Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long will it take to avoid the M50 toll in the morning rush hour

• 25-07-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I commute from Swords to Sandyford via M50, I am wondering how much time it will add to my journey if I exit from Junction 6 and join M50 at Junction 7. Thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've done it a few times out of rush hour. Its basically a painful process, all the alternate routes are deliberately crap and it basically means going through Lucan, Chapelizod or Leixlip. Its not worth it at all. You're talking 15 minutes in the difference outside of rush hour, god knows what at the height of traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 wonderer2015

Thanks very much Chris for your tips, think I have to go through M50 to save the valuable time, especially in the morning time, is jut not worth it to take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks very much Chris for your tips, think I have to go through M50 to save the valuable time, especially in the morning time, is jut not worth it to take the chance.

Also worth noting that as bad as the M50 can be, the cost of the tolls that you'd save would be rapidly eaten up by the extra fuel costs of slower stop-start traffic of trying to avoid them.

The only way to (possibly) save really is either move closer or find a job nearer to where you are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

As OP has figured out there are very few Liffey bridges above Sarah Bridge/Islandbridge. Ignoring the tollbridge only Chapelizod and Lucan are useful for this purpose.

Bear in mind that LUAS will be to very nearly Finglas in a few years so you will have a direct link to Sandyford from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

The only way to (possibly) save really is either move closer or find a job nearer to where you are now.

Not for everyone obviously but motorbikes are toll free on the m50 and the East Link. If commuting Swords to Sandyford by motorbike 5 days a week throughout the year the savings would be around €1000 a year vs. doing it in a car. Also I've noticed the m50 clogging up to almost a halt during rush hour lately which is frustrating in a car but easily dealt with on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

My favourite alternative route is the R149 from Leixlip to Clonee, but it does add time even in the off-peak, let alone at peak times. I'd definitely avoid Lucan though, at any cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭SeanW

trellheim wrote: »
    Bear in mind that LUAS will be to very nearly Finglas in a few years so you will have a direct link to Sandyford from there.
    Are we not seeing a problem here?

Advertisement