Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FAIL REPEAT EXAM

• 25-06-2014 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, Just wondering what happens if you fail a repeat exam thats not a compulsory module?

With my course, you had to take an arts subject and I'm 100% i failed the exam in may, but theres no hope in me passing it in august either.

Does that mean ill have to repeat the entire year or can i somehow just repeat the subject in second year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Ashley1111 wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering what happens if you fail a repeat exam thats not a compulsory module?

With my course, you had to take an arts subject and I'm 100% i failed the exam in may, but theres no hope in me passing it in august either.

Does that mean ill have to repeat the entire year or can i somehow just repeat the subject in second year?

Right, here's how the marks and standard's work in your case:
    -You need to get at least 50% of the credits available to you, there will be 60 credits, 20 per subject, so you need to get 30 of those (generally it's 5 per module). You also need at least 50% of credits per subject.
    -You need an average of 40% in each subject, so in your arts subject, if you did well in the first semester exams, then you might be OK.
    - You can't get less than 25% in any module.

If you don't meet all of those requirements, then you must repeat ALL modules where you got under 40%. Otherwise you might get a pass by compensation and skip repeats altogether.

Now, if the only exam you fail outright is this one, then all you will need to do in August is get 25.1% or more in it, and you'll get through. If you don't manage this, I think in the case of Arts, you MAY be able to continue in just the 2 subjects you did well in, but i'ts up to each department to decide on that.

See the marks and standards fully here: https://www.nuim.ie/sites/default/files/assets/document/Marks%20and%20Standards_UG_Sept12-2.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ashley1111

brainiac wrote: »
    Right, here's how the marks and standard's work in your case:
    -You need to get at least 50% of the credits available to you, there will be 60 credits, 20 per subject, so you need to get 30 of those (generally it's 5 per module). You also need at least 50% of credits per subject.
    -You need an average of 40% in each subject, so in your arts subject, if you did well in the first semester exams, then you might be OK.
    - You can't get less than 25% in any module.

If you don't meet all of those requirements, then you must repeat ALL modules where you got under 40%. Otherwise you might get a pass by compensation and skip repeats altogether.

Now, if the only exam you fail outright is this one, then all you will need to do in August is get 25.1% or more in it, and you'll get through. If you don't manage this, I think in the case of Arts, you MAY be able to continue in just the 2 subjects you did well in, but i'ts up to each department to decide on that.

The way my course works is, its 40 credits and then 20 for the arts subject. Theres 4 modules in the arts subject and I've passed 2 of those. So does that mean ill still have to repeat the failed modules?

The way my course works is, its 40 credits and then 20 for the arts subject. Theres 4 modules in the arts subject and I've passed 2 of those. So does that mean ill still have to repeat the failed modules?

You've gotten enough credits to compensate. You just need your average grade in those 4 modules to be 40% and not to fall below 25% in either of them. Otherwise you will have to repeat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ashley1111

brainiac wrote: »
    You've gotten enough credits to compensate. You just need your average grade in those 4 modules to be 40% and not to fall below 25% in either of them. Otherwise you will have to repeat them.

Thanks a million! I know i've fallen below 25% in one of them, so repeats it is!

Thanks a million! I know i've fallen below 25% in one of them, so repeats it is!

You just need to scrape 25 now in August to pass it. As I said though, there might be workarounds so go have a chat with your department on consultation day next Tuesday if you do fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 neethumane

Hi I have a doubt, see i am doing food science and nutrition in lyit in letterkenny. I am going into my second year. But for the first and second semester I failed maths. So I had to repeat it in august. If I fail this what will happen will I be able to repeat again, or will I be able to go into my second year and just repeat the maths modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Alex murphy

if you fail 2 of 4 exams, but got over 25% in each, can I still pass by compensation in 2nd semester exams. I'm in first year science btw

Advertisement