Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry Injury Update – James O’Donoghue.
    James O’Donoghue injured his shoulder when he fell following a tackle by the goalkeeper in yesterday’s All Ireland Football Quarter final tie with Kildare.

The Kerry Medical Team immediately realigned the shoulder and an X-Ray afterwards showed that there was no serious injury sustained.

He will have a routine MRI Scan and will rest for a few days before beginning rehab and a graduated return to action.

From the Kerry Gaa Website.

Good news it seems, but is graduated the right word? I'd have used gradual.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

DDC1990 wrote:
    Every article mentions how it was a wonderful tackle from Donnellan, and the Sunday game didn't even bring it up!

Tbh I thought it was his knee then he was holding his shoulder, I genuinely thought they just took him off to save him. It didn't look that bad from where I was nobody thought it was a black card around me, and before you ask I haven't been in the hill since 1997. :)

Had a great view of him walking off and down the tunnell and he seemed ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

The dubs appear to be getting nervous and ratty after yesterday.

No harm to see them rattled, it's their all Ireland to lose though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thought it was a good tackle also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭wonga77

I thought it was a good tackle tbh, JOD didnt seem to hit the ground too hard but shoulder injuries are extremely easy to reoccur. Ive dislocated both my shoulders playing football in the past and have damaged them so much that they still pop out from time to time, sometimes doing the simplest of things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

What's the normal recovery time for shoulder popping out?

The slow motion replays make that "tackle" look a lot better than it was.

depends really on what damage if any was done to the tissue surrounding the joint. My shoulder pops in and out itself, sometimes I can play on, other times it might last a few days or weeks. Im supposed to go for shoulder surgery on both but keep putting it off, let the last hour be the hardest and all that. Which shoulder did JOD have surgery on before?

Minors in control vs Sligo.

1-6 to 0-3 at Half Time

Conor Geaney Goal for Kerry.

Kerry 2-8 Sligo 0-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

http://corkgaa.ie/news/363765/Statement_issued_by_Cork_County_GAA_Board_Brian_Cuthbert

Our neighbours have lost the plot.
    The tremendous performance of the team in the drawn Munster Final has been widely acknowledged, and it is quite probable that but for a totally wrong refereeing decision in that game, Cork would now be in an All-Ireland Semi-Final. The short turn-around time between the replay, played in exhausting weather conditions, and the qualifier game against Kildare, cannot be ignored as a factor in that defeat.

• Advertisement

Kerry trun the bench and get sloppy.

Kerry 2-11 Sligo 1-6 with 4 minutes to go.

Good win.

FT: Kerry 2-12 Sligo 1-6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

The dubs appear to be getting nervous and ratty after yesterday.

No harm to see them rattled, it's their all Ireland to lose though.

Whats all this bitterness Kerry fans have towards Dublin may I ask? I think its Kerrys all Ireland to lose after yesterdays performance. Dublin didn't show anything that they will win All Ireland but early days and plenty football to be played yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

congratulations to the minors

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Ginzo

I'd be very surprised if JOD is fit for the semi. The MRI will tell all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Amprodude wrote: »
    Whats all this bitterness Kerry fans have towards Dublin may I ask? I think its Kerrys all Ireland to lose after yesterdays performance. Dublin didn't show anything that they will win All Ireland but early days and plenty football to be played yet.

Not so much bitterness, more wanting to get the monkey off our backs after the last few years, and the sense that it's looking like a two-horse race. Of course, the hype machine plays its part, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Disgusted with the coverage of the O'Donoghue incident.

Every article mentions how it was a wonderful tackle from Donnellan, and the Sunday game didn't even bring it up!

Am I missing something? It was clear at the match that he grabbed O'Donoghue around the leg and ankle and dragged him down. It is clear from every single replay. If that tackle is made by another player out the field its a guaranteed free and a black card.

Is there a new rule in football, that allows any contact once you touch the ball? Maybe that's why our countyman awarded the Fermanagh goal, shur didn't Quigley make contact with the ball?

In an incident where the Footballer of the Year was taken out of it and could miss the rest of the championship, that tackle has been glossed over and even lauded.

I knew he was injured straight away, cos he didn’t start throwing the arms up looking for a penalty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

What's the normal recovery time for shoulder popping out?

The slow motion replays make that "tackle" look a lot better than it was.
    The replay clearly shows contact being made with the ball when no or minimal contact has been made with JOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Firstly, DDC, the O'Donoghue incident was not a penalty. If a player tries to attack the ball, does so successfully and there is contact due to momentum after that, so be it. It wasn't a penalty.

Slight worry with the injury that he won't be 100% now, but hopefully he recovers well..again.

We learned a little bit from the game, tempered by the fact that Kildare were on par with my club under 10s tactically and defensively. Kerry DID play some great stuff though and dominated midfield which meant the hammering was actually inevitable.

Couple of not-so-hot individual performances, so not flat out flying yet. Training should be interesting in next few weeks. Darran, BJK, Donaghy, Paul Geaney, Buckley, Sheehan will all be like lunatics looking for a starting berth. Crowley also. The team that started Sunday is NOT going to be the starting team for the next game (or final if it happens) I predict.

Was delighted for O'Brien as I knew he was better than he showed in 1st Cork game. We are going to need pace in the half forward line, and he certainly provides that.

What an athelete David Moran is, after everything he has had to deal with in terms of very serious injuries to get back to the level he is now operating at, is a testament to his ability and dedication.

• Advertisement

• Should Kerry follow the precedent set by the Cork County Board and issue a statement saying we were robbed by the ref in 1982? *

* may be tongue in cheek!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Radio5

Should Kerry follow the precedent set by the Cork County Board and issue a statement saying we were robbed by the ref in 1982? *

Not to mention 2011.................................:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Former Kerry hurling manager Eamonn Kelly says the GAA must boost quickly the profile of the Christy Ring Cup or the competition will lose its appeal to emerging counties.

Kelly also feels that Croke Park then needs to take a more concerted approach to helping the competition's winners bridge the gap to Liam MacCarthy Cup standard.

The former Kingdom boss is concerned that the Ring Cup is presently more of an afterthought than a showpiece.
    "It's ran off over just a few weeks," he says. "Games are sandwiched and come at you fast and furious. Then you reach a final and it's played in Croke Park in front of no-one with only the echo of your own voice coming back at you. I know players want to play there but to have any future the Ring Cup final needs to be played before a big qualifier, an All-Ireland quarter-final, or even a semi-final. That really shouldn't be too much to ask."
    After two years in charge of the Kingdom, Kelly has just stepped down from his position. His resignation was a huge blow to the Kerry players with whom he had built up a serious relationship. He doesn't want to see them take a step back in his absence, but feels the powers that be can invest more to help cultivate their progress.

Kelly took over a group of disaffected players and turned them into winners. But he points out that like Westmeath, Carlow and Laois, who have all made the step from the Ring Cup, Kerry - and the likes of Kildare - need continued help.
    "In Kerry, it's not a money problem. The hurlers would get more gear than a Tipp hurler, for example. The problem there fixtures. And the fact that we played a Ring Cup semi-final on a Saturday and the day after eight of our players were wanted to play senior club football with a Ring Cup final just six days away. People just couldn't understand why we didn't want the lads to play football whereas I couldn't understand how they could be expected to.
    "In other counties it is very often a money or resources problem, however."
    The GAA currently fund targeted and designated hurling counties with a 50,000 sum each year but one football manager from a developing county told the Sunday Independent this week that it would take a lump sum of 250,000 euro to implement the strength and conditioning and underage programmes necessary to transform the county into serial challengers for honours.

With no hope of that, it has been left to some managers to put their own money into projects. Kelly says that the game badly needs new faces at the top and admires the steps that Cheddar Plunkett took with Laois. He says they have made a breakthrough of sorts.
    "Cheddar took it to a professional level bringing in the likes of Ger Cunningham (Newtownshandrum) and Brendan Cummins and holding a pre-season regime and they have made the leap to a fair extent.

"They have taken the place of Offaly in the Leinster championship next year and that's huge. Westmeath and Carlow are not far off making the breakthrough either but they all need help. And they need it now.
    "Rushing off the Christy Ring Cup in four or five weeks is ridiculous, they need to look at it and not rush it as much. And then they need to take a leaf out of Sean Kelly's book and put it on a bigger stage. It needs that bigger platform. Croke Park was empty when we played there and as a manager that's fine because all I'm doing is looking out onto field, but where does it get you in general? Who is talking about the competiton? Do we put it on before bigger game? Or move to a smaller venue? Either way action is needed."
    Kelly, who also guided his club Kildangan to All Ireland intermediate honours and delivered a first North Tipp title in 75 years soon after, also says that it will be a scourge and a blight on the game if the emerging counties try to implement defensive systems that are currently all the rage in the game.
    "There is a case to be made for employing that system because it does work but something needs be looked at in that area too, whether you would experiment in a competition and make it 13 a side. You can't argue with Waterford's results - they justify what they are doing but the danger is teams at all levels will copy them and we will lose what is special about hurling."

The Kildangan man says rather than pouring money into weaker hurling counties the GAA needs to install more full time development officers and get into schools early. They also need to educate officials as to the benefits of being a dual county.
    "From a Kerry point of view I was drawing from eight clubs in the north of the county - and I think they have the most passionate club championship I've ever seen but we need to spread the gospel to south Kerry and other areas. I was made aware of three very good players in Kenmare so I rang them to join panel and they never even returned the call.
    "Players like them - and officials who stand back and let it slide by - need to be educated. We need to change the culture. It won't happen overnight, but constant evolvement and development of the game are needed, especially in counties like Kerry who will be in Division 1B next year. They can't make it on their own. It's only now they are getting going and only now they need real help from the top."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/the-christy-ring-final-is-played-in-front-of-noone-with-only-the-echo-of-your-own-voice-coming-back-at-you-31421404.html

Not so much bitterness, more wanting to get the monkey off our backs after the last few years, and the sense that it's looking like a two-horse race. Of course, the hype machine plays its part, too.

Kerry normally don't have to wait very long time get monkeys off their back. On present performance they would wipe Dublin off the field. But like I said no All Ireland's are won in QFs stages.

Should Kerry follow the precedent set by the Cork County Board and issue a statement saying we were robbed by the ref in 1982? *

What about Cork doing the same for 1988? Ref player 7 mins of overtime and I think that ref was from a certain neighbouring County* close to Cork. Also what about the 2013 hurling final.

*Could be my tongue in cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Amprodude wrote: »
    What about Cork doing the same for 1988? Ref player 7 mins of overtime and I think that ref was from a certain neighbouring County* close to Cork. Also what about the 2013 hurling final.

*Could be my tongue in cheek.

I think the favourite fact is that the same ref denied Limerick a certain penalty in 2010 in a game Cork won by 2 points.

For extra-bonus marks that game was only 6 days after Cork won the previous round.

Will Cork be sending their winners medals for picking up Sam up to Down for that?

Literally couldn't make it up.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

As I suspected, Kerry Juniors flying it in the lead up to half time.

1-9 to 0-2 after 26mins

Edit: Mayo fight back. 1-9 to 0-4

4 points in a row for Mayo.

1-9 to 0-6 at Half Time.

Seems like Kerry switched off after the goal.

• Advertisement

Congrats to the Juniors.

All Ireland champions.

2-18 to 0-10

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement