Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ixoy's reading log

• 04-06-2008 8:14pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to average a book every two weeks. It can be a little tough as I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi which tend towards the heftier end of the page count scale.
    So far this year I've read:
    • Market Forces - Richard Morgan
    • Pattern - K.J. Parker
    • The Thousandfold Thought - R. Scott Bakker
    • The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie
    • Brother Odd - Dean Koontz
    • Beyond Lies the Wubb - Philip K. Dick
    • Ilium - Dan Simmons
    • Forest Mage - Robin Hobb
    • Cry of the Newborn - James Barclay
    • Song of Susannah - Stephen King
    • Brassman - Neal Asher
    • Flight of the Nighthawks - Raymond E. Feist
    • The Collected Stories - Arthur C. Clarke
    • Abarat - Clive Barker

Just over 8k pages worth. I'm currently reading:
    • Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets - David Simon
    • Accelerando - Charles Stross
    • Woken Furies - Richard Morgan

Like to have a bit of variety in there. One book is always the main focus ('Market Forces' in this case) and the others to offer a bit of diversity.

Only about 40 books left in my book pile :)

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Finished 'Woken Furies' a couple of days ago and am now onto 'The Amber Spyglass' by Philip Pullman.

'Woken Furies' is definitely recommended but it takes longer to get going than Morgan's other two Kovacs novels. It's only about halfway through it that things begin to click into place and the novel, and its clever construction, begin to show. It's ultimately very satisfying but I was definitely left a little out of sorts by it initially.

Finished 'The Amber Spyglass' on Saturday and enjoyed it. For those people whose only exposure to the series is through 'The Golden Compass' (or even the movie adaptation), the series matures a huge amount over the trilogy. I believe this book is unfilmable if concessions were required to the US market - there's a strong anti-establishment (the Church) running throughout this book but it's done without the sort of vitrolic Atheist response used by Dawkins. In fact this book is very spiritual in many ways as well as imaginative. I can see why people think it's pretentious but I think that's an unfair label and the series, for its take on theology and spirituality, is quite a classic.

Next up: "Red Seas Under Red Skies" by Scott Lynch.

Finished "Red Seas Under Red Skies" late last night.

I was a big fan of the prequel "The Lies of Locke Lamorra" and this was, to be honest, a bit of a disappointment. It starts off well with the smart plot and clever twists, but about 1/3 of the way it takes a turn into a different scenario, one which seems a bit shoe-horned in. Lynch doesn't seem as capable of writing the world of the high seas and it's just not as interesting - it's far more clichéd than the world of thievery he did previously. The dialogue is still admittedly very sharp but its just not as refreshing as the debut novel and it's a bit crippled by an ending that feels forcefully rushed. Still worth reading as part of the series, I just hope for better in the 3rd installment.

Next up: "Toll the Hounds" by Steven Erikson - a nice light read at 930 pages in hardback....

Finished "Toll the Hounds" - quite enjoyed it but perhaps Erikson could do with a bit more editing? He had a tendency to ramble on a bit in places and it affected the pacing at times. The last 1/4 of the book is full on epic and it's still an essential instalment for all fans.

Also read "Swords and Devilry" by Fritz Leiber, the (chronologically) first set of Lahnkmar stories. Pretty decent and I can see how it might influence other works I've read (thinking Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastard sequence in particular).

Finished "Accelerando" by Charles Stross. It's incredibly inventive but can be quite dense at times. I don't believe characterisation is his strong point (a failing of many sci-fi authors) but the sheer originality and thought gone into this makes it worthwhile. It's not for anyone new to the sci-fi genre, and some basic understanding of science (particularly comp. sci.) will help you here.

Now I'm reading "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel alongside "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" by Jennifer Lynch.

Finished "Life of Pi" - not my normal read. It had in fact been resting on my bookshelf for several years now, having been thrown into an Amazon book order on a whimsy. Thought it was quite good, a simple moralistic tale with some genuinely nice moments. It didn't tempt me back to the world of more mainstream fiction on any long term basis however.

Also finished "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" (as witnessed by Jennifer Lynch). This ties in nicely with "Twin Peaks" and gives us great insight into Laura Palmer's character. It's quite a depressing read, witnessing the depths of self loathing and hurt someone puts themselves through. Not sure how this would work for those not familiar with the show, but if you've seen it it's a recommended piece (and officially part of the show's canon I believe).

• Advertisement

Finished "The Nano Flower" by Peter F. Hamilton, the third book in his 'Greg Mandel' series. This is an earlier book than the latter series that made him famous and it's quite different in that it leans more towards the science end of science fiction than the space opera that got him the fame and glory. Quite parochial (there is a strong thread on Welsh devolution for example) but that's no harm - some interesting ideas about alien life forms and technologies.

One minor quibble though - his characterisation can be a little weak. He flitted a little too much between some characters and then seemed to drop them, and he was far too fond of everyone praising one particular (Julia) at every second page.

Still a good read - just don't expect the planet smashing, billion-deaths of his later works.

Finished "Memory" by K.J. Parker - Book 3 of the Scavenger Trilogy. The series is about a man who wakes up with no memory of who he was and looks to uncover (and avoid) his past. The answers to who he was are here and they're actually a very satisfying conclusion.
    At times the exposition is a little too heavy - there's a bit too much revealed in long speeches but Parker's style of writing carries it through.
    Unlike many fantasy genre authors, he forgoes the laboured "and verily he climbed the mountain" style of writing and looks for something far more casual which really helps the flow. It's a recommended series, with a small caveat that you'll need to be prepared for Parker's sometimes overly-detailed knowledge of various trades and crafts (such as blacksmithing, metallurgy, and bell making).

Finished 'Shadowplay' by Tad Williams. It's the middle book of a trilogy and suffers a small bit as a result - there's a feeling that the reason characters experience events is purely to set them up for the third book. Having said that Williams is a fine writer and his characters are well crafted.

The faerie mythos in the book isn't terribly original, and I find the excerpts at the beginning of each chapter very dull, but there is still enough meat in this story to make me anticipate the third volume with the understanding that, so far, this is the weakest of his series ('Otherland' and 'Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn' were definitely superior).

Finished 'Scar Night' by Alan Campbell, Book 1 of the Deepgate Codex. Quite original and moves along at a snappy pace. It's very dark in tone and isn't really self contained - a fair few bits are left dangling for the sequel which I'll eventually get around to.

Finished 'The Dark Tower' by Stephen King, Book 7 in the series of the same name. My full thoughts on it are here, but it's a (mostly) satisfactory end to a series that I began reading almost twenty years ago. It didn't forget the face of its father :)

• Advertisement

Finished 'House Corrino' by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson - it's the final book in the "Prelude to Dune" trilogy and, much like the previous installments, it's a poorly written piece of cash-in crap. Give my user name is based on Dune (we actually get the phrase "Ixian boy" in this - from which ixoy derives), the series has a special place in my heart and I really just dislike Anderson's writing style.

I only read Book 3 because I like to finish what I started but there's little to recommend this - whilst the plot is okay the weak prose means no character or situation ever comes to life. There's a real feeling that rather than let the characters breathe, the two sat down with Brian's father's work and mechanically decided how to pad out back stories that were never envisioned, in order to maximise profit rather than story telling. The pacing is odd - sometimes events stretch half a book, other times they resolve in a page and there is none of the philosophy or insight that Frank Herbert brought with the seminal 'Dune'. It's really not worth reading and I'd tell fans of 'Dune' to avoid it.

Finished "Isle of Battle" - Book 2 of "The Swan's War" by Sean Russell. It's a pretty decent "middle" book but not exceptional. It's not bad but it's not good either and ultimately has a sort of inoffensive forgettable quality.

It's set on a small scale and this somewhat works against it - the world seems very small, so it's hard to contrast that against characters and events that we are told are epic. The characters that are there often too mired (figuratively and literally) in the one faceless location and, although that's a central point, it can become a bit laborious wading through endless descriptions of lands draped in fog and singing frogs. One character though stands out above others - Lord Carral. The author does a great job of exploring the world through this blind man and he stands out among characters where development is often flimsy.

Could do worse than this book, could do better - I'll await full judgement until I read the final instalment some point later on in this thread.

Finished 'The Worlds of Frank Herbert' - a short-story anthology of works by... Frank Herbert. The quality of writing here really shows the Dune prequels for the mindless cash-in trash that are. There's some real interesting philosophical concepts, including the seeds of ideas of genetic memory that would later appear in the Bene Gesserit in "Dune". The standout story, for me, is a piece about advertising in the future whose black humour and concepts still stand strong nearly fifty years on.

Finished "Isle Witch", Book one of "The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara" trilogy by Terry Brooks.

It's a book that's been sitting around for ages and it's been well over a decade since I visited the world of Shannara. It's a bit of a mixed bag for me - I don't find the actual world all that interesting. In these days of grim and epic fantasy, Shannara's homely mix of elves, dwarves, druids and haunted lakes seems a little too homely and almost trite.

It would be helped with an engaging plot and, for the most, this book is a decent page turner. The plot - to journey across an ocean to an unknown land to recover an item of power - is hardly startlingly original but there's a sense more will be revealed in later books. Some of the keys events in this one though feel like a series of set pieces (particularly the quest for the keys) and don't really stand out in terms of excitement or interest.

Characters in this though are quite good and I found Bek particularly easy to empathise with. Brooks turns of phrase also ensure the story never drags, even if it never lifts too much and it's all a fairly solid, if uninspiring, affair.

Finished 'The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse' by Robert Rankin.

I'm not a huge fan of the humour-fantasy sub-genre (headed by Pratchett), and alas this book hasn't really swayed me. There's some nice ideas in here and of course funny moments but I still always feel that concepts like plot and characterisation are sacrificed for the gag.

Rankin's style of writing is generally good, and certainly easy to read, but at times it aggravated me a little (e.g. he'd have a descriptive piece and then have the character utter the same description aloud or the comparative noun running gag). It's not to say that I wouldn't read another piece by him - I would - I just wouldn't be in a rush to do it when there's other works that I believe I'd find more satisfying.

Maybe a genre that's just not for me.

Finished 'Dearly Devoted Dexter' by Jeff Lindsay, the second book in his Dexter series and written before the TV adaptation of Dexter first aired.

It's quite interesting reading this as I'm a big fan of the TV series. As a result, I find myself projecting it onto the characters and in particular hearing the whole book narrated in Michael C. Hall's soft voice (the book is written in the first person). It's a testament to the strength of the show, as much as anything, that I can see this book fitting comfortably into the characters I know.

The plot itself is fairly slight and the killer-at-large works quite well. There's no last minute revelation, that hampered the Ice Truck Killer in the first book. It helps the plot here that I don't actually know what will happen as the show didn't use this for source material. Both TV and book form share a lovely taste in black sardonic humour, although I think that this Dexter is more cold and calculating than the TV version which partially can be attribute to spending more time inside his head. The other characters are all as I have come to know them on TV, although Debbie manages the feat of being even more annoying here...

I'd recommend this book for a fan of the show and for those who would like a black-hearted twist on the serial killer genre. Don't come in with too many preconceptions from the show (it does take some interesting divergences from it) but you still get to enjoy the same humour, characters (for the larg part) and screwed-up slayings that the series brings.

Finished 'Swords Against Death' by Fritz Leiber, the second volume of the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. It's composed of nine short stories, of varying length.

I think it's stronger than the first volume and some great pieces in there. Some of the stories seem a little forced (e.g. having the two enchanted and sent to a foreign continent) but there's a fair bit of wit and charm in the duo. Leiber is also quite a decent writer, with vivid descriptions and some beautiful turns of phrase. Some of the prose might seem a bit thick to the modern fantasy reader (although not so much if you're read LotR), but I think it makes the reading experience that bit more vivid.

Finished 'Return of the Crimson Guard' by Ian Cameron Esslemont. Set in Erikson's Malazan world, it chronicles events that happen somewhat in parallel with Erikson's series.

I enjoyed this one and it marks another good entry in the Malazan world as a whole. Esslemont's writing style is tighter than Eriksons. This means that there's less lush descriptions but also fewer moments of padding. I don't think he's quite got the humour that Erikson manages to inject but his characters are all quite solid and he does no disservice when handling characters created by Erikson.

A recommend book and necessary as a whole for fans of the Malazan series.

Finished 'Olympos' by Dan Simmons - the second part of the duology begun with 'Ilium' that is a re-working of Homer's Iliad with a sci-fi setting.

There's much here to like - the sheer breadth of scope and ideas, the mixing of classical literature and science fiction. The idea that you can have Achilles fight Greek Gods on the surface of a Martian moon whilst simultaneously having a plot line involving Shakespearean characters and nanotech is enticing. Like his excellent Hyperion/Endymion cantos, Simmons raises lots of questions.. unfortunately this time around the answers and resolutions aren't nearly so well handled.

The problem is that it all feels very rushed at the end - the previous cantos worked perhaps because it spread itself over four volumes. The resolution this time is deeply unsatisfactory in many aspects and many questions are only half-heartedly answered. There's also a bit too much deus-ex machina in play, when using technologies that are a little too powerful. There's even a thread of anti-Islamic ideology running through it, perhaps influenced by what was occurring in the US at the time of writing.

Right until the last 100 pages, it would have been a 4-5 star book. It's got so much going for it. It's the ending that drops it down and the lack of explanation that we got so well in the previous cantos (even the metaphysical aspects there were more enjoyable). I'd definitely recommend "Ilium" and even "Olympos" to an extent, but I'd almost tell people to drop away at Part 3 because Part 4's sense of "closure" didn't close well enough for me.

Finished 'Forever Free' by Joe Haldeman, a sequel to his highly-regarded "Forever War".

This book continues themes of alienation experienced by a war vet who is trying to re-establish his life following his time serving in a pointless war. He attempts to understand how humanity has "evolved" into a homogenous culture called Man and decides that he must escape from this culture which he feels treats him, and others, as odditiies.

Initially there was a fair bit to like here as we saw a man trying to understand the world around him, 1100 years after he was first born. The science fiction concept of relativity has been well handled previously and it plays a role here. There's an interesting mystery but it all falls to pieces when we get to an ending that is, to my mind, one of the weakest endings to a novel that I've yet encountered - truly a Deus Ex Machina cop out if ever there was. I thought that "Olympos" didn't close well but it has nothing on the mess "Forever Free" turns out - which is a shame as there was definite potential there. I cannot recommend this book however for the highly flawed resolution, the lack of insight the first gave to us, and characters whom we never really get a grip on.

• Advertisement

Finished 'King Rat' by China Miéville. I'm a massive fan of his Bas-Lag novels (kicked off with the fantastic "Perdido Street Station") but I was a little bit apprehensive approaching this, his debut novel.

I need not have been. 'King Rat' is, admittedly, a bit rough around the edges at time. Mieville hasn't quite got the characters always right and the plot is a fair bit looser than his later books. However, it's still got the taste of the "New Weird" genre and, most importantly from my perspective, it's still got that beautiful dark and dank use of language.

Mieville's writing style is unique - simultaneously dreamy, evocative, descriptive and ambiguous that he makes what would be mundane details in other hands, almost works of poetry in his. His though processes seem to often run at right angles to other writers, as are the worlds that he creates (often cited as writing on the worlds between worlds). It's an acquired taste but here we see the talent emerging in his dark, fantasy novel. Very enjoyable here and, from the point of being a debut novel, a fantastic achievement.

Finished 'The Year of Our War' by Steph Swainston. A debut novel, it's in the sub-genre of fantasy that some have labelled "New Weird" - essentially fantasy with a twist. In this case, it's a first-person narrative dictated to by an immortal drug-addicted half-angel(esque) messenger, recounting a country's fight against a mysterious race called the Insects.

There's lots of moments to like in this - some real interesting ideas here such as the drugs enabling Jant (the lead) to Shift to another world which, for my money, is a far more interesting one than the one we spend the most of our time in. There's also moments when the plot wanders around and it doesn't seem fully cohesive - the novel ends quite abruptly (it is the first in a series mind you) and there is one major incident, about mid-way, which completely shifts the book's plot but not necessarily to the book's advantage. It's a bit distracting.

Yet, having said all that, there's enough here to make me recommend the book. Some crazed ideas, some worthwhile characters, and a fairly interesting style of writing that engendered equal parts frustration and admiration. I imagine I'll read the follow up at some point, but it won't be for a while yet.

Finished "The Lees of Laughter's End" by Stephen Erikson. In publication order, it's the third tale in the Korbal & Bauchelain series (although it's the second in chronological terms).

The volume is a short story/novella set in the Malazan world but with far less focus on the epic - instead, much like his other Malazan novellas, it's a horror with a rich vein of black comedy. It serves as a great (if rather expensive) introduction into Erikson's writing style for characters and conversations and a small taste of his world. It may not add to the grander mythos but it's a very entertaining instalment and well worth the price for Malazan fans.

Finished "The Confusion" by Neal Stephenson, Part 2 of his "Baroque Cycle".

The book is a piece of historical fiction, telling of the exploits of the fictional characters of Jack Shaftoe, Eliza, and Daniel Waterhouse in the late 17th/early 18th century as they interact and weave around the historical events of the time.
    Now there's much to appreciate about this book - Stephenson has done a tremendous amount of research and he's very good at setting the period for the reader.
    Some of the plot points are clever (I did quite enjoy the ending) and there's some very interesting discourses on the inventions and changes of the time too - such as the beginning of the more complex credit trade markets (particularly relevant currently). There can be also a good line in humour, more of the witty variety (there's a great joke in there about leveraging and synergy applied to slaves) and Stephenson certainly knows how to turn a phrase. The fact that he's able to do us against a background spanning decades and the whole world is admirable.

However, at times, the pace really drags - Stephenson deliberately skips over some major events in the character's lives and instead has the characters relate them to us in pages of dialogue. Conversations, well written and all, can go on for ages - a character cannot merely say who his parents are, or where they came form, without elaborating on such over three densely-written pages. He can get dragged down too much in explaining certain aspects and settings.
    Also I find the characters a little distant and, in the case of Eliza, somewhat too cool and aloof to even like.

I think a lot of my criticisms are valid only from a personal point-of-view in that I'm not a fan of the historical-fiction genre. I favour more fantastical escapism (evident from the list above) or at least not to feel that the plot is restricted too much by the confines of history. It's my failing, rather than the authors so that whilst "The Confusion" is a good book, it's not entirely for me and maybe not necessarily for other Stephenson fans who are expecting something other thn his normal non-Baroque cycle output (including, for that matter "Cryptonomicon" which I loved).

Finished "Swords in the Mist" by Fritz Leiber - the 3rd collection of short stories/novellas concerning the adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser. There's a smaller number of stories in this one, given that a lot of it is taken up with the novella "Adept's Gambit" which sees the heroes journey to our own world. I liked elements of this novella but I'm not sure I was fond of the idea of them journeying amidst ancient Earth empires - still there was some nice concepts in it and a typically ghoulish central concept for the enemy.

The other stories are generally okay, with one standout - "Their Mistress, The Sea" - which creates a lovely sub-aqua world mastered by a beautifully bizarre triumvirate.

I believe the earlier volumes would serve as better introductions to the character, but this is a pretty decent continuation of their adventures for any who have been following the series.

Finished "Polity Agent" by Neal Asher, Book 4 in his Agent Cormac series.

I very much enjoyed this novel as it nicely ties together events from the previous three, answering questions they posed and leaving a few new interesting ones. It's a full-on space opera here, with a great pace - the action doesn't stop for near 400 pages and there's some space battles there to match anything that Reynolds or Hamilton are currently throwing out.

Characters are all pretty good although Cormac himself, given its his series, doesn't feature too much. It's more than made up by some fascinating insights into Horace Blegg and other supporting cast but that won't stop Asher being pretty ruthless to his characters.

The novel doesn't conclude properly, due to the sequel (lying on my "To Read" pile) but not too sure if I consider that a flaw, or merely an incentive to read more. A great energetic enjoyable read.

Finished "Devices and Desires" by K.J. Parker, Book 1 in his/her "Engineer" trilogy.

The same cynical style of writing that permeated his/her's in the Scavenger trilogy, is present here again. It's set in a world where the most advanced city is one built by engineers, who adhere to a rigorous set of standards for building all mechanisms and implements - from war engines to chairs. Any signs of innovation are treated in the vein of heresy, and it's actually quite an interesting concept to see that engineering here almost takes over from religion, which is largely absent. At times however, the author's clear love of engineering and technical details can be a bit tough going - we're treated to long descriptions of the technical nature of building these implements or made to be impressed by research done into hunting or the various elements of armour.

And yet for all the fact that it can get bogged down in detail, the book generally flows along. The reader is kept guessing as to what plot the titular engineer is unfolding and the writer's style gives characters generally a believable air - there's no particular bad guy, just people with differing viewpoints.

The novel also wraps itself up quite well - satisfying end, with more than enough still left for the next two instalments. I've already got the sequel bought and I'm going to simultaneously enjoy the crisp writing and interesting premise and expect to roll my eyes at the belaboured descriptions sometimes employed.

Finished "Galactic North" by Alastair Reynolds. It's a set of short stories and novellas set in his Revelation Space universe.

The stories themselves, as might be expected, are of variable quality. The first piece was quite weak, which had me worried, but most of the other pieces were of a higher quality. Their style generally has the Gothic horror that permeates his work, most noticably in the longest piece - "Nightingale" which is almost pure horror SF (albeit one of the weaker titles in my opinion).

There's a couple of stand out tales in this, including the eponymous title story "Galactic North" that will please fans of harder SF, and also some very enjoyable background detail into the world and history (and future history) of the RS universe.

Definitely recommended for fans of Reynolds as there's more than enough quality to offset the more tepid offerings.

Finished 'Ink' by Hal Duncan, the second part in the 'Book of All Hours' duology.

This book is the literary equivalent of David Lynch on a crack and LSD binge whilst consulting with old Oxford scholars. The plot is hard to describe given there hardly is one and ditto with the characters - the book features multiple versions of the same characters, spread across different realities, with each "character" reflecting a core archetype. Think that's confusing: the same mix of characters each assume different roles in each reality and each one is set against a different history of the world, at a different point in the 20th century. In some WWI never occurred, in many a nihilistic group called the Futurists have swept into power. Most feature concepts of chi, karma, and a mystical language that is used to alter the reality of the world: the Cant.
    In theory it all sounds good, but there's a large whiff of pretension at times - Duncan makes numerous references to ancient mythologies and jumps into almost scholarly asides at times, dissecting ancient legends, religions, and their derivations. The first half of the book has one version of the characters spend page after turgid page enacting the author's translation of a two thousand year-old play.

Maybe it's just too high-brow for me, maybe I just didn't make the effort required, but I could not get into this book - too dense, too difficult, and too many diversions into areas which seemed to serve no purpose. It's a shame because there's lots of wonderful moments in there too, but I can't recommend this book unless you've a passion for scholastic treatises, incredibly non-linear plots, and a box of Anadin.

• Advertisement

Finished 'The Briar King' by Greg Keyes, Book 1 in his 'The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone' quadrilogy.

The book starts out with a set of characters who seem almost clichéd - the spoilt tomboy princess, the taciturn woodsman, the naive scholar, the noble knight - and drops them into a world where an established Kingdom has ruled for millennia. What Keyes is able to do though is flesh out these characters into three dimensions over the course of the novel, defying initial expectations that they're merely card-board cut outs.

The plot itself is multi-stranded, but includes the regular fare of political ambitions and dark forces. Again Keyes handles all these well and I quite enjoyed his system of magic displayed here, which is quite religious in nature.

The short chapters lead to a snappy pace and, to his credit, Keyes drives the book to a satisfying conclusion, while still leaving open more than enough plot points for the sequels.

In some ways the story reminded me a bit of Kate Elliot's "A Crown of Stars" septology (although this could change) and I'd ultimately have the same sort of attitude to reading the sequel: Yes I will, but not before a few other books. Definitely enjoyable, without quite getting that extra factor of brilliance.

Advertisement