Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2014 Cooking Club Week 33: Morroccan Lamb, Pomegranate Cous Cous & Cumin Flatbread

• 21-08-2014 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Ingredients:-

Moroccan Lamb:
    800g diced lamb (I used diced lamb shoulder)
    2 red onions, diced into eighths
    3 garlic cloves, finely diced
    Pinch of saffron strands
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp fennel
    1/2 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp paprika
    2 bay leaves
    Cinnamon stick
    400g sweet potato, cut into 1 inch cubes
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    500ml chicken stock (or lamb stock, if you can find it)
    2 tbsp raisins

Pomegranate Cous cous:
    250g cous cous
    250ml chicken stock
    Juice of 1 lemon
    1 red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
    1 tbsp raisins
    Seeds of 1 pomegranate
    Bunch of mint, roughly chopped
    3 tbsp olive oil

Cumin Flat breads:

250g self raising flour
    250g natural yoghurt
    1/2 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    Natural yoghurt, harissa paste for dip (optional)

Method:-

Brown lamb meat in batches, and set aside. Turn down heat & sweat the onions in the saucepan for a few minutes.
    Add the garlic and spices and stir for 2 minutes until aromatic. Then add the tomato puree, and stir for 30 seconds. Add the sweet potato, then return the lamb and any resting juices to the pot, along with the raisins and the stock.
    Bring it all to the boil then simmer really gently, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until the lamb is tender.

For the flat breads, start by putting a dry griddle pan/frying pan onto a high heat.
    Add all the ingredients to a food processor or food mixer and pulse until it starts to form a dough. Knead on a floured surface for a minute or so until it all comes together:

c7435d56-654d-400b-8068-7e3668a249f1.jpg

Cut into 6 even pieces, then roll each piece out to approx. 1/2 cm thickness. Once the pan is nice and hot, put the flatbreads on two at a time for approx 3-4 mins, turning occasionally.

If you like, cut up your flatbreads & serve with natural yoghurt mixed with harissa paste for dipping:

eea0659f-2b64-4ba0-96f3-af39eb1dade9.jpg

For the cous cous, add it to a bowl along with the chicken stock & lemon juice, stir once then cover and leave for 10 minutes. When ready, add the other ingredients, season and serve! :)

92064d66-679a-4195-b80d-acd9dbbcee87.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That looks amazing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Catmologen

Wow, incredible will be making this for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Janey mackers that looks good.

An alternative presentation option might be to put all the meat in one bowl in the middle of the table and let everyone dip bread into it.

When i was in Morocco thats how families ate, and it was very interactive and nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Anyone else think the flatbread bowl was floating beside the table?

Looks delicious. Doing this on my next day off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

nice recipe the couscous sounds great cant wait to try it! Cumin flat breads also.

I make tagine a lot and my recipe is very similar to yours, i recommend adding 2tsp of harissa paste and a handfull of coriander leaf.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Sunday's dinner sorted... will report back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I have the lamb in the freezer! I am so making this this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Thanks for the suggestions, will definitely try them out next time I make it. Looking forward to hearing how ye get on with the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭doctorwhogirl

Looks fabulous! I've been mad to get into more moroccan flavours!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well, this was a roaring success. The flavours are delicious, and everything works so well together. If I was to do anything differently, I'd wait an hour before adding the sweet potatoes.

Thanks, GT - I'll be making this again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Casher

I just made your flat breads to go with Huevos Rancheros and they are delicious & so easy to make. Thery're one to make again with anything that needs mopping up!! Must try the rest of the recipe next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Should you make the dough for the flatbreads immediately before you cook them or how far ahead could you make the dough, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

Made this tonite really enjoyed- 1st time making flat breads and really complement the dish. Will definitely be added to my dinner list

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I was going to say I made this yesterday, but in fact I accidentally made a variation of it. :o I got up to the bit with the spices, then added some honey - checked to see how much and... none in the recipe! I also noticed that there were no tinned tomatoes, but at this stage I'd opened a tin, so I added them anyway. It was delicious, but a bit of a bastardised version, I admit!

The flatbreads were lovely though. My pan was smoking a lot so I think they would have risen a bit more if I'd left them another bit, but I had to take them off before I set off the smoke alarm. :pac: Would make again!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭GrahamThomas

Malari wrote: »
    Should you make the dough for the flatbreads immediately before you cook them or how far ahead could you make the dough, do you think?

Hi Malari, usually I make up the dough while the pan is heating up, but it would be fine if you made it in advance too.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 aoifo

I luv this dish just finished eating now it's so tasty

Advertisement