Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus Eireann routes 109/109A Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

109 double decker broke down this evening on way from Dublin to Cavan at the bent elbow.
    How many breakdowns are actually happening going by the fact that there's frequent mentions here, yet there's more unreported?
    It's crazy that it's so common for relatively new busses to just give up the ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ailbheg

109 double decker broke down this evening on way from Dublin to Cavan at the bent elbow.
    How many breakdowns are actually happening going by the fact that there's frequent mentions here, yet there's more unreported?
    It's crazy that it's so common for relatively new busses to just give up the ghost.

The buses are 7 years old and many (most?) have done a lot of mileage, so that'd take its toll on them. Not saying it's acceptable that it's becoming a regular occurrence though.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭malene

Are buses that break down , subject to an independent review or MOT whereby everything is checked and cannot be allowed on the road until it is all fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

malene wrote: »
    Are buses that break down , subject to an independent review or MOT whereby everything is checked and cannot be allowed on the road until it is all fixed.

It does make you wonder if they implemented all the maintenance after the kentstown tragedy. You often see warning lights on the dashes when boarding the bus but I haven't had a good look at them.

I was on the 109a a few weeks ago and the air suspension had failed he kept going tho, thought the bus was going to rattle apart not to mention how uncomfortable it felt especially going over speed ramps.

For a long time there was one particular bus on the 109 route that would breakdown regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

Wow, just came across this thread! 65 pages of replies regarding the bus route i regularly use!! Don't know how i didn't see this thread before!

So does anyone know when Bus Eireann is going to start applying the routes it has outlined at the beginning of January?
    I cant wait for every Cavan bus to travel direct via port tunnel and M3 and first stop Kells! I've spent to many hours of my life stuck in traffic in Phisborough,Cabra, Blanch SC, Dunshaughlin and Navan!!!

Although these were only proposed routes!! They better not have gotten my hopes up for nothing!!

• Advertisement

what are the alternatives to the regular 109 now that the strike will happen on friday and saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭tom23

Wow, just came across this thread! 65 pages of replies regarding the bus route i regularly use!! Don't know how i didn't see this thread before!

So does anyone know when Bus Eireann is going to start applying the routes it has outlined at the beginning of January?
    I cant wait for every Cavan bus to travel direct via port tunnel and M3 and first stop Kells! I've spent to many hours of my life stuck in traffic in Phisborough,Cabra, Blanch SC, Dunshaughlin and Navan!!!

Although these were only proposed routes!! They better not have gotten my hopes up for nothing!!

I hope they come in soon it's taking consistently an hour just to get to bkanchsrdstown from bus aras. An average of 100 / 110 minutes during peak to Navan just not acceptable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

malene wrote: »
    what are the alternatives to the regular 109 now that the strike will happen on friday and saturday?

Sillan Tours would be the only other daily service that covers Navan to Dublin, but it doesn't run throughout the whole day, like the 109.

It runs five buses Monday to Friday in the morning to Dublin and then back home in the evening. These buses stop in Navan Square at 6.40am, 7.10am, 7.35am and 10.10am. Its service that leaves Kingscourt at 7am stops at the Ardboyne at 7.36am.

Its services from Dublin pick up at Nassau Street and Parnell Street - It has been picking up at Cumberland Street instead of Parnell Street during the roadworks for the Luas. Its stop on Parnell Street is near where Matthews Coaches pick up, opposite The Welcome Inn.

Its last bus from Dublin back is 6.30pm from Nassau Street.

It runs one bus up on Saturday mornings and one bus home.

On Sunday evenings it runs one bus up and back down at 8.30pm.

I guess they'll be giving priority to its regular customers on the days of the strike, in cases where buses fill.

I remember on its facebook page at the time of the last strike, in May 2013, that it was stated that it'd give priority to its regular customers on the days of the Bus Éireann strikes.

here is the statement from its facebook from May 10th 2013:

"We want to reassure ALL of our customers that should the Bus Eireann strike go ahead for Monday we will be looking after our regular customers before those affected by the strike. There will be no worries for any of you regarding seating on the Coaches. See you Monday as always".

http://sillan.ie/

https://www.facebook.com/SillanCoaches

http://sillan.ie/images/sillantours_inside.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭JohnPPP

We're screwed basically aren't we? Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

It is even worse for people commuting from the likes of Cavan town and Virginia because there are no private operators on that route as far as I know.

• Advertisement

One option, while the strike is taking place from midnight tonight until 9am Sunday morning, would be to get Collins Coaches to and from Slane. Collins Coaches also serve Collon and Ardee on its Carrickmacross - Dublin service.

(I understand the strike is from midnight tonight until 9am Sunday morning.)

http://www.collinscoaches.ie/images/collins_coaches_to_dublin_may_2015.pdf

http://www.collinscoaches.ie/images/collins_coaches_from_dublin_may_2015.pdf

Its last bus Monday to Saturday from Lower Abbey Street, Dublin is 9pm. and on Sunday the last bus from from Lower Abbey Street, Dublin is 8.30pm

Matthews Coaches which run services to and from Drogheda and Dublin might be another option. Matthews Coaches run buses throughout the day to and from Dundalk and Drogheda to Dublin. Their last bus from Dublin Monday to Saturday is 11.30pm and on Sunday the last bus from Dublin is 11pm.

http://commuter.matthews.ie/images/pdf/DundalkRev9Oct2014WEBPAGE.PDF

The last Irish Rail service from Connolly Station to Drogheda each night is 11.37pm

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/15_-_bray_dublin_dundalk_nov_14_1.pdf?v=8raunpa

I think these services are the nearest you can get to Navan, by public transport, in light of the strike going ahead tonight at midnight until Sunday morning at 9am.

Bus Éireann's statement today says that it is trying to avert the strike, but as it stands it sounds like the strike is from midnight tonight until Sunday morning at 9am.

"Bus Éireann - Customer Information Update".

"Bus Éireann wishes to advise customers that due to the threat of industrial action by some employees there may be disruption to services on Friday, 1 May and Saturday, 2 May 2015. Every effort is still being made however to avert strike action".
    "If there will be any disruption to services, Bus Éireann will keep customers informed via this website, social media including Twitter @buseireann, local and national media or by calling 01-836 6111".

"Bus Éireann apologises to customers and regrets any inconvenience this may cause to them."

Thursday, 30th April, 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭joegriffinjnr

Well folks, some shiny new double deck coaches have arrived in to Broadstone depo. Some of these will enter service on the 109 displacing single decks off the route. It will also reduce the pressure on the current double decks and hopefully reduce breakdown rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Commuter109

Anyone with an update or any futher info on the consultataion that took place at the beginning of this year and when we might see proposed changes? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Anyone with an update or any futher info on the consultataion that took place at the beginning of this year and when we might see proposed changes? Thanks

One would imagine that, as it involved quite an expansion of services, it will be dependent upon all of the new buses being delivered and new drivers recruited.

Well folks, some shiny new double deck coaches have arrived in to Broadstone depo. Some of these will enter service on the 109 displacing single decks off the route. It will also reduce the pressure on the current double decks and hopefully reduce breakdown rates.

http://www.evoke.ie/news/e600k-bus-eireann-blunder-bus-too-long-to-steer-around-corners

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Could anyone confirm for me where the 01:45 109N leaves from in Navan?

I will be taking it on Friday night for the first time and can't seem to find where the stop actually is.

Is there anything else I need to know? Does one need to get there especially early?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

As far as I know it goes from the usual stop square.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Could anyone confirm for me where the 01:45 109N leaves from in Navan?

I will be taking it on Friday night for the first time and can't seem to find where the stop actually is.

Is there anything else I need to know? Does one need to get there especially early?

Yes, Slippin Jimmy is correct.

It picks up at the 109 bus stop at Market Square outside Tommy Reilly's newsagents, which is beside Holly's Kitchen coffee shop.

The 109 N bus does a service from Dublin, at 12.30am, from Bus Aras and after it serves Ratoath, and Dunshaughlin, it gets to Navan at around 1.40am. It drops off at the Mercy Convent stop on Railway Street at around 1.40am and then will turn right onto Trimgate Street and go down to the Market Square to start a service at 1.45am back to Dublin.

It then does another service at 3.30am from Dublin back to Navan and then another return service from Navan at 4.45am to Dublin.

It is a separate 12 euros single journey fare. If you are buying a return ticket from Dublin, if you get a 109 bus tomorrow from Dublin to Navan, you will not be able to use that return ticket on the 1.45am 109 N.

On the timetable below, it states:

"Please note that Standard Day Return and Monthly Return tickets are not valid on Nightrider Services. Free Travel passes issued by Department of Social and Family Affairs are not valid on Nightrider services".

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1293185310-109N.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

As far as I know it goes from the usual stop square.
    Yes, Slippin Jimmy is correct.

It picks up at the 109 bus stop at Market Square outside Tommy Reilly's newsagents, which is beside Holly's Kitchen coffee shop.

Thank you both so much!

See another LD broke down just outside Dunshaughlin this morning. The buses are really falling apart!

• Advertisement

See another LD broke down just outside Dunshaughlin this morning. The buses are really falling apart!

Saw one broken down in Cabra on Wednesday as well . Hope there is no truth in that story about the new buses been to long to navigate around Navan

Saw one broken down in Cabra on Wednesday as well . Hope there is no truth in that story about the new buses been to long to navigate around Navan

It's looking like the story is true. I overheard a driver and passenger commenting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

Another one broken down tonight, also serious issues with the air con on most of the double deckers

crank_1975 wrote: »
    Another one broken down tonight, also serious issues with the air con on most of the double deckers

So true. I feel sorry for regular commuters who have to put up with this cr@p. I have got this bus from Cavan 6 times in the last 4 months and only on two occasions did the bus have working air con and not break down

Does the 109A pass by Atrium/ Axis Civic center on Main street, Ballymun or within walking distance of it going to and coming from airport?

Any word on the proposed changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Whatsdastory

What a joke! last January a new route was proposed Cavan -Kells - Dublin direct. No word from Bus Eireann since!!?
    Buses too big to fit into Navan!!? Is that true!!? Could someone please update me!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes, the new tri-axle coaches were found to be too long to drive through Navan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

They still can't manage to drive in the bus lane either

• Advertisement

On the 109. Got on in Cavan at 8am and only leaving Navan. Ridiculous. How the hell do people do this every day?

Advertisement