Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldi milk

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No just loiter in supermarket car parks. ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

It is the milk or their fridges.

Ah no, I'd say it's the trousers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

lamoss wrote: »
    I think the problem lies in the way the milk is stored in aldi/lidl. It is stored in open type cages in a cold area which are not cool enough. Same for the cartons of milk above these units.
    I buy milk there a lot and normally dont have any problems but do get the odd one that goes off quick. I always try to get the ones with the longest due by date on the bottles. The way they operate is to shift all the oldest stock first before restocking, they let the old stock stay on the shelves untill the shelves are empty, then bring in all the new stock.If you drink lots of milkand go though the bottles in 2 or 3 days your ok but if you dont use as much and get near the use by date ,that is what the problem is.

A lot of other retailers store their milk in enclosed types of fridges or chillers which keep it fresher longer

Most retailers I have seen store the milk in open fridges/open fridges in roll around cages, I cant recall when I last saw milk stored in a closed fridge, all Tescos I have been to store it that way.
    Also unless you have proof, is it acceptable to say the temp of the fridges is too low? could be any number of factors, when i started reading the thread I noticed how many low number posters were putting the digs into Aldi/Lidl milk ;)? and a few mentions of a particular brand.
    I buy milk in tesco/Aldi/Lidl/ (and recently centra/spar as got stuck), all recently, didnt notice any problems with the milk even in the heat,
    having said that i wonder if people are monitoring the temps of their own fridges?? I have a basic thermometer in mine (clips on to a shelf/purchased seperately) and I upped the setting on my fridge lately to compensate for the recent warm weather as I noticed the thermometer was reading higher than usual, that probably in conjunction with milk sitting in cars that were sitting in the heat? maybe that contributed.

Never had a problem with Aldi/Lidl Milk, all comes from cows, right?;)
    maybe even same herds???

I cant say that I've noticed that issue?
    I'll test that theory now as I bought a litre of milk yesterday, so
    do you mean 3-4 days after it has been purchased, 3-4 days after it has been opened?
    How does this correspond with the date on the carton??

I have noticed something else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Merch wrote: »
    I have noticed something else though.

Care to enlighten us?? ;)

• Advertisement

Well, I'll wait for jimmeboy to answer the questions I posed and also 3-4 days and I'll let you know ;)

Care to enlighten us?? ;)

Replying as I said I would, been more than a few days, my Aldi milk didnt go off :), some didnt last 4 days, (meaning I drank it)not sure how people make a litre last 4 days. At first I was surprised the last low count poster had gone?? then I just come to the conclusion that what I noticed was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Replying as I said I would, been more than a few days, my Aldi milk didnt go off :), some didnt last 4 days, not sure how people make a litre last 4 days. At first I was surprised the last low count poster had gone?? then I just come to the conclusion that what I noticed was right.

What was that then?????????

Guill wrote: »
    What was that then?????????

low count posters, thats what I was thinking :)
    my Aldi milk is still ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

low count posters, thats what I was thinking :)
    my Aldi milk is still ok

Surely your not implying low count posters with vested interests use sites such as this to bad mouth competitors? :eek::D

Never much had a problem with supermarket milk do I did come across one lady that believed all Milk in supermarkets should have a 7 day shelflife even after opening.

• Advertisement

Surely your not implying low count posters with vested interests use sites such as this to bad mouth competitors? :eek::D

Never much had a problem with supermarket milk do I did come across one lady that believed all Milk in supermarkets should have a 7 day shelflife even after opening.

I never said anything about vested interests :), I assumed these were individuals with an axe to grind, sour grapes, I mean milk, sour milk, in their fridge or the back seat of the car or wherever :)

Supermarket milk, not what I call it, I mostly shop in supermarkets, its all just milk. I dont call convenience store milk, convenience store milk? too inconvenient.

edit, that kind of sounds like drunk posting? isn't, just late night sleep deprived posting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 auriol

I bought a litre of Aldi Slimline Milk on Sat 2 Mar - best before 15 mar. The milk was bright lemon yellow in colour. No strange smell, but I didn't taste it. Brought it back.
    This is my second bad experience with Aldi Slimline milk. Like some others below I got some a year ago that went off almost immediately after opening it; no problems from then until this.

auriol wrote: »
    I bought a litre of Aldi Slimline Milk on Sat 2 Mar - best before 15 mar. The milk was bright lemon yellow in colour. No strange smell, but I didn't taste it. Brought it back.
    This is my second bad experience with Aldi Slimline milk. Like some others below I got some a year ago that went off almost immediately after opening it; no problems from then until this.

I may or may not be alone in this, but I don t believe a low count poster should be able to weigh in with either harsh criticism or glowing reports of anything until they have a few more posts under their belt.
    You may not have experienced a strange smell but others might.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

@ Merch - if you have a problem with a post, please us the Report button. It is not up to you to decide how many posts someone should have before they're allowed an opinion.

This thread is more than 6 months old so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement