Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭GK1001

I used get the lightest shield I could with 100% damage reduction when I played with shields. I sued love dodging and two handed too much though. You'll find unless your a tank then the heavy shields will slow you down too much.
    I was always a grass crest man with all builds, only switching out the odd time (e.g. spider shield in blighty)...found the stamina regenration was too valuable in fights

what's the latest update p38?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Im still subscribed to this thread and always feel a pang of guilt that I havent finished the game yet. I'm at the bonfire before I you fight Gravelord Nito and the few times I've made it through, he's made mincemeat of me.

frustration has seen me spending time on other games, but I keep telling myself i'll come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭p38

Update is as follows haven't been able to play Dark souls as much as I want to lately, but intend to put a lot of time in over the Christmas.:D
    I created Quelaags fury sword and was spending anytime I could farming souls in the painted world to upgrade it and practicing my Two handed fighting (funny how things change the Phalanx used to destroy me now I farm them for fun) And just as I get cocky the normal grunts corner me and bye bye souls:(

Im still subscribed to this thread and always feel a pang of guilt that I havent finished the game yet. I'm at the bonfire before I you fight Gravelord Nito and the few times I've made it through, he's made mincemeat of me.

frustration has seen me spending time on other games, but I keep telling myself i'll come back.

At least you play other games I have lost out on so many titles because of the lure of dark souls I will probably be looking for spare parts for my 360 in 2-3 years to try and finish the game:D. :eek:Just occurred to me maybe Its just that I am S**t at playing Dark souls that's why its taking so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

p38 wrote: »
    Update is as follows haven't been able to play Dark souls as much as I want to lately, but intend to put a lot of time in over the Christmas.:D
    I created Quelaags fury sword and was spending anytime I could farming souls in the painted world to upgrade it and practicing my Two handed fighting (funny how things change the Phalanx used to destroy me now I farm them for fun) And just as I get cocky the normal grunts corner me and bye bye souls:(

God I loved that sword, has to be one of my favorites in a game ever, many will say theres this wrong with it and thats better etc. but it took me all the way to NG++ two handed and even got O+S blood on it :pac:

Just really suited how I played , found nothing like it in DS2 :(

• Advertisement

I Just beat S+O :eek: My hands are still shaken I think the left bumper button on my joy-pad may be ****ed I was squeezing the S**t out of it . I brought knight solitaire to help. I tried to take Smough out first but it didn't work out that way would have liked his armour. Woke everyone up in the house and prob neighbors with my scream of victory (waiting for the guards to knock at the door try and explain that one):o I have being building up to this for so long I don't know what to do now. I actually beat S+O:D:D:D. Oh and nice eye candy afterwards she is a big girl :cool: Where to next?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I Just beat S+O :eek: My hands are still shaken I think the left bumper button on my joy-pad may be ****ed I was squeezing the S**t out of it . I brought knight solitaire to help. I tried to take Smough out first but it didn't work out that way would have liked his armour. Woke everyone up in the house and prob neighbors with my scream of victory (waiting for the guards to knock at the door try and explain that one):o I have being building up to this for so long I don't know what to do now. I actually beat S+O:D:D:D. Oh and nice eye candy afterwards she is a big girl :cool: Where to next?
    Depends. You can either return to the Firelink shrine and give the Lordvessel to Frampt, find and kill Gwyndelion or you can go to the New Londo Ruins to take on The Four Kings which will reveal something. Remember, you can either give the Lordvessel to Frampt or keep it until after The Four Kings fight, you can't do both.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Depends. You can either return to the Firelink shrine and give the Lordvessel to Frampt, find and kill Gwyndelion or you can go to the New Londo Ruins to take on The Four Kings which will reveal something. Remember, you can either give the Lordvessel to Frampt or keep it until after The Four Kings fight, you can't do both.

Ah s**t I just went to firelink talked to frampt he took me under and I placed the lord vessel have i missed out on something

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah s**t I just went to firelink talked to frampt he took me under and I placed the lord vessel have i missed out on something

Did you place the vessel? You haven't really missed anything as such, it's a case of doing one or the other. You can always do the opposite on NG+ if you end up doing it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you place the vessel? You haven't really missed anything as such, it's a case of doing one or the other. You can always do the opposite on NG+ if you end up doing it.

Yes I placed it . At least I can now warp was sick of all that walking . Went back to Anor and had a peep at the Dukes archive's ah no not
    again and 2 of them should be fun

• Advertisement

Yes I placed it . At least I can now warp was sick of all that walking . Went back to Anor and had a peep at the Dukes archive's ah no not
    again and 2 of them should be fun

congrats dude. that victory must seem all the sweeter for the time youve invested. I really must set aside some time over xmas and finish my own playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,437 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

This is reminding me how better DS 1 was than DS 2 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭saidinmilamber

UGH! Disaster! I decided to make a strength build and wanted a Butcher Knife as a nice strong and fast weapon. Long story short, I got toxic poisoned on the way down to get it, and decided to leg it to the bonfire down below. Forgot that I was human though and Mildred invades. Drew her to the bonfire, killed her just as my health was nearly gone. Made it to the bonfire... and couldn't use it because those bloody mosquitos were too close. So, I died without picking up the butcher knife...

Does anyone know does that mean it's gone forever, or will her drop appear somewhere in the swamp? :-/
    Really don't want to have to restart for this!!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

UGH! Disaster! I decided to make a strength build and wanted a Butcher Knife as a nice strong and fast weapon. Long story short, I got toxic poisoned on the way down to get it, and decided to leg it to the bonfire down below. Forgot that I was human though and Mildred invades. Drew her to the bonfire, killed her just as my health was nearly gone. Made it to the bonfire... and couldn't use it because those bloody mosquitos were too close. So, I died without picking up the butcher knife...

Does anyone know does that mean it's gone forever, or will her drop appear somewhere in the swamp? :-/
    Really don't want to have to restart for this!!

It should be still there if you go back I think. Not 100% sure though, worth a try anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

What is the Fun:Rage ratio of Dark Souls?

Pac1Man wrote: »

most of the rage will come early to mid game. As for fun? depends on your definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

calex71 wrote: »
    most of the rage will come early to mid game. As for fun? depends on your definition.

Well replace fun with satisfaction. I want to lose myself in something over the Christmas but I fear the enjoyment factor won't be there.

Well replace fun with satisfaction. I want to lose myself in something over the Christmas but I fear the enjoyment factor won't be there.

the initial learning curve is steep, and you'll spend a few hours in the first set of areas making small progress, but each obstacle thats overcome feels like a genuine triumph. Theres no denying the difficulty, but generally the game doesn't dish out cheap deaths. rushing and carelessness is punished brutally.

Give Dark souls some time and it will suck you in. I came to Dark souls from Skyrim, first couple of hours playing Dark souls I thought no not for me yet I found myself loading it up every time I switched the 360 on. I have a backlog of games waiting on the shelf which i may never get to and this may sound sad but I really don' t want Dark souls to end :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its about a billion:1 if you find a PvP hotspot :D

As has been said, you hate the beginning because you suck donkey, but eventually you realise how the game is supposed to work and how to fight, after that its just about honing your skills. Very few games I've played have as much satisfaction from victories.

Aside from one section in Anor London its a very fair game, you die because you screwed up from rushing or recklessness, not unfair crap as some people have said

• Advertisement

Its about a billion:1 if you find a PvP hotspot :D

As has been said, you hate the beginning because you suck donkey, but eventually you realise how the game is supposed to work and how to fight, after that its just about honing your skills. Very few games I've played have as much satisfaction from victories.

Aside from one section in Anor London its a very fair game, you die because you screwed up from rushing or recklessness, not unfair crap as some people have said
    I never thought S+O was unfair either. I thought it was a very good fight that tested everything you learned up until that point-when to hit, when to block, when to move away, how to deal with multiple enemies at once. It's a demanding and tough fight but when you do manage to win it's fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I never thought S+O was unfair either. I thought it was a very good fight that tested everything you learned up until that point-when to hit, when to block, when to move away, how to deal with multiple enemies at once. It's a demanding and tough fight but when you do manage to win it's fantastic!

The archer bit in Anor Londo, that was infuriating!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I meant the Archers yes! O+S was one of the highlights of the game for me

The archer bit in Anor Londo, that was infuriating!

So many deaths and souls lost :(

So many deaths and souls lost :(

I havent finished the game yet, but for me, I've hit 3 spots where I started to get frustrated.

The capra demon, the anor londo archers, and now, gravelord nito - I just seem to get brutalized by his attack from underneath as soon as the fight starts.

I havent finished the game yet, but for me, I've hit 3 spots where I started to get frustrated.

The capra demon, the anor londo archers, and now, gravelord nito - I just seem to get brutalized by his attack from underneath as soon as the fight starts.

For nito taking out the skeletons (devine weapon) is important at the start and not to go too far from where you land, I went to the fight fat and with iron flesh and his grab and that other attack were the only things I needed to time and watch for, if you go light you should be well able to dodge anything he has :confused:

I might actually jump in this weekend and try and knock a bit of the rust off first, by farming some souls in the valley of the giants. the timing of blocks, rolls etc goes to pot pretty quickly without practice i find.

For nito taking out the skeletons (devine weapon) is important at the start and not to go too far from where you land, I went to the fight fat and with iron flesh and his grab and that other attack were the only things I needed to time and watch for, if you go light you should be well able to dodge anything he has :confused:
    Just get your strongest weapon and run straight to Nito, as close as you can get to avoid his weapon. Wail on him and when he does his magic attack move away and get your shield up. It'll take out all the skeletons around him and give you a chance to heal. Rinse and repeat until he is dead. Wear Havel's ring for the fight to help with equip load.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,793 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

by farming some souls in the valley of the giants

valley of the drakes , or tomb of the giants , or the forest of fallen giants ? I have not played in a while so could be forgetting it !!

my cousin just rang me the other day, he was after forgetting where to ring second bell, commented how better it was than DS2 , so I might start another game fresh myself this weekend

• Advertisement

2smiggy wrote: »
    valley of the drakes , or tomb of the giants , or the forest of fallen giants ? I have not played in a while so could be forgetting it !!

my cousin just rang me the other day, he was after forgetting where to ring second bell, commented how better it was than DS2 , so I might start another game fresh myself this weekend

Valley of fallen giants is the second game!

I think I got past Nito no problem first play through buy had to resort to Havel's on ng+, either way I'm nearly sure I beat him by spamming firestorm, he's very weak to fire.

Advertisement