Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Holiday Request

Options
  • 16-08-2011 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

Just want to get people's opinion on an issue:

I applied for a single day's leave in 5 weeks time. I was subsequently sent a form from HR to explain how my daily tasks will be performed when I am out of the office. I am a debtors administrator with noone reporting to me. If someone else was to cover my job, that person needs someone else to cover theirs.

I believe this is an issue for my manager to address. They are actually in the process of recruiting an extra person because the office staff are stretched enough.

Am I being unreasonable by telling them that I am not filling out this form?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Are you permanent?

How your role is substituted is not your responsability. Cheeky bastards

Then again debt collection = diminshed sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Thanks.

Yes I am permanent.

I know, would never look for sympathy there. All I'll say is that debtors was never part of my plan but in the current climate (redundancy) there's bills to be paid. I'm a qualified accountant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

Unless you are managing staff that you can delegate your duties to the issue of how your tasks are re-assigned is one for your manager. If it were me I would email the HR Dept and advise them that your are passing the form on to your immediate superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Do I read it correctly: you asked for a single day off 5 weeks in advance and it's a problem for someone?? What if you got sick tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Horsebox9000

Previous job of mine had the same issue with another dude.

He was basically a system admin for all of Europe, no one else in there could do his job. He told them tough to their faces as he has the right to those days and it is not his fault the company don't have sufficent resources to cover him.

You're entilted to your holidays, take them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭D.McC

OP, quick question.

Who is doing your job, while your doing HR's job? ;)

What I mean is, finding someone to cover your work in the job of the HR department.

Put in for an extra 4 days leave and enjoy the week off. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It might be HR's job, or it might be the OP's manager's job - depends on the organisation. Either way, it sounds completely unreasonable of them. 5 weeks notice for one day's leave is a generous amount of notice to give, let alone them asking you to worry about something that's not your responsibility.

Advertisement