Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

pixbyjohn wrote: »

You must have gotten yourself a very tall ladder recently John ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭legrand

So I see new block work being put in place at BJ Marine (other side of the porta-cabins).  There was a planning application last year that included a restaurant.  Wonder is that being built now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

legrand wrote: »
    So I see new block work being put in place at BJ Marine (other side of the porta-cabins).  There was a planning application last year that included a restaurant.  Wonder is that being built now?

Is the restaurant being built beside the porta cabin/Marina building or at the north end of the pier?

Application form was on the gate at BJ Marine porta cabins so I assume that is the location 
    Looks like they are doing some ground works too at north end of the pier - again, assume in relation to development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

interesting they're putting in a restaurant, I've complained before that there's nowhere in Greystones you can sit with a coffee or a pint and look out at the sea (they don't like it when you bring beer into the library, believe me :pac:)

The Beach House has been doing a roaring trade from the marina, this could put a dent in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

See the harbour master has closed public access because of "anti social behaviour". Is this genuine anti social behaviour, or just kids playing the harbour like they've done for decades?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    See the harbour master has closed public access because of "anti social behaviour". Is this genuine anti social behaviour, or just kids playing the harbour like they've done for decades?

Just to the North Wall? There were a lot of teenagers hanging out there during the warm weather, not surprisingly, it's out of the way with plenty of space for lots of them to hang out. A few of them were jumping into the harbour, but kids have always done that.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Just to the North Wall? There were a lot of teenagers hanging out there during the warm weather, not surprisingly, it's out of the way with plenty of space for lots of them to hang out. A few of them were jumping into the harbour, but kids have always done that.
    They're throwing in the messing with life saving equipment, but was just skeptical given the way the harbour has gone from being a genuine public amenity. I'm rarely down there now as I hate how it is, compared to how it once was, tbh!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They're throwing in the messing with life saving equipment, but was just skeptical given the way the harbour has gone from being a genuine public amenity. I'm rarely down there now as I hate how it is, compared to how it once was, tbh!

the square is a good addition, hopefully it can be used for some public events.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

If you've just driven out from Dundrum to have lunch with a friend aboard your expensive yacht moored in the marina, you don't want a bunch of local kids hanging about all afternoon on the pier where they can look down on you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

recedite wrote: »
    If you've just driven out from Dundrum to have lunch with a friend aboard your expensive yacht moored in the marina, you don't want a bunch of local kids hanging about all afternoon on the pier where they can look down on you.

If you're a working stiff who has taken two weeks off from work to go sailing on your boat (which is your summer holiday), it's a pity to start that holiday by injuring or maiming a person who is swimming in what is effectively a 'car park' for boats...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

This is what I saw on the Wicklow Alerts FB page. Sounds like a bit more than harmless "kids being kids" to me.
    ALERT - GREYSTONES AREA

Access to the North Pier in Greystones Harbour has been closed to the public by the Harbourmaster for an indefinite period.

This is as a result of anti-social behaviour from teenagers over the last number of weeks which included throwing life saving equipment into the water, jumping off the pier in front of moving boats, interfering with boats and aggressive behaviour which necessitated in the Gardai being called on more than one occasion.

It is understood that there may be a public meeting to discuss the issue in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

its for the construction of a boardwalk on the north breakwater which will be completed later in the year

Tabnabs wrote: »
    it's a pity to start that holiday by injuring or maiming a person who is swimming in what is effectively a 'car park' for boats...
    Previously they put up signs banning swimming and angling, without actually banning all public access, so this is a new restriction for whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

Alun wrote: »
    This is what I saw on the Wicklow Alerts FB page. Sounds like a bit more than harmless "kids being kids" to me.

If this is true then I expect the Gardai are taking follow up action. This would of course be normal and indeed required for such tomfoolery. Such actions should not be allowed to pertain.

If not then I would not believe this happened.

It would be very convenient for the interested parties who have a one sided focus on the use of our harbour.

Do not believe everything you read on FB or indeed any publication.

"If this is true then I expect the Gardai are taking follow up action."

Sweet baby Jesus. What a first world problem.
    I can assure you that the very stretched resources of local constabulary are not following up on a few juveniles jumping in the water in front of a few yacht owners.

Building work about to commence. Few complaints about teenagers. 2+2=5.
    Indicative of the Utopia we live in if all we have to complain about is misinformation about public disorder in the marine laneways.

Gate locked. No access. Story over. Move on .

Sasso wrote: »
    Gate locked. No access. Story over. Move on .
    Not quite, there are still a few questions which it is legitimate to ask.
    You say the pier is closed to the public because the marina operators want to hang a boardwalk off the side of it.
    How long will this work take?
    When will it commence?
    Is it really necessary to close the entire pier, as opposed to putting up some moveable barriers, just along the edge of the section they are working on at any given time?
    Why start the work in the holiday season when the harbour area is at its busiest?

I agree it would be very convenient for the interested parties who have a one sided focus on the use of our harbour.

Harbourmaster will answer all those questions for you.

Alun wrote: »
    If it's true.
    Sasso wrote:
    its for the construction of a boardwalk on the north breakwater which will be completed later in the year
    So not anti social behaviour then?

• Advertisement

AFAIK the boardwalk is the last phase of the whole project, but they are about to start construction of the apartment blocks.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/the-other-side-of-the-story/

Seems there's more to this. GG, seem determined to get to the bottom anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

LEIN wrote: »
    http://www.greystonesguide.ie/the-other-side-of-the-story/

Seems there's more to this. GG, seem determined to get to the bottom anyway!

This is a preposterous article slandering young people and indeed one in particular.
    If I were the father mentioned and photographed, I would be consulting my solicitor.
    The Gardai are the relevant authority to investigate wrongdoing not some internet blogger.
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Greystones-Harbour-Marina-29JULY16-39-678x1024.jpg

About as sensible as skateboarding around a multi-story car park...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Here's a link to the bye-laws for the harbour/marina (PDF) for those who are interested:

http://www.wicklow.ie/sites/default/files/water/Bye-Laws%20Greystones%20Harbour.pdf

6.2 No person shall, while within Greystones Harbour and Marina:
    6.2.11 Jump from the breakwaters, piers or pontoons within the Greystones
    Harbour and Marina

Tabnabs wrote: »
    About as sensible as skateboarding around a multi-story car park...
    Maybe so, but with a bit of hot weather, its as predictable as ice cream cones :)
    I previously suggested something which would cost peanuts in the overall scheme of things, and would probably solve the problem permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think it's time for Sisk/WCC need to revisit their litter strategy for the harbour plaza area.   Clearly the current lot of bins are not up to the job and in general are pretty much full and over-flowing by mid-day a on any given weekend.
    The BigBelly bins have solved the litter problem between the Cove and South Beach.  I suspect these bin types would solve the issue.

• Advertisement

Advertisement