Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pacquiao v Mayweather

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Pac's camp have responded to Mayweather.
    MANILA, Philippines -- Manny Pacquiao's camp says there is no economic sense in setting up a bout with Floyd Mayweather on May 5 after the unbeaten American publicly challenged the Filipino champion via Twitter.

Pacquiao's financial adviser Michael Koncz told The Associated Press on Thursday that a 45,000-seat boxing arena being built in Las Vegas won't be finished before the end of May and staging the Pacquiao-Mayweather fight in a smaller venue is "foolish from an economic standpoint."

Mayweather challenged and taunted Pacquiao to a May 5 bout in a tweet on Tuesday.

"Manny Pacquiao I'm calling you out let's fight May 5th and give the world what they want to see," he tweeted.

Mayweather is available for a fight in May at the MGM Grand Garden after a judge agreed last week to postpone his jail sentence for domestic violence until June. Mayweather was sentenced to 87 days in jail, but likely will serve less time.

The MGM Grand seats about 17,000, which could fetch around $20 million in sales, but the larger arena could raise an additional $30 million, Koncz said.

"Why would I tell Manny to fight on the 5th and throw away a percentage of 30 million? That's crazy," he said.

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum has told the Philippines' GMA television the only reason the fight won't happen is if there is an "economic problem."

He said the fight "could happen very, very easily" at the end of May – enough time to build the outdoor arena "the fight so badly needs.""I will also guarantee Manny's purse," he said. "In other words, Manny doesn't want to go into the ring and just fight out a percentage."

He said Mayweather is looking for "outside parties to guarantee his end of the purse."

"So, until he finds the angel, there is no fight," Arum said.

In a separate interview with GMA, Pacquiao said that if Mayweather agrees to a "50-50 sharing, there will be no problem."

"The purse is not the issue right now, the date is," Koncz said. "But we don't have a problem splitting it 50-50."

Pure bull****e imo. Doubt it's gonna happen now.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

colly10 wrote: »
    In another year even fewer people will care and if their both shot I will be boycotting it, so it will loose even more money due to stalling.
    I couldn't give a **** about either of them, the sooner they retire the better in my mind.
    They're a circus act now, nobody cares anymore and i'm sick to death of reading about them

I'm with you, and, right now both are past their best days. I said that before. Not shot, but definitely not as good as they were. Minimum 12-18 months past when it should have happened.

I also envisage quite a dull and boring fight, and knowing how much money is at stake, and the crap and shenadigans going on, and it being pro boxing, not at all would it surprise me if they staged the fight, set it up, and arranged for a wee trilogy, or at least a rematch.

Horribly obscene greedy people. The lot of them.

As for the fight. I see it as close. Floyd will not easily win this. Manny has far too much physical gifts and will if he has to he will leave everything in that ring. Could be a tame affair, (what I predict), could be exciting, but Floyd will big time be made earn this win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

There's no flies on Mayweather.

He realises that Manny is on the wane.

If he goes away for three months, it will be at least another five months after his release then before a pacquiao fight could happen.

If floyd goes away, manny fights once or twice in the interim and performs badly, nobody will give two ****es about the fight by the end of the year.

Now is the best time to make this fight (for both boxers and fans alike)
    It should have been made two years ago, but now is the last possible time period when the bout is relevant to either mans career and to their respective legacies.

Mayweather has had to use the media to try and force Arum into a corner, unfortunately it seems he really does not want the golden goose to get his feathers plucked and his egg laying ability cleaved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

I disagree with some posters here. Okay floyd will go to jail but if he's back his back still on top. You see when floyd was at his prime he goes out attacking fighters but as he grew older he began to loose his vigor and youthfulness he adapted to this by defending more and more during fights. My point his floyd will still fight for 3 - 4 years. If mosley who has taken one hell of a beaten can do so what about floyd who has never ever taken a beaten.

No matter what fighter he'll adapt to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

My point his floyd will still fight for 3 - 4 years. If mosley who has taken one hell of a beaten can do so what about floyd who has never ever taken a beaten.

No matter what fighter he'll adapt to it.

I believe he could if he chose too but Floyd does not want to be 1 of the top fighters, he wants to be THE top fighter so he won't be Boxing for long more

I'd actually say if Arum decided to give the fans what they want then May could be both mens last fights, Arum knows that and wants to scrape 3-4 more paydays out of Manny.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

cowzerp wrote: »
    I believe he could if he chose too but Floyd does not want to be 1 of the top fighters, he wants to be THE top fighter so he won't be Boxing for long more

I'd actually say if Arum decided to give the fans what they want then May could be both mens last fights, Arum knows that and wants to scrape 3-4 more paydays out of Manny.

Thats what its all about. They'll delay as long as possible and when it does eventually happen both men will be well past their sell by date.

As an aside its a real shame **** like this happens but i suppose if the masses are oblivious and pay regardless its going to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Apparently many has agreed to fight in may.

link please as i can't see that anywhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

link please as i can't see that anywhere..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/16515328.stm
    Seems he has agreed to fight in May but he wants late May rather than early May.

Unreal, This fight was stalled for two years because of "tests" that Floyd invented. Now, fiolks are dissing Manny because the second Floy calls him out, two years late, Manny doesn't jump thru the hoop.:rolleyes:

Why is Floyd NOW so eager to fight? Did Manny look to much of a threat in 2009 and most of 2010?

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    Unreal, This fight was stalled for two years because of "tests" that Floyd invented. Now, fiolks are dissing Manny because the second Floy calls him out, two years late, Manny doesn't jump thru the hoop.:rolleyes:

Why is Floyd NOW so eager to fight? Did Manny look to much of a threat in 2009 and most of 2010?

Bren thats BS and you know it-The tests where an excuse for Manny/Arum not to take the fight-at 1 stage they agreed yet still backed down

Manny was claiming to be scared of needles an all, I've said it many time and don't get why you or others keep harping back to things that where smoke screens

The fight was delayed by both parties for financial reasons, both wanted to make money for 3-5 more fights while there stock was good and both are on similar timeline to retire, This is the 1st definitive offer from either camp with date set in, venue everything and plenty of time to get it on.

Fact remains Arum will want 1-2 more cash cow fights before Manny retires, even if he decided to carry on his stock will be badly damaged after Floyd beats him, Freddie Roach knows Manny and Boxing and he knows this fight is a night mare for Manny and they will only take this if it's to be his last, if they won im sure they'll keep the cash cow going.

Pighead wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/16515328.stm
    Seems he has agreed to fight in May but he wants late May rather than early May.

Nothing agreed there, just more smokescreens and reasons to put the fight off, 30 million dollars is nothing in this level of fight, especially when split up to all parties, It sounds like lots but you can be sure Manny fights another handbag in May in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Nothing agreed there, just more smokescreens and reasons to put the fight off, 30 million dollars is nothing in this level of fight, especially when split up to all parties, It sounds like lots but you can be sure Manny fights another handbag in May in it.

Will Mayweather not take the end of May, I don't see the problem from his side with that date. The only problem i see on his side is wanting a guaranteed purse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Bren thats BS and you know it-The tests where an excuse for Manny/Arum not to take the fight-at 1 stage they agreed yet still backed down

Manny was claiming to be scared of needles an all, I've said it many time and don't get why you or others keep harping back to things that where smoke screens

The fight was delayed by both parties for financial reasons, both wanted to make money for 3-5 more fights while there stock was good and both are on similar timeline to retire, This is the 1st definitive offer from either camp with date set in, venue everything and plenty of time to get it on.

Fact remains Arum will want 1-2 more cash cow fights before Manny retires, even if he decided to carry on his stock will be badly damaged after Floyd beats him, Freddie Roach knows Manny and Boxing and he knows this fight is a night mare for Manny and they will only take this if it's to be his last, if they won im sure they'll keep the cash cow going.

It's hard to take your opinion seriously when you're still passing off stuff like this as fact. He's never said that, the least you could do is back it up with a quote. You won't be able to, though, as it was never said. What he did say was that he felt having blood taken before a fight weakened him, which is a completely different matter as he at least had something to base it on. This interview took place long before any negotiations with Floyd happened.

It's very difficult to take your opinion on this matter seriously when you go way beyond just thinking Floyd would beat him. It's personal for you which is strange, and it leads to a lot of clear bias. The idea that the testing shenanigans was somehow a way of Manny to avoid the fight, and not Floyd, is indicative of where your allegiances lie.

As for the fight, there's no reason for Floyd not to take the fight at the end of May. For the sake of a couple weeks, it makes much more sense.

colly10 wrote: »
    Will Mayweather not take the end of May, I don't see the problem from his side with that date. The only problem i see on his side is wanting a guaranteed purse

The venue is already booked in, He will fight that date wheter it's ,Manny or not

I'd put money on that its Cotto to be honest.
    moneyman wrote: »
    It's hard to take your opinion seriously when you're still passing off stuff like this as fact. He's never said that, the least you could do is back it up with a quote. You won't be able to, though, as it was never said. What he did say was that he felt having blood taken before a fight weakened him, which is a completely different matter as he at least had something to base it on. This interview took place long before any negotiations with Floyd happened.

It's very difficult to take your opinion on this matter seriously when you go way beyond just thinking Floyd would beat him. It's personal for you which is strange, and it leads to a lot of clear bias. The idea that the testing shenanigans was somehow a way of Manny to avoid the fight, and not Floyd, is indicative of where your allegiances lie.

As for the fight, there's no reason for Floyd not to take the fight at the end of May. For the sake of a couple weeks, it makes much more sense.

I'm aware He said it would weaken him but i thought that the original issue was Him been scared, it's a moot point anyway as 2 weeks out from a fight won't weaken you and the blood's could even be done after the fight, it's a very simple procedure and in truth was never a good reason to not fight unless there was somethiong to hide.

All Boxing fan's should take this personally as it's not about Boxing, it is about exploiting us for as long as they can

Your very anti Floyd anyway so the personal thing works for all comers, i've said it before and will again i'm a Boxing fan-that means i can support both boxers but i feel Arum is the main problem, so Pacman and Roach are the problem with Boxing at this minute, Roach is notorius for picking matches anyway.

Floyd now eager to fight, yet using drugs as ONE obstacle for the past two years is bizarre.

I asked a question earlier and did not get an answer. Is Floyd and his team still going to demand the testing procedure? Anyone know this?
    And, Paul my friend, you claim many times that Manny is a bigg favorite of yours and that he is very very good, but you always picked against him over the past while. I think you did select him vs. JMM, but you backed Marg, Clottey and Cotto? Just wondering why?

Floyd now eagre to fight, yet using drugs as ONE obstacle for the past two years is bizarre.

I asked a question earlier and did not get an answer. Is Floyd and his team still going to demand the testing procedure? Anyone know this?

I don't know but i'd assume so, and i've no doubt Manny will take them if he wants the fight.

If he doesn't then he will use it as a sticking point.

Or the fact there is a new stadia been built, there will be a multitude of excuses if Arum has his way.

And, Paul my friend, you claim mant times that Manny is a bigg favorite of yours and that he is very very good, but you always picked against him over the past while I think you did select him vs. JMM, buty backed Marg, Clottey and Cotto? Just wondering why?

I loved Manny when Barrera and Morales and Diaz where his opposition and enjoyed his fights including the ones i picked against

Margarito against Cintron and Cotto looked like he could beat Manny

If i picked Clottey it was all about size, i don't know if i did but he was weight drained anyway and had no real intention to win, Manny barely landed a head shot in the fight with Clottey's high guard and rare attempt to hit back.

Cotto was also drained by a couple of lbs and his style is taylor made for Manny, It;s worth noting i'm not knocking Manny's abilities at all

2 Years ago he was 1 of my favourite fighters ever, right now i'm a bit put off him and his team.

I loved Manny when Barrera and Morales and Diaz where his opposition and enjoyed his fights including the ones i picked against

Margarito against Cintron and Cotto looked like he could beat Manny

If i picked Clottey it was all about size, i don't know if i did but he was weight drained anyway and had no real intention to win, Manny barely landed a head shot in the fight with Clottey's high guard and rare attempt to hit back.

Cotto was also drained by a couple of lbs and his style is taylor made for Manny, It;s worth noting i'm not knocking Manny's abilities at all

2 Years ago he was 1 of my favourite fighters ever, right now i'm a bit put off him and his team.

Thanks

You know, what really made me pick Manny over Marg was how easy Mosley battered him. Marg is IMO tailor made for speedster who can box, move, take a punch and are fit. He is a freaking punch bag.

I think Oscar, Pryor, Mosley, Floyd all have their way with him. And, Manny, a ball of energy, fit as a fiddle, very decent pop, very good chin, tough as nails, and lovely feet. That is a disaster for Margarito.

Clottey was never much use. Maybe had he actually tried he could have done a bit better. Tailor made again.

Edit: I think I too picked Cotto to win, but after what I saw, I then never backed against Manny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭horsemeat

Pretty sure Mayweather is unable to fight late may due to his court case.

May 5th was the only reason he had his sentence postponed in the first place, if they changed the date he'd likely have to back through the court system again; Bob Arum, a former lawyer knows all this hence all the posturing re: late may.

Arum wants nothing to do with Manny fighting Floyd.

Shameful stuff. It would undoubtedly be the biggest fight in history, but if it doesn't happen May 5th, I genuinely believe the fight starts to become totally irrelevant (if it were eventually to happen in early 2013 or later)

I believe it would be a retirement fight for both men.
    The final jewel in Floyd's crown.

Boxing has become totally irrelevant with the upsurge in interest in MMA. If this fight doesn't happen, I genuinely believe it will spark the death knell (if it hasn't already tolled) for PPV Prize Fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

The venue is already booked in, He will fight that date wheter it's ,Manny or not

I'd put money on that its Cotto to be honest.

It's bizarre if he insists on fighting on that date when Manny will fight him at the end of May. So what he has it booked, pretty easy to select another date. It's not at all an obstacle, and certainly not something that should prevent the fight from happening.

I'm aware He said it would weaken him but i thought that the original issue was Him been scared, it's a moot point anyway as 2 weeks out from a fight won't weaken you and the blood's could even be done after the fight, it's a very simple procedure and in truth was never a good reason to not fight unless there was somethiong to hide.

He originally said he didn't want to do it as he did it against Morales and he felt it weakened him for the fight. This was stated long before Mayweather was ever a possible opponent so it can't be said that he made it up to avoid the fight. The interview is on youtube from years ago. Secondly, Manny agreed with you about the 2 weeks, that's why he wanted the cut-off point of 14 days IIRC, but Floyd objected. He also said multiple times that in conjunction with taking the test 14 days before hand, he'd do one straight after the bout. I'm surprised you didn't know this as you seem to have followed the saga closely. BTW, I'm not saying Manny was correct in thinking he'd be weakened, just stating his reason, which wasn't that he was scared of needles.
    All Boxing fan's should take this personally as it's not about Boxing, it is about exploiting us for as long as they can

I definitely agree with you here, the whole thing is a farce. We're all losing interest.
    Your very anti Floyd anyway so the personal thing works for all comers, i've said it before and will again i'm a Boxing fan-that means i can support both boxers but i feel Arum is the main problem, so Pacman and Roach are the problem with Boxing at this minute, Roach is notorius for picking matches anyway.

Not necessarily. I'm anti-Floyd on a personal level, because he's a complete scum-bag. He's also not very intelligent despite what he believes. That said, I've never been biased when it comes to his boxing, and I do give him the edge if he ever faces Manny. He's the best there is. That doesn't mean I don't give Manny a chance, though. I just don't think the accusations you make are valid when you consider the opponents Floyd has fought and the things he does. It's just hypocritical. I understand you thinking Floyd would win, but the other stuff is what I just can't comprehend.

It's bizarre if he insists on fighting on that date when Manny will fight him at the end of May. So what he has it booked, pretty easy to select another date. It's not at all an obstacle, and certainly not something that should prevent the fight from happening..

Look it quite clear that late May is no use and not a possibility due to court issues etc

The reason for not doing May the 5th is lame and not credible at all
    Not necessarily. I'm anti-Floyd on a personal level, because he's a complete scum-bag. He's also not very intelligent despite what he believes. That said, I've never been biased when it comes to his boxing, and I do give him the edge if he ever faces Manny. He's the best there is. That doesn't mean I don't give Manny a chance, though. I just don't think the accusations you make are valid when you consider the opponents Floyd has fought and the things he does. It's just hypocritical. I understand you thinking Floyd would win, but the other stuff is what I just can't comprehend.

I'm not 100% what your saying here but Floyd has fought 3 of Manny's opponents of late and fought them 1st, this is important as this showed Manny/Roach what level these lads where at before they took them on.

I think both wanted to hold off on the fight and have stressed that many times before, but now Manny's people are worming there way out when there is a genuine chance of it happening, I don't know who to blame, Arum for all or do Arum, Roach and Manny share the blame, in the past you could blame all team mayweather and Pacmans team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Look it quite clear that late May is no use and not a possibility due to court issues etc

The reason for not doing May the 5th is lame and not credible at all

I'm not 100% what your saying here but Floyd has fought 3 of Manny's opponents of late and fought them 1st, this is important as this showed Manny/Roach what level these lads where at before they took them on.

I think both wanted to hold off on the fight and have stressed that many times before, but now Manny's people are worming there way out when there is a genuine chance of it happening, I don't know who to blame, Arum for all or do Arum, Roach and Manny share the blame, in the past you could blame all team mayweather and Pacmans team.

It is nonsense really, you are right and i agree with what you said. Manny and his camp are trying to worm their way out of this.

Their is genuine chance this time as you said and Manny and his cronies are clearly wriggling and worming their way round the fight.

This fight is so cut and dry for me id be willing to put my access on Boards on stake, i am that sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

i think we all got caught up in the hype of pacqiao

pacquiao is an excellent fighter but he's not the unbeatable fighter he is being made out to be

a year or two i wasnt sure who'd win but now i'm so sure floyd would win and it won't be an all action fight.....it might be boring until the late rounds and floyd might step it up if he senses the ko otherwise it will be boring for the full fight and floyd will win on points fairly handily

when they both retire history will rate floyd a lot higher than pacman and rightly so IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

i think we all got caught up in the hype of pacqiao

pacquiao is an excellent fighter but he's not the unbeatable fighter he is being made out to be

a year or two i wasnt sure who'd win but now i'm so sure floyd would win and it won't be an all action fight.....it might be boring until the late rounds and floyd might step it up if he senses the ko otherwise it will be boring for the full fight and floyd will win on points fairly handily

when they both retire history will rate floyd a lot higher than pacman and rightly so IMO

How did Pacquiao get worse in the past 2 years? He went gentle on the 40 year old Mosley, he only started to take the action to him in the 10th round after Mosley threw Pacman to the floor in the 9th and got a 10-8 round. Pacquiao struggled with Marquez, but he always has in his whole career. He thoroughly dominated Margarito in an entertaining fight. Easily beat Clottey who just wanted to survive.

IMO Pacquiao hasn't showed any signs of slowing up. Matter of fact he is 2 years younger than Floyd, so Floyd would show signs of fading first.

I don't agree with you saying it could be boring, Floyd has been much more adventurous in his previous 2 outings than he is been in the rest of his Welterweight career. Pacquiao fighting Mosley, Clottey and Marquez might've influenced you to think this way. The fight won't be Hearns-Hagler or Hagler-Duran, but I don't think it'd be like Pacquiao-Clottey. I think Floyd will be adventurous and it could be like Leonard-Hagler.

HovaBaby wrote: »
    How did Pacquiao get worse in the past 2 years?.

he didn't get worse, he was simply been overhyped by beating far inferior opposition than what Mayweather is, lads there for pay days not trying to win like clottey

He's a great fighter but not great with technical boxers, especially not against fighters with a good right cross, which is floyds best weapon.

Swell as that fighters can get worse very quick, not all do but it does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

I still find myself regularly checking twitter etc in hope of seeing news of this fight finally getting signed, annoying as hell.

For what its worth i think a great defensive fighter will always beat a great offensive fighter. I just wish they would get the thing signed to finally find out how the fight would go, also to shut the fanboys up because frankly they're leaving a rotten taste in the sport at the minute. Passion is always welcomed but regular petty insults between fans is really tiring to read day in day out.

gilmour wrote: »
    I still find myself regularly checking twitter etc in hope of seeing news of this fight finally getting signed, annoying as hell.

For what its worth i think a great defensive fighter will always beat a great offensive fighter[/I]. I just wish they would get the thing signed to finally find out how the fight would go, also to shut the fanboys up because frankly they're leaving a rotten taste in the sport at the minute. Passion is always welcomed but regular petty insults between fans is really tiring to read day in day out.

Tell that to Wilfred Benitez, who both Ray and Hearns beat. The fanboy stuff is very irritating alright. I will still side with Floyd in this one; I am 55 percent confident.

he didn't get worse, he was simply been overhyped by beating far inferior opposition than what Mayweather is, lads there for pay days not trying to win like clottey

He's a great fighter but not great with technical boxers, especially not against fighters with a good right cross, which is floyds best weapon.

Swell as that fighters can get worse very quick, not all do but it does happen

Cotto is quite technical, balanced, methodical, accurate etc. Manny devoured him. And, yes, I, like you, was annoyed at the catchweight, but regardless, do you think Cotto pulls the win off with those 2 lbs?

Manny had issues with JMM; but I do not believe this is all that safe to use as a barometer as to why Floyd could beat him. JMM is more a busy offensive counter puncher, whereas Floyd of late, more sits back, allows the man to come to him and does not rely on his feet as much. Against Manny, who brings such speed, intensity, angles, and very good pop, then Floyd will need to be a lot buiser to stave off this.

I am hoping the fight, if it comes off, sees both men actually committing, and not posing, or creating some sort of stalemate. I have a niggly feeling that this could be a damp squib of a fight.

I feel it is going to be quite close, and as above, Floyd to win, 55 percent confident.

Can't wait to see the charity comp picks for this one.

• Advertisement

Not sure of the 2lbs but it was done for a reason in fairness.

Cotto is a come forward technical fighter, not a technician like Marquez or mayweather, plus cotto ain't what he used to be since margarito and him fought 1st.

Advertisement