Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ah I see, thought you were testing parts for a cab or a build.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Dusted off the famicom to have a play but felt the controller was really mushy and unresponsive. Took it apart, gave it a clean and it's working like a champ now.

Was playing some salamander and parodius. I'm not very good at shmups but still lots of enjoyment was had!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Have you got Gradius or Gradius II ?
    They are, naturally, brilliant but Gradius II is stunning.
    I'm still amazed though that they managed something as good looking as Parodius on the NES/Famicom.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Dusted off the famicom to have a play but felt the controller was really mushy and unresponsive. Took it apart, gave it a clean and it's working like a champ now.

Was playing some salamander and parodius. I'm not very good at shmups but still lots of enjoyment was had!

I'm useless at smups but always loved Salamander. Brilliant game.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I've been playing quite a bit of Soul Calibur lately on the Dreamcast. Still not much better at it.

Not retro in the slightest, but I just started to re-play Portal 2. Finished the single player and co-op on the 360 when it launched, but I couldn't pass it up on Steam.

It's down to €4.99 for another 5 and a half hours on steam for anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Had a few superguns to test so played Andro Dunos on NeoGeo for a while, nice little shooter :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Had a few superguns to test so played Andro Dunos on NeoGeo for a while, nice little shooter :)

Aye, gorgeous looking and great soundtrack.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Have you got Gradius or Gradius II ?
    They are, naturally, brilliant but Gradius II is stunning.
    I'm still amazed though that they managed something as good looking as Parodius on the NES/Famicom.

I have gradius but not II. Yeah parodius is really something for an 8-bit game!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have gradius but not II. Yeah parodius is really something for an 8-bit game!

Make it your duty to get Gradius 2, it is as amazing a feat as Parodius in my humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Was reading about Earthbound over the weekend and remembered that about 4 years ago I started a play through of the Fan translation of Mother 3. Dug out my trusty Dingoo and just gave it a whirl there during lunch. It seems the last time I played it was some time in 2011 and I'm somewhere in Chapter 3 with about 6 Hours on the play clock (although the dingoo play clock shows only 4 for some reason.)

Eitherway I was completely charmed right from the off and it all came flooding back to me, its a delight. I'm hoping to stick with it over the cold and windy nights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Make it your duty to get Gradius 2, it is as amazing a feat as Parodius in my humble opinion.

Love the gradius games. Got the hole series for the MSX (Nemesis), including parodius ... but I must admit, even though the music with the SCC chip was amazing on the MSX, the nes versions played better.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Was reading about Earthbound over the weekend and remembered that about 4 years ago I started a play through of the Fan translation of Mother 3. Dug out my trusty Dingoo and just gave it a whirl there during lunch. It seems the last time I played it was some time in 2011 and I'm somewhere in Chapter 3 with about 6 Hours on the play clock (although the dingoo play clock shows only 4 for some reason.)

Eitherway I was completely charmed right from the off and it all came flooding back to me, its a delight. I'm hoping to stick with it over the cold and windy nights.

One of the best games ever IMO, it has more charm than every current gen game put together :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

o1s1n wrote: »
    One of the best games ever IMO, it has more charm than every current gen game put together :pac:

absolutely

the relationship between the characters within your party are actually interesting and make you want to play on to find out more, they go way beyond the mysterious hero/troubled rogue and his wide eyed love interest that is so common.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭airmax87

tumblr_njkoohgg641u2ftudo1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

19xx the war against destiny..playingvthis on mame..good game

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

also messing around with bomb jack and commando on mame..jesus their as good as they were 30 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

gymman39 wrote: »
    also messing around with bomb jack and commando on mame..jesus their as good as they were 30 years ago

I find it very difficult to get the bombs in order for Bombjack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been playing a good bit of the original Tomb Raider on Steam. Took a hell of a lot of effort just to get it to work and then I modded it to include the playstation music which adds a lot to the experience. Unfortunately it's the 3Dfx version on steam, I had a Power VR version of the game that looked really nice with some effects that other versions of the game lacked.

Any I remember me saying on the podcast that Tomb Raider is horribly dated even at release. Well it is. You feel you are fighting the controls and the game engine is really archaic and janky. On the other hand it's still a great game because the level design is just so good and it forgoes the focus on the crappy combat that ruined the sequels. The levels are no where near as big as I remember them either I'm flying through the game!

I always find that, while Resident Evil was a development of the template laid down by Alone in the Dark, Tomb Raider owed a lot to Prince of Persia, especially those SURPRISE! spike filled pits.
    But it was lively running on my early 3d card, Rendition based from Creative labs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Oh the Tomb Raider control scheme is taken wholesale from Prince of Persia. It's exactly the same other than the inclusion of the z-axis. You have to walk slowly through spikes and even jumping follows the same pattern, walk slowly to a ledge and jumping back gives you enough momentum to make a running jump perfectly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The level design is indeed the games saving grace. I could never really get very interested in the sequels because the environments felt quite bland by comparison. I haven't played the newest one but I get the impression it'd be the sort of linear set piece event game that I'd be utterly bored by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I remember having camera issues with Tomb Raider, is that the case?

eddhorse wrote: »
    I remember having camera issues with Tomb Raider, is that the case?

Camera issues is being kind :)

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Oh the Tomb Raider control scheme is taken wholesale from Prince of Persia. It's exactly the same other than the inclusion of the z-axis. You have to walk slowly through spikes and even jumping follows the same pattern, walk slowly to a ledge and jumping back gives you enough momentum to make a running jump perfectly.

I got something right!
    I'm not entirely wrong!
    Either way it's been a Valentines day to remember!

Fought my first ever Pokémon battle today.
    Hmm, may be something to this malarkey

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Fought my first ever Pokémon battle today.
    Hmm, may be something to this malarkey

oldman2.jpg

Sorry, if it makes you feel any better i was 36 a week ago. I am old too :)

Steve SI wrote: »
    oldman2.jpg

Sorry, if it makes you feel any better i was 36 a week ago. I am old too :)

Well, no not really , I'm 43 :(
    I was on a management course yesterday and was the most senior there too, feck....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭BGOllie

40, never played pokemon and ain't gonna :D
    we need an old guy thread

OG239.jpg&w=396&q=100

• Registered Users Posts: 34,370 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You guys are all far too old to appreciate retrogaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

LongZ wrote: »
    40, never played pokemon and ain't gonna :D
    we need an old guy thread

OG239.jpg&w=396&q=100

Agreed.. Too many youngsters running riot these days...and get off my lawn :D

Advertisement