Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone ever been on a game show?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

My daughter was on quiz one about 2 years ago, I knew 4 people who went on talk about....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

My pixelated face was on Crimecall a while back. Does that count?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was on a few quiz shows - BBJ, Where in the World, Challenging Times - but nothing where you win any kind of substantial cash prize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I was on "15 to 1" in the mid-1990s. They were good to me; I then lived only 30 miles outside London but I was still put up in a decent London hotel.

I got 2 questions right, but eventually my 3rd light went out over a question which I should have guessed at but I said I didn't know the answer to.

Thats my showbiz career in a nutshell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

The Works, got a free t-shirt and hat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Appeared on 3-2-1 many years ago, didn't do well in the actual show but struck up an instant rapport with Ted Rogers and Dusty Bin in the Green Room afterwards. Ended up going out on the town with them after we left the Thames Television studios. Ted was regaling me of his showbiz anecdotes while Dusty could hardly sit still, he was a hoor for the women whereas Ted was just a machine when it came to the 'VAT', I'd say he would have drank it out of a sweaty sock.

Anyway Ted was telling me that ITV wanted him out, they wanted a bigger name to front a new show. They wanted a catchy rap to replace the 3-2-1 catchphrase and finger thingy (you know the one - those of you old enough to remember are trying to do it right now :pac:)

Anyway Ted said he was going in to resign the next day, they'd forced him out, I tried to talk him out of it but he was having none of it. Some weeks later 3-2-1 was axed and not long after Bruce Forsyth was on our screens singing a little catchy ditty every Saturday evening entitled, "You Bet". Looking back now I admire the way Ted handled himself despite him never working on mainstream TV again.. Dusty Bin thought he was untouchable, the star of UTV but he got the bullet also when he refused to do a Sunday night chat show with Bully from Bullseye, he thought he was still good enough for Prime Time on a Saturday night. His life spiralled out of control after that and in the end he was found dead in a Bangkok hotel after a cocaine overdose. The two ladyboys he had 'met' the night before said he was more stiff in the morning than he'd been the night before :(

Anyway it was a great night out the three of us had, thanks for the memories guys

http://www.ukgameshows.com/p/images/thumb/e/e6/321_ted_with_bin.jpg/200px-321_ted_with_bin.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I was on a dating show on TG4 years ago called "Cleamhnas". SBB presented it.

Basically, I was a poor student at the time and I was offered 100 púnt to do it, and I would be put up in a hotel in Galway city. I was living in Galway at the time anyway so there would be no travel expenses - I jumped at the chance thinking "Sure nobody that knows me will see the show anyway."

Format of the show was that one person sat one side of the divide, and three prospects sat on the other side of the divide, same as the one in England at the time, can't think of the name of it because I never watched it - but the exception in this case was that it was the girls' parent that was asking the questions.

I'll be honest, they were desperate and I was filling in for someone that had pulled out - I was 20 at the time and the other two contestants were 26 and 32 respectively. The girl was 24. I figured there was no way in hell that I was going to win anyway so if I got a chance to go down in flames then I would take it.

We were given three questions before the show started so that we could prepare the answers. Fair enough. One question was "What do you think about meeting people online?", another was "What do you think of sunbeds?" and I can't remember the third question.

So we get asked the questions anyway and I give boring answers. They go to a break. After they come back SBB says something to the father like "They're three lovely lads aren't they? I wonder would they treat her well, like make her breakfast in bed? Sure we'll ask them!"

So a surprise question thrown in, they go to me first and I spotted my chance. Question was "An ndéanfá bricfeast sa leabaidh di ?" ( Would you make her breakfast in bed ? )

My response was "Do dheinfhin gan dabht, ach b'fheidir go ngeobhach sí níos mó ná bricfeast !"

Translation : "I would without doubt, but she might get more than breakfast."

Crowd exploded laughing, father did not look like a happy camper but I didn't care. Wasn't picked of course :)

( To my eternal regret, I actually got the grammar of that phrase wrong, I should have said "B'fheidir go bhfaigheadh sí níos mó ná bricfeast." )

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭rodgered

Yes No game show on The Den, won the wrangler jacket and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My GF (long before she met me I hasten to add!) was a on TG4's dating show - Paisean Faisean and another one called "Eochair An Ghrá".

She "won a date", a few dinners and a new dress for her troubles!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nux

Did 'Risk a Chrisp' back in the day on the DJ Kat Show

(edit I think it was the DJ Kat Show) :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

I was on Scratch Saturday many years ago with Mary Kingston. Had to pass a basin of water only using legs. Soaked.

Was also a finalist dancing on the Fanta Roadshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 VideoKid

I had a makeover done on xpose 4 years ago. Got to keep the dress and jewelry but I've no idea where they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Was on Challenging Times and learned Kevin Myres is as smarmy an arrogant a git as he comes across in the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

i was on nationwide in 1999

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was on The Works when I was about 10. I was the snotty little nerd who got beaten by one point by a snotty big nerd. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Armelodie wrote: »
    When you see people touching the screen, it hardly ever works, some geek in the control room presses the keyboard instead

I knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

won a trip to new york with marty whelan on winning streak a few years ago. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

I've never actually been on a gameshow, but I'd happily give my left tit to be on Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,742 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I was on challenging times with Kevin Myers. We won.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

I was in the crowd for "fun house" in the 80s it was filmed in my home city of Glasgow so got to see the action along with the rest of my school it was an enjoyable day out, most of it spent trying to have a look up the blonde twins shorts, shouting obscenities at Pat Sharp & generally being jealous of the little plummy english school kids winning gameboys an skateboards etc'etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I was on the short lived tv quiz 'delegation'. We lost. The host was sound though. Kept taking the piss out of everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Suas11 wrote: »
    I knew it!

Ya actually now that I think of out (I'm open to correction here) when derek asks you what number you are going to choose and you say when he asks the second time and you say 5 again then you press button 5..some dude in the control room actually presses the 5, because you being a much savage from down the country might actually press 4 by mistake.. So I think the control room guy takes your verbal cue.

.which is good as nobody has a bloody clue what's going on half the time, i spent ages watching the show on the tellys around the studio rather than looking at dreck, like I was at home watching someone else on the show.

I figured out the secret to winning the big prize on the spin the wheel btw (but I forgot to use the method when I got the chance);)

Advertisement