Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare GAA General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

What's amazing about it?

A lot of Kildare people were unhappy about the way our club hurling championship was made a mockery out of and plenty didn't want to see him selected ahead of young Kildare players.

If he goes back to Cavan Gaels it's probably the best scenario for all parties. He's never going to be more than a bit part player with the Kildare county team and he clearly feels no affinity to his Kildare club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Best of luck seanie!!

But it was a cluster**** from start to finish the transfer was ridiculous lies from seanie and KCB with regards his residency it was embarrassing seeing this transfer happen

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What's amazing about it?

A lot of Kildare people were unhappy about the way our club hurling championship was made a mockery out of and plenty didn't want to see him selected ahead of young Kildare players.

If he goes back to Cavan Gaels it's probably the best scenario for all parties. He's never going to be more than a bit part player with the Kildare county team and he clearly feels no affinity to his Kildare club.

Well it's quite amazing you lads are still on the defensive about it for a start.

You still try to pawn the transfer off as just something ordinary. It attracted all the media attention because it wasn't just another transfer lads.

Last year you had Kildare fans unfurling banners with "Seanie is a Lily" and reacting like those in the video mobbing him leaving the ground. This year he isn't wanted. That's some turnaround in twelve short months.

Myself and other Cavan supporters had to listen to quite an amount of crap about how could a team like Cavan drop Seanie, plus the wonderous line that he was our best player in years/decades etc., so I don't see why people find it "bitter" or otherwise that we're happy it didn't work out for either the player or the county that accepted him.

There's plenty of county officials up in Kildare that are just as much to blame in this debacle as McGeeney and Johnston. I'd be interested in hearing what a few of them have to say about it now.

Anyway, I've said my bit so will leave it there. This charade took up enough headlines last Summer and despite Seanie's attempts by releasing this to his mates in The Independent ahead of Cavan's round 4 qualifier, we've better things to read about this Summer.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Well it's quite amazing you lads are still on the defensive about it for a start.

You still try to pawn the transfer off as just something ordinary. It attracted all the media attention because it wasn't just another transfer lads.

Last year you had Kildare fans unfurling banners with "Seanie is a Lily" and reacting like those in the video mobbing him leaving the ground. This year he isn't wanted. That's some turnaround in twelve short months.

Myself and other Cavan supporters had to listen to quite an amount of crap about how could a team like Cavan drop Seanie, plus the wonderous line that he was our best player in years/decades etc., so I don't see why people find it "bitter" or otherwise that we're happy it didn't work out for either the player or the county that accepted him.

There's plenty of county officials up in Kildare that are just as much to blame in this debacle as McGeeney and Johnston. I'd be interested in hearing what a few of them have to say about it now.

Anyway, I've said my bit so will leave it there. This charade took up enough headlines last Summer and despite Seanie's attempts by releasing this to his mates in The Independent ahead of Cavan's round 4 qualifier, we've better things to read about this Summer.
    To be fair I don't really mind it leaves squad places open for kildaremen.

I agree the whole thing was disgraceful and embarrassing for those involved.

But klairon makes a good point that seanie isn't ever gonna be a starter over the forwards we have and while he can kick scores handy our lads are better!

Fair play to Cavan by the way delighted to see ye get a good run

Some wanted him and were willing to support him. Many others did not. Don't try and paint it that everyone in Kildare was willing to roll out the red carpet for him and now no one wants him. You know well that is not the case.

Personally thought it was wrong from the start and many more would have shared that opinion, including some at county board level. Seamus Aldridge was very vocal against it as was Eddie Lawlor after the Coill Dubh business. Unfortunately there were many more in the board who were too spineless to put a stop to it.

Bringing him on in Breffni Park last year for his debut was unnecessary considering Kildare were so far ahead at the time and it just underlined how badly handled the whole episode was. Nothing against the guy personally, it's only sport and there are far more important things in life but it's in the best interests of Kildare football if he does go back to Cavan Gaels. A young panel can do without the sideshow in the background all the time.

I swear that's the last time I'll post on the matter because it's time to draw a line under it and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

To be fair I don't really mind it leaves squad places open for kildaremen.

I agree the whole thing was disgraceful and embarrassing for those involved.

Well said. Sums up the whole fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Some wanted him and were willing to support him. Many others did not. Don't try and paint it that everyone in Kildare was willing to roll out the red carpet for him and now no one wants him. You know well that is not the case.

Personally thought it was wrong from the start and many more would have shared that opinion, including some at county board level. Seamus Aldridge was very vocal against it as was Eddie Lawlor after the Coill Dubh business. Unfortunately there were many more in the board who were too spineless to put a stop to it.

Bringing him on in Breffni Park last year for his debut was unnecessary considering Kildare were so far ahead at the time and it just underlined how badly handled the whole episode was. Nothing against the guy personally, it's only sport and there are far more important things in life but it's in the best interests of Kildare football if he does go back to Cavan Gaels. A young panel can do without the sideshow in the background all the time.

I swear that's the last time I'll post on the matter because it's time to draw a line under it and move on.

Well put Klairon and as a Cavan man would wholeheartedly agree with you. It's happened now and lets move on. Seanie has found out that the grass isn't always greener (especially that shortgrass:D) and will be back playing for the Gaels. I'm sure he will have lots of regrets but at the end of the day its only sport and its not as if he committed a crime or anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Some fickle bunch. Ye were mobbing him last year and now ye don't want him:

http://drumlinmedia.blogspot.ie/2012/07/seanie-johnston-leaving-kingspan.html?m=1

:D

As the chant went that day from the terrace, "Seanie is a Lily" so yas are more than welcome to him.

Thats some mob of people that came up to him after the game :D

A lot of Kildare people never wanted him and for a lot of people it turned them against McGeeney

Few good lines in this:

http://youtu.be/kYNeemPlgUg

Few good lines in this:

http://youtu.be/kYNeemPlgUg

Very funny thanks for that laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

So Adolf has moved on from being pissed off that BOD got dropped as Ireland captain and, for the last Lions game then?

Fickle bastid ! :(

So any ideas why McG had to drive to Clane, Co. Kildare to collect a "key" player (name withheld for the moment) for him to play in a recent match? The disgruntled player was in the pub with a few friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Because he was in the pub, mcgeeney is sound like that

mmmmmm
    fair enough but that's not the impression given in the pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Where you there? If you were then tell the story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Do you seriously believe that McGeeney(the same man that threw Hurley off the panel for going to Oxegen a few years back) would collect a player from the pub to go play a match? This is not Junior B football FFS.

mmmmmm
    fair enough but that's not the impression given in the pub!

Do you sit around in underpants while wearing tinfoil hats or armadillo hats thinking stuff like that up?

Please do tell us all your story? Will keep us busy talking til our underage teams are out again.

I imagine while its clane you are talking about tomás oconnor??

underpants and a sleeveless bodywarmer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

He was down drinking with his mates and the geeza went for him, is that it?

Wouldn't have thought the geeza had it in him. If someone did that I'd be sure this geezer would knock him off the panel not go and drive him to a match!

underpants and a sleeveless bodywarmer!!

Not sure if you are trolling now.. ;)

No way would geezer do that u know it and so do all of us

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭BNMC

Is there no pubs in west Wicklow where you can spout off rather than infesting this thread with your baseless idiotic stories?

Anyway, confirmed that the minors are in Tullamore next Monday at 4 against Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

Rumours are flying around that mcgeeny will be staying for another year. It looks like he has the backing from alot of clubs and the county board. But it won't be rubber stamped for another few weeks.
    I have to admit im on the fence with this one. I do believe mcgeeny has an AI in him but I think he has to look at things from beyond box a year out could do him the world of good
    and give him fresh ideas.
    Done micko no harm when he came back for this second stint with kildare.

As for the mcgeeny thing going into the pub to get a player out what a load of crap.
    Toc is much more professional than that.
    The story is on the daiy of the Dublin match training was starting at 7 o clock am and Toc found it difficult to make training at that time as he is howth that night as he does be most nights. So mcgeeny had to make a call to drop him because that's the way he works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Best of luck to you in the minor lads.

Saw a bit of them in the Leinster final and they look a serious underage side.

Although the size of your captain, I thought he looked about 28.

Rumours are flying around that mcgeeny will be staying for another year. It looks like he has the backing from alot of clubs and the county board. But it won't be rubber stamped for another few weeks.

I don't think he has a great backing among the clubs but he does have the support of the top table.

Felexicon wrote: »
    Best of luck to you in the minor lads.

Saw a bit of them in the Leinster final and they look a serious underage side.

Although the size of your captain, I thought he looked about 28.

Sure you never know with minors!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

I don't think he has a great backing among the clubs but he does have the support of the top table.

I brought this up with my club that mcgeeny and ex county board chairmen are the best of friends and there seems to be alot of ill watch your back if you'll watch mine going on within the top table but the clubs are afraid of there life to do anything about it. But a point was made out to me that since mcgeeny took over the county board has being trying to get the finances in order. Sort some thing out with the county grounds hawkfield is one of the best training grounds in the country.
    But its just gonna take time for all of this to come right and i suppose we are starting to see it with the underage set up this year and hopefully for the next few.
    I suppose mcgeeny has brought some professionalism to kildare gaa which we never had and we must let it flourish with time

I have to admit im on the fence with this one. I do believe mcgeeny has an AI in him but I think he has to look at things from beyond box a year out could do him the world of good
    and give him fresh ideas.
    Done micko no harm when he came back for this second stint with kildare.

As for the mcgeeny thing going into the pub to get a player out what a load of crap.
    Toc is much more professional than that.
    The story is on the daiy of the Dublin match training was starting at 7 o clock am and Toc found it difficult to make training at that time as he is howth that night as he does be most nights. So mcgeeny had to make a call to drop him because that's the way he works.

Was that the championship game? What the hell would they be training at 7am with a game that day for!?

Was that the championship game? What the hell would they be training at 7am with a game that day for!?

I'm unsure if it was that day but Kildare panel meet up very early could have been an early morning warmup to loosen the muscles. I doubt it would be a training session

• Advertisement

They get a bit of training in at 7, catch mass at 9, breakfast at 10 and then a few pints before the match. McGeeney leaves nothing to chance that way.

Advertisement