Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone here on a diet?

• 14-03-2005 6:14pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

please post your low-fat quick to cook recipies here. examples of a daily menu would be appreciated too!
    heres mine:
    Brek: bowl of fruit with natrual yoghurt (low-fat) and jordans muslie
    Lunch: ryvita with low fat spread and ham...about 5.
    bowl of lentil and veg soup.
    Dinner: pasta dish.....pasta and a can of campbells soup!

junk food addict trying to go straight!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

God Purdee, I couldn't eat what you eat. I follow low-carb and have done now 18 months. It helped me so much and also cured all my irritable bowel problems. If I ate all that wheat and carb, I'd be bloated like a balloon.

Typical for me is
    (a) omlette or protein shake in morning ( I add in some light fruit like mago or pineapple or strawberry. I'm not a hardcore Atkins person anymore).

My main courses vary all the time depending on my mood, meatballs in tomato sauce, homemade burgers, caesar salads, grilled chicken salads, curries (tonnes of different types), roast meats,

The only condition I impose, is that I cook all my own food, so I can watch the sugar levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

did you lose weight going low carb?

Yup. I lost 13 kg, and i've had absolutely no problem in keeping it off.

I'm 5"1 and was pushing 75kg, size14-16, so I was getting far too heavy for my size. I'm now 62 kg and size 10-12. I already exercised lots, and I wasn't losing weight, so my diet had to adjusted.

People have a bad opinion of low-carb eating, I interpret it to mean cutting out processed foods, because these generally contain sugars and so on. I pretty much cook everything I eat from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm doing ediets cos it was really cheap thru VHI online...I've lost 8lbs in 7 weeks but I've been a lazyass any haven't don't that much excercise... I have a thyroid prob but this diet is shifiting the weight!! I've gone from 9 stone to 8st 4lbs - only 4lbs to go!! I did WW before and I find ediets better because all the meals are there - you just pick which ones you want and foods aren't really outlawed and it's no so restrictive - like my fav PEANUT BUTTER!!! numm :D I even allow myself one treat a week - take out/frozen pizza etc

Break:fruit smoothie or bagel+low sugar peanut butter+low sugar jam
    Lunch : bagel or wrap with 1 tbs of extra light mayo(helmans)+1 slice low fat cheese, 1 low fat yoghurt, a piece of fruit
    Dindins - stirfry/grilled meat + noodles/potatoes/naan/pita
    Treats - 1 latte and 1 mini can of coke per day

i can post some of my fav recipes if you want?

that would be great thanks! quick and easy being the order of the day. im trying to improve my eating habits cos they rteally are awful....and i need to lose a bit of weight...well...about 2st to be exact. i had fruit salad for brekfast and a small caesar for lunch (and a milky way, but nobodys perfect!).
    i dring about 5 mugs of really strong coffee everyday and this is one thing i will not stop doing but i am drinking lemon and hot water at usual snack times (11am and 3pm) . im going to the gym tonight so ill just have a slimfast shake otherwise i wont get a good run. at it. what do ye think of todays food intake...any better?

• Advertisement

You don't need to cut out the coffee, but I would reduce your intake none the less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Best way to lose weight IMO is weight watchers or unislim. I lost a stone in weight watchers (from size 14 to size 12!) It is easy to stick to and you can still eat what you want. i would really recommend it!! I still go to ww cos I let myself go and put the stone back on - only because i wasn't watching what i was eating! But I've about half a stone off now again ;) easy! Well not easy - but all you need is willpower and the occassional treat

ive yried a couple of weighwatcher meetings but the q's to get weighed and the length of time waiting around for the speaker are not worth it. the classes are so over crammed that its uncomfortable as well as expensive. the class leaders are just too greedy to split the classes and im not hanging around for 1.5 hours for a 20 min class. this was in clontarf and in abbey street. cant be bothered with that. :mad:

Can you not go to a different meeting at a different time then? I go on a wed evening the class starts at 5.45 but i go over just before that!!

any one i go to is packed to the roof. and i would i have to pay a joining fee each new meeting i attend in a different place? i dont like some parts of town where im going to be stuck with a pack of skangers chatting all the way through the class and taking off their smelly runners to get weighed. no...im not keen on w.w's. ive never tried unislim. going to check out the site now tho'.

• Advertisement

purdee wrote:
    any one i go to is packed to the roof. and i would i have to pay a joining fee each new meeting i attend in a different place? i dont like some parts of town where im going to be stuck with a pack of skangers chatting all the way through the class and taking off their smelly runners to get weighed. no...im not keen on w.w's. ive never tried unislim. going to check out the site now tho'.
    No you wouldn't have to pay a new membership fee.

You aren't allowed take off runners so there should be none of that!

Unislim is much the same principle - weigh and talk as far as i know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

I'm doing the WW diet & am finding it ok going!! The hardest part is making myself make dinners et al instead of ordering takeaway!! The weight watcher books have some great recipes in them, especially the point free soup .... nyom!!

My normal daily diet consists of:

Breakfast
    Danecol Yoghurt drink
    Small glass of orange juice
    Tea [made with skimmed milk]
    Porridge or Cornflakes

Lunch
    Tuna or ham
    2 small pitta breads
    1 tbsp of helmans extra light mayo
    2 petit filous

Late Afternoon Snack
    Tea [made with skimmed milk]
    2 rich tea biscuits or 1 digestive biscuit

Dinner
    Pasta/Noodles/Brown Rice/Potatoes/Pitta Bread
    Breast of Chicken/Breast of Turkey/Round Minced Steak/Round Steak/Lamb Chop
    Plenty of veg

Desert
    Merangue [sp?] nest
    Chopped fruit
    Low fat custard tub

Supper
    Pint of skimmed milk & 2 rich tea
    Tea [made with skimmed milk] & corn flakes [with skimmed milk]

that sounds like alot of food!! ive lost 7lbs since i posted first (14.03.05). im being careful with the carbs and trying to get to the gym more often. i asked for a diet forum in feedback but fitness forum covers it apparently. ive only another stone and half to go!
    although having seen supersize kids i feel really skinny!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dena

I have also tried the WW programme and found it to be a excellent way to lose weight. Try their website, there are lots of recipes there and some great ideas. There is a fella on the website who lost 21st with their programme. :eek:

Just like any diet you try - at the end of the day you have exercise a least a little.

obviously the no-count option you're doing LoneGunM@n! Some good suggestions there! cheers!

Well done Purdee! I am so bad - I've no willpower at all! :(

purdee wrote:
    that sounds like alot of food!! ive lost 7lbs since i posted first (14.03.05). im being careful with the carbs and trying to get to the gym more often. i asked for a diet forum in feedback but fitness forum covers it apparently. ive only another stone and half to go!
    although having seen supersize kids i feel really skinny!!

I think the points on that come in at around 27ish points ... the pain in the arse bit was trying to bulk it out so that I was not eating too few points!

Purdee, I am indeed doing the pure points!! I'm just about keeping to the extra food points per week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanna

Has anyone tried www.cafeslim.com? It's a diet website that has nutritionists work out a programme for you after you input all the foods that you like. I know a few people who have tried it and found it to be pretty good.

i think im far too greedy to do the no points one!! i would turn into a big pasta shell by the end of the week!! :D:D:D
    how much has everyone lost on their respective diets?

I'm just about at 1/2 stone ... The hardest part is staying within the extra points the give on the pure points plan ... Chinese food is a killer :(

weve a good chinese in killester - its gone down a bit but it used to do the nicest spring rolls i ever tasted. they were stuffed with duck, bok choy and beansprouts and chilli to name but a few bits. now theyre just boring. i love stir frys and noodles......less of the noodles now tho!
    i weighed myself this morning and ive lost more than i thought. i was 12st 4ib...now im 11st7lb!! happyhappyhappyhappydays!

• Advertisement

Happy days is right!! Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I think the best way to lose weight is just don't buy what you don't want to eat junk wise. I'm only 20 and still live at home. I would love to be out on my own for the reason that I would buy only what I want in the house. Unfortunately there are some bad things bought in our weekly shop that I would prefer if they stayed out of the house.

This is because we eat allot more than we need to when we are bored and have nothing better to do. If the food isn't in the house it wont be eaten. Also, you are occupied when you are in the supermarket so even though you may see something you like, you're not actually bored enough to want to eat it so it's so much easier just to walk by it and turn your head.

I used to be about 16 stone when I was about 13. I have an under-active thyroid which helped pile on the weight but losing it wasn't just a case of taking tablets, I had to diet. I went a whole year or more without having one bit of chocolate :D I'm going through a bad patch now though, put on a bit of weight in the past few months, damn car. So I'll sort it out soon anyway. I wish I lived on my own though, it would be so much easier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Knifey_Spoony

Im the exact same as you Cormie, still living at home which is making it hard as loads of junk gets bought in the weekly shop. Im doing ok-ish so far, lost about 19 lbs with weightwatchers. Have just over half a stone left to go. Finding it tough to keep it up though. Its really hard when im drinking or hungover. I have no will power at all when im hungover.
    By the way Linda McCartney Shephards Pie is 4and a half points and is so so yummy for those days when your too lazy to cook from scratch. Anyone got any other tips? :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I found that the Obvious Diet by Ed Victor worked really well for me till I fell off the wagon...Now I'm going to try get back on it again.

He recommends looking at loads of diet plans and choosing the bits you like the best from each. You also have one detox day a week where you eat nothing but raw fruit and veg and a soup (like the one in the cabbage soup diet) and one day a week you can have a treat meal with whatever you like in it! Other than that a bit of excercise and you're away. It was really easy to follow and choose things better for me to eat.

He also had some nice recipies for dishes like roast asparagus, a yummy chicken soup and others.

easter has ruined me!! :eek: i porked completly. :( is it possible to put on 5lbs in 4 days? i may be a scientific phenomenom!

purdee wrote:
    easter has ruined me!! :eek: i porked completly. :( is it possible to put on 5lbs in 4 days? i may be a scientific phenomenom!
    No I think it is possible - believe me - my weight is up and down like a yo-yo it's so annoying. i could be 2/3 pounds heavier/lighter in space of 1/2 days. so sh1te! I am starting to lose the will power to watch what i'm eating - it's just so hard sometimes. Especially as it's so easy to get a takeaway (too bloody easy :( )

easy...but really expensive. nothing healthy on the menu either. thats why i was asking everyone for their fast recipies at the start of the thread ...when im hungry, im very impatient.
    im going to give up alcohol for a month- starting after tomorrow night. i have a wine and cheese evening tmorrow and im really looking foward to it!! then i will moan about the cheese pounds!

Oh yum - i love wine and cheese. Don't forget the grapes! I sound like a posh git - but i'm not!

Nearly gave in to getting a takeaway - but resisted - I think I'm obsessed with them.

Idea for something quick to make - and very tasty
    chicken breast (or whatever), low fat cooking spray, any veg (peppers, onions, carrotts etc), some herbs and spices ( I use mixed herbs, oregano and some chilli) and then maybe some soya sauce. served with rice
    Quick and tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

when you cut out carbs.. or cut down on them.. what do you substitute for them.. how do you fill up?!! I'm finding it impossible not to eat bread for lunch and some form of pasta/rice/ potatoes for dinner as I'm starving if I don't!! I don't eat a lot of chocolate or anything.. I a real foodie.

btw how are ye all getting on now?!

• Advertisement

I don't agree with cutting out carbohydrates at all! They are the main thing that should be included in each meal. If anything cut back on bread - try to eat more potatoes, rice and pasta to substitute bread. I cut down on bread using ryvita and other cracker type alternatives instead of bread and ate 3 meals a day with no cráp food and I lost 3 and a half pounds in a week.

These last few weeks I've been trying hard to lose weight - i'm doing ww but not trying too hard. I just tried to eat less chocolate and more healthy food - started doing situps and when I weighed in I lost 3 pounds. I have 5 and a half pounds off now - I am aiming to lose another 11 pounds and i'll be happy then :) I've done it before and i'll do it again

ok sorry i'll stop rambling now!!

Advertisement