Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eddie Rockets!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There was a boardsie training top awhile ago.

and there's a boards cycle jersey, who's going to design and source a tri suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

and there's a boards cycle jersey, who's going to design and source a tri suit?

Please please please let it be pink. More so the small bit of pink on the cycling jersey!!

Eddie/El D, those few weekend I do get out of this miserable city I'd only be a stones throw (relatively) from that area too. However, the odds on all three of us being down the one weekend are fairly slim I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭Bambaata

You from around there? I will indeed post that im up there next. Could potentially be end of Jan or last week Feb but wont know til closer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »
    You from around there? I will indeed post that im up there next. Could potentially be end of Jan or last week Feb but wont know til closer

I'm just outside Longford but it's only 15min to Carrick. As I said, relatively! Similar to that it's seldom enough I'm down there and it's usually short notice.

Tuesday 10th Jan
    Bike
    20 x (02:30 @ 250, 00:30 @ 330) tonight. Went well. I struggled at these before and maxed out at 14 at the last attempt but im thinking the power i was seeing wasnt quite right. I've started letting the power meter re-calibrate every so often to keep power honest and i'm finding it actually gets easier, as in the power i am pushing occasionally before stopping for 10 odd seconds is lower than what it is by a few Ws after the break. Did 4 stops tonight, 2 during the session and it felt very slightly easier after for the same watts. Did it once more in the final 5mins and at that point there was no change evident. Good session, felt strong to the end.
    Time: 01:20:00, Ave Power 250W, Distance 46.41km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

That's some session Ed. 20 reps :eek:

Wednesday 11th January
    Morning Swim
    Good enough swim again. Had some drills to start and then 2x (300sw steady, 200p mod) which went ok, fast 50s on 60 - 40, 41, 41, 41 some 200p steady and hard 100s. Felt it on the 100s at the end. First 50s of those were around 43 - 45 but went out a little to come in around 01:30 for the lot. Tired enough by the end but happy to feel ok after a 3+k swim
    Time:01:05:00, Distance: 3250m

Lunchtime Run
    Missed :( College project due and i had a bit to do so i didn't risk not having it done. In the end i probably could have done the run but i would have left things a little tight to the submission deadline!

Finally a good sleep last night too, i had been having too many 5.5 - 6.5 hour sleeps the past few days so a good solid 8hrs last night has me feeling brand new! On the weight front i am hovering around 79kg right now. I was in a bit of a rush this morning so i didn't get to weigh myself but i reckon it probably rose slightly as i had a homemade pizza with a cookie/ice cream after. I just couldn't resist after the stress of the college work! Back to clean living now though. I just wont be able to have the Friday night treat night now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

left thongs a little tight

Does it not chaff when you run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

:pac::pac::pac:

Nice swim set dude. How many 100s hard had you?

ha love it! Woops. Thanks for pointing that out :D

• Advertisement

:pac::pac::pac:

Nice swim set dude. How many 100s hard had you?
    twas only 2 sets of 2 with the other reps

Thursday 12th Jan
    Bike
    So just an easy spin out to get the legs in check for a nice few days ahead. Legs felt a little tired after a while holding only around 190W. At about 33mins i stopped for 10s to let the P2M zero. Low and behold i found out why my legs felt iffy at "190W", it was because i was actually pushing 230-240! The P2M has issues on the turbo as you never freehweel so with changes in temperature it goes off. The room i use is quite small so as i heat up the room is inevitably heating up too. I've found that after 35-45mins it seems to stabilise and fortunately wont be an issue on the road as there are generally plenty of 2/3s freewheel spots to keep it in tune. So in the end i finished feeling great. Probably going to be doing a T5/T20 soon so that could be interesting.
    Time: 01:15:00, Ave Power 190W, Distance 39.57km

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Yeah i read that article this morning myself. I wouldn't go so far as to only score the device a 2/5 though. Its still serious value for money and the issue is easily rectified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thursday 12th Jan
    Bike
    So just an easy spin out to get the legs in check for a nice few days ahead. Legs felt a little tired after a while holding only around 190W. At about 33mins i stopped for 10s to let the P2M zero. Low and behold i found out why my legs felt iffy at "190W", it was because i was actually pushing 230-240! The P2M has issues on the turbo as you never freehweel so with changes in temperature it goes off.

This has really put me off P2M, so much so I ordered a second PT instead. Now if they would ever ship it..

If given the choice id still go with the P2M. Its a very easy workaround and once aware of this it isnt an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

mloc123 wrote: »
    This has really put me off P2M, so much so I ordered a second PT instead. Now if they would ever ship it..

mloc, presumably you see a difference in the PT output on the turbo and road?

Stupid presumption maybe re p2m, but wasn't on the market for one so have kind of ignored it, but presumably this isn't an issue with the crank based p2m unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

mloc123 wrote: »

Its a pain but I like crank based systems. SRMs suffer from heat changes too albeit much much less.

How many times has your PT died on ya? :)
    If given the choice id still go with the P2M. Its a very easy workaround and once aware of this it isnt an issue

I'd view it as similar as to what I have to do on my Computrainer.
    If variables change I need a 5 seconds recalibration. For a P2M its ambient temperature. For a CT its tyre temperature.

Its a pain in the hole but an awareness means its not a problem
    Notwitch wrote: »
    mloc, presumably you see a difference in the PT output on the turbo and road?

Stupid presumption maybe re p2m, but wasn't on the market for one so have kind of ignored it, but presumably this isn't an issue with the crank based p2m unit?

The P2M is crank based.

PT would be the same on the road as a turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Notwitch

tunney wrote: »
    How many times has your PT died on ya? :)
    QUOTE]

I'm on my 3rd wireless sl+ unit in 18 months. Each break has taken me 2-3 weeks of f'ing around thinking it's batteries or some other minor issue and then probably another 2 weeks of shipping/waiting.
    tunney wrote: »
    PT would be the same on the road as a turbo.

So just a motivational issue to be overcome then!

Notwitch wrote: »

I'm on my 3rd wireless sl+ unit in 18 months. Each break has taken me 2-3 weeks of f'ing around thinking it's batteries or some other minor issue and then probably another 2 weeks of shipping/waiting.

I know another lad who got a PT around the same time as I got my SRMs, he's got about a month a year out of it before having to send ti back for repair.

3-4 years later they just gave up and replaced his wired unit with a wireless one FOC.

every PM has its problems. its not hard to coast for a little every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The P2M issue is easily and quickly resolved on the trubo and its not as bad if you can somewhat control the conditions with fans on the go and back door open etc (not to mention you will get mor eout of the session being cooler).
    As Ed mentioned no issues on the road with it and i think its a good piece of kit.

Have been sick Sunday/Monday so just getting to update now

Friday 13th Jan
    Lunchtime Run
    Session was a 5 x (4 mod hard, 1 easy). Felt good. First 10mins easy came in on 4:03/km pace with no forcing going on. Always happy to see the easy pace dipping, to do that over a long period now will be the aim. The 5 x 4mod hard efforts were also good enough and came in at a very similar pace/km - 03:48, 03:48, 03:47, 03:48, 03:47.
    Time: 00:45:55, Ave Pace: 04:05min/km, Distance: 11.23km

Evening Swim
    Had been out for dinner so i was not getting up early Friday to swim! Was glad of the extra 2 hours although i wasn't to bed too late (midnight or so). This one is one of my favourite sets 400sw, 4 x100B+B -> 100sw, 1 x 100B+B. Had 4 fast 50s on 60 before it which came in on 39, 38, 39, 39 and was supposed to have 4 fast 50s on 75 after but pool closed after just one which came in on 38. Happy enough with how it went.
    Time:00:55:25, Distance: 2950m

Saturday 14th Jan
    Long Bike
    On the turbo for this. Plan had an hour easy then alternating 20mins of 80% and 90% FTP power with 10mins easy between. The reps felt comfortable. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable on the saddle and after about 2 hours i hopped off to check, low and behold the nose was facing the ceiling! No wonder! Adjusted and immediately felt the relief. Felt decent to the end but was shattered afterwards. Had a nice big stew straight away but blood pressure was going mental, i was getting very light headed standing up and climbing stairs was agony on the legs. Went to bed tired.
    Time: 03:30:00, Ave Power 207W, Distance 111.85km, Ave speed 32.0 km/h

Sunday 15th Jan
    I found out fairly soon why i was so tired after the session the night before. I was sick! Gutted to miss on on a lovely long run but have to let it go. Was on the couch for the day with chills, aches and a headache by late evening.

Monday 16th Jan
    Still sick, went into work til 12 but went home. Started the day feeling ok but worsened as it went into lunch. Felt far better by 6pm though.

Tuesday 17th Jan
    Feeling fine today so hopefully back to something easy tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Have been sick Sunday/Monday so just getting to update now

Friday 13th Jan
    Lunchtime Run
    Session was a 5 x (4 mod hard, 1 easy). Felt good. First 10mins easy came in on 4:03/km pace with no forcing going on. Always happy to see the easy pace dipping, to do that over a long period now will be the aim. The 5 x 4mod hard efforts were also good enough and came in at a very similar pace/km - 03:48, 03:48, 03:47, 03:48, 03:47.
    Time: 00:45:55, Ave Pace: 04:05min/km, Distance: 11.23km

Evening Swim
    Had been out for dinner so i was not getting up early Friday to swim! Was glad of the extra 2 hours although i wasn't to bed too late (midnight or so). This one is one of my favourite sets 400sw, 4 x100B+B -> 100sw, 1 x 100B+B. Had 4 fast 50s on 60 before it which came in on 39, 38, 39, 39 and was supposed to have 4 fast 50s on 75 after but pool closed after just one which came in on 38. Happy enough with how it went.
    Time:00:55:25, Distance: 2950m

Saturday 14th Jan
    Long Bike
    On the turbo for this. Plan had an hour easy then alternating 20mins of 80% and 90% FTP power with 10mins easy between. The reps felt comfortable. I was feeling a bit uncomfortable on the saddle and after about 2 hours i hopped off to check, low and behold the nose was facing the ceiling! No wonder! Adjusted and immediately felt the relief. Felt decent to the end but was shattered afterwards. Had a nice big stew straight away but blood pressure was going mental, i was getting very light headed standing up and climbing stairs was agony on the legs. Went to bed tired.
    Time: 03:30:00, Ave Power ??W, Distance ??km - to upload details yet

Sunday 15th Jan
    I found out fairly soon why i was so tired after the session the night before. I was sick! Gutted to miss on on a lovely long run but have to let it go. Was on the couch for the day with chills, aches and a headache by late evening.

Monday 16th Jan
    Still sick, went into work til 12 but went home. Started the day feeling ok but worsened as it went into lunch. Felt far better by 6pm though.

Tuesday 17th Jan
    Feeling fine today so hopefully back to something easy tomorrow.

Hope you are feeling better E. Got to say I'd kill to be able to call 4:03 pace my easy run pace :rolleyes: The thing that stands out about this log is how strong you are across all 3 disciplines. I mean your run and swim are bloody good, and your bike is your trump card!!!

Thanks Mike. I think my bike is the one thing that i can push a lot more this year. Traditionally yeah the bike was my strong point but last year i feel it was the run that really came on. That 4:03 pace was only for 10mins now ;-) . I'm looking forward to the time when it lasts a lot longer. Its going to have to to get under the target! I hate missing sessions, particularly the long one so hopefully this break wont impact too much. This was a recovery week but i had missed a chunk of week 1 of the last 3 week base phase too and actually felt fairly fresh last week.

Hope you are feeling better E. Got to say I'd kill to be able to call 4:03 pace my easy run pace :rolleyes: The thing that stands out about this log is how strong you are across all 3 disciplines. I mean your run and swim are bloody good, and your bike is your trump card!!!

Makes me fvkcing sick too.

He is a testament to consistency and learning to HTFU. Been great reading following the blog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

+1 on the running easy pace E its a credit to you, i would love to get close to that for easy running pace but i will have to make do with 4.30-4.45 for now:o. As Mike mentioned you are no slouch in the other two areas either which shows good consistency across all 3 elements. To be that good on the bike now and know that there is plenty more to push yourself on must also be pleasing.

Re the saddle i heard that can happen a fair bit with the cervelo's with the saddle position shifting easy enough. I must remember to bring an allen key to Roth just in case otherwise it could be race over:rolleyes:

Hope you are feeling better and get back to it soon. Agree with Tunney really enjoying the updates and i think this year is your year for a WC slot if all goes to plan.

Cheers all. I dont expect the low 4's easy pace to be frequent just yet but someday! Consistency is the name of the game alright. That with repetition. I've seen plenty of coaches like Darren Smith & Joel Filliol etc mention it lately (cant find where i read that now!)

On the saddle JB, ive noticed it happen a few times so im thinking of getting some of the gripping liquids to help. I dont want to over-tighten it and end of breaking something! Here's hoping it isnt an issue on the P5 ;-)

So is the P5 back on the shopping list? :cool:

Tbh its a bit away. I have about 1/2 of what i expect the frame-set price to be. Therefore i'd have to suss if its possible to dig a small amount into the savings i have. I will look into it seriously though but it might hinge on selling the P2.

Id also have to see if it would suit me. As much as i love Cervelo, there's no point getting it if something else would better suit me. I'll have to do some research there to determine what would suit me too though! Anyone have any good reading material or know of a bike fit that can be done without a bike (i.e. to get the measurements that would be optimal for me etc)?? It would be mad to spend that money and not have looked into it 100%. I thought the P2 was the bike for life but at the time (just got into the sport) i didn't have the knowledge to realise i was being screwed.

• Advertisement

I know that when I got my bike fit done off Fernando he mentioned that if I came to him before I bought he could have told me what frames in what sizes would suit me. It might be worth mailing him to see when he is back in Dublin again.

James O'Donnell in Galway has a rig that will allow you to try varying positions and observe power output along the way. It gives you your stack and reach AFAIK. Not sure how good it is but it might be worth having a chat with him.

Advertisement