the US BBs, it seems they founder a bit in the lower tiers, until tier 8 and up.

Far more fun to be had in the US cruisers spitting shells everywhere.

From my little bit of reading on the US BBs, it seems they founder a bit in the lower tiers, until tier 8 and up.

Far more fun to be had in the US cruisers spitting shells everywhere.

Cruisers are definetely way more fun. That extra maneuverability just adds so much. Peppering someone with a rain of your shells is a lot more satisfying then shooting once and doing 930 damage, then waiting half a minute and hoping not to **** up that next shot.
    I won't be able to manage all that battleship grind up to tier 8... Just shoot me here...

Any ideas when they will add Russian tree? As that's going to be the one for me. :)

• Advertisement

Next is Russian, then Kriegsmarine. No specific timeframes given.

Advertisement