Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New England Patriots thread (MOD WARNING - #4503)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Hazys wrote: »
    Damn not a 6th after all....I would have kept Beauharnais and cut Mallet over a conditional 7th round pick

I think it was important to control who he went to. The AFC east have a habit of picking up each others' players!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Only 4 LBs on the roster at the moment but 11 DLs and 10 DBs...so i guess we are playing a lot of nickel and/or 3-4 this year (with Jones and Ninko as OLBs).

Beauharnais looks to have clear waivers, so hopefully he signs for the PS.

Boyce cleared waivers too...not 100% they will be bothered with signing him to the PS.

QB Bethel-Thompson has signed to the practice squad, so 3/10 spots have been confirmed.

I guess we'll hear of more signings today. I for some reason thought PS signings would be automatic but after a player clears waivers they are FAs. Contracts for the PS are not standard and can be negotiated so i guess its still all up in the air.

Side note/random thought, looks like none of our cuts were claimed by other teams and we claimed 2 of others...maybe our squad depth isn't as strong as we thought. Although we did the same last year and the lower end of the roster filled in more than amicably when we had a ton of starters go down last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Beauharnais looks to have clear waivers, so hopefully he signs for the PS.

Boyce cleared waivers too...not 100% they will be bothered with signing him to the PS.

I will be happy when Beauharnais goes on the PS. Hopefully, we won't waste a spot by signing Boyce.

Mike Reiss reporting Josh Boyce, Jake Bequette, Long snapper Charley Hughlett, CB Daxton Swanson, LB Deontae Skinner, and locker is still set up for LB Chris White, so they should all be signing for the Practice Squad. That leaves 1 more spot.....

......And Gronk has the green light for Miami!

• Advertisement

infacteh wrote: »
    ......And Gronk has the green light for Miami!

I don't want Gronk having the green light for the Dolphins. I want him having the green light for the playoffs.

Chris White is a 4 year vet so he isn't eligible for the PS

I don't want Gronk having the green light for the Dolphins. I want him having the green light for the playoffs.

Me neither, hopefully they'll use him sparingly.....
    Chris White is a 4 year vet so he isn't eligible for the PS

Maybe he'll take Mallet's spot on the 53 so, leaving 2 more PS spots......

Surprised Gallon hasnt signed to PS...was injured most of training camp so i doubt they saw enough of him to write him off completely

Me neither, hopefully they'll use him sparingly....

If they haven't learned to use him sparingly after three successive season altering injuries, then they'll probably never learn. So I'm being pessimistic and guessing they'll revert to habit using Gronk. I want to see Brady build that trust with La Fell and Amedola, building upon the good 2013 base with Dobson and Thompkins. I'm also hoping UDFA Tyms makes the roster and works with Brady, because there is something very Mosseseque about him on the field. Then let them use Gronk more strategically and maybe then we'll have him for the season.

• Advertisement

@MikeReiss

Gronk: “Definitely not [playing] every single snap. But just get out there, get my feet wet, whatever we game-plan this week, will be good.”

If they haven't learned to use him sparingly after three successive season altering injuries, then they'll probably never learn. So I'm being pessimistic and guessing they'll revert to habit using Gronk. I want to see Brady build that trust with La Fell and Amedola, building upon the good 2013 base with Dobson and Thompkins. I'm also hoping UDFA Tyms makes the roster and works with Brady, because there is something very Mosseseque about him on the field. Then let them use Gronk more strategically and maybe then we'll have him for the season.

Tyms was impressive alright. Hopefully we can use Gronk as a third down and red zone only TE. Use him when we most need him, not blocking for PAT's!

And the 10 practice squad players are: DE Bequette, QB Bethel-Thompson, WR Boyce, LB Davis, S Davis, RB Gray, LS Hughlett, OL Martin, LB Skinner, CB Swanson.

No Beauharnis or Finch, 2 lads alot was expected from

With the Mankins move and the roster cuts, we now have a very healthy $14.2 million in cap space.

Say this, pretty interesting:
    Reason for the $10m or so cap space:

1.) Pay for the 10-man practice squad - minimum of $1.7 million - Will happen on 9/4
    2.) Account for Brian Tyms - 400K - Will happen on 9/4
    3.) Pay for the 4 players who are already on IR - $1.212 million - Will happen on 9/4
    4.) Pay for players 52 and 53 - 840K - Will happen on 9/4
    5.) Injury settlements with Terrence Miller and Steve Beauharnais - Already happened. Amounts unknown.
    6.) Cushion for reached NTLBE 46-man active roster bonuses - maximum of $2.2 million
    7.) Cushion for other reached NTLBE incentives. Do know that Wilfork could earn 3M, Vollmer 2M, Browner 1.25M, Edelman 500K. Am sure that other players have NLTBE incentives but do not know the details.
    8.) Pay for players who replaced players who are placed on IR during the season - around 2M
    9.) Have space for extensions (Ridley, Vereen, Cannon, Solder, Gostkowski. McCourty, Revis, Slater). Some extensions could increase player's 2014 cap number/
    10.) Carry over space to pay back borrowed cap space in 2011/2012. Do not know if the Pats did borrow cap space. They may have.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/10-possible-reasons-for-patriots-to-have-cap-space.1111669/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Such a tough situation given the past . We need him peaking for the playoffs , but, that's easier said than done. Have to take our time and will need a bit of luck. Last three times , when it matters we have been left thinking , what if Gronk was here (I know he was technically there the first time)

Such a tough situation given the past . We need him peaking for the playoffs , but, that's easier said than done. Have to take our time and will need a bit of luck. Last three times , when it matters we have been left thinking , what if Gronk was here (I know he was technically there the first time)

We can only hope common sense prevails. Last year Brady was in unprecedented territory for any elite QB, entering the season with a WR corp wiped out. This year he has all his productive WR's coming back. So you would imagine that should put less pressure to rush Gronk onto the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

We can only hope common sense prevails. Last year Brady was in unprecedented territory for any elite QB, entering the season with a WR corp wiped out. This year he has all his productive WR's coming back. So you would imagine that should put less pressure to rush Gronk onto the field.

The temptation to bring him back is probably partly due to an argument about the quality of Brady that usually gets brought up around this time every year i.e. He's been absolutely phenomenal, but could he have been even better if he had a settled receiving corps from season to season. Obviously in this case it relates to Gronk specifically in that he's the one Brady has the biggest relationship with on the current roster and so you're tempted to put him out there straight away and watch them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Goose_Hyypia

And the 10 practice squad players are: DE Bequette, QB Bethel-Thompson, WR Boyce, LB Davis, S Davis, RB Gray, LS Hughlett, OL Martin, LB Skinner, CB Swanson.

No Beauharnis or Finch, 2 lads alot was expected from

Is Beauharnais on any practise squad in the league ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Is Beauharnais on any practise squad in the league ?

It doesn't look like he has.

I'm a little surprised on Beauharnais. I thought he was our top cut (as in closest to making the 53) but the Patriots don't even consider him good enough to make the practice squad (especially since we are so thin at ILB).

Looking at twitter is the only info i've seen since he's been cut, mentions that he has a minor injury but he is ready for week 1 if somebody signs him. More looking around twitter and connecting the dots, its possible that the Pats tried to stash him on IR because of the minor injury and he refused becoming a FA.

According to Mike Reiss, he had a workout with the Giants today (Gallon had a workout with the Dolphins).

Handy that Beauharnais is such a unique name that its easy to search on Twitter.

EDIT: More looking around Twitter, the Pats didn't try to IR him. They cut him and gave him a 2 week injury settlement. So Pats had no interest in keeping him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

Some great shows on sky sports1 all day entitled "Football life". Was a special on Tim Tebow and another on Walter Payton which I really enjoyed. I know its only to raise the profile of nfl with the opening match tonight but its great that their showing these programmes on their main channel all day.

One thing I'd like to see Bill do different this year, is how he handles Ridley. Meaning, if Ridley does has a fumble and he will because all RB's do. I don't want Bill to bench him. I want him to put Ridley back out there for a change. The guy doesn't need to learn, at this stage he knows what he has to do on the field. He is the only three down back we have and he is by far our most talented pure running back.

I think Bill has long since made his point and this year I'd like to see him move on from simple benching. If it happens, keep him out for a few snaps, get him to refocus and then let Bill say "Get out there and do what we know you can do." I think once a player has been benched several times it losses its initial benefit. Long term, I think it can make a player a bag of nerves going onto the field. Ridley is too good to be punished like a child, high time imo we treated him like a man. It would probably do wonders for his confidence and self belief.

I see we resigned Danny Aiken and I don't know why we even cut him tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

To keep Mallett before we traded him.

Just watched Darrelle Revis - A Football Life on the Gamepass player. I'd say Revis is really looking forward to rolling into Met Life in a Patriot's uniform and picking up a 'W', possibly more so than us!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

Brady missed practice today with a calf injury. Hope it's not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

One thing I'd like to see Bill do different this year, is how he handles Ridley. Meaning, if Ridley does has a fumble and he will because all RB's do. I don't want Bill to bench him. I want him to put Ridley back out there for a change. The guy doesn't need to learn, at this stage he knows what he has to do on the field. He is the only three down back we have and he is by far our most talented pure running back.

I think Bill has long since made his point and this year I'd like to see him move on from simple benching. If it happens, keep him out for a few snaps, get him to refocus and then let Bill say "Get out there and do what we know you can do." I think once a player has been benched several times it losses its initial benefit. Long term, I think it can make a player a bag of nerves going onto the field. Ridley is too good to be punished like a child, high time imo we treated him like a man. It would probably do wonders for his confidence and self belief.
    If they are bad fumbles, for example he has a first down and is being tackled but tries to make more ground and ends up losing the ball, then I hope Bill benches him.

I'm not convinced he is our best back anyways. I like Vereen a lot and I like White a lot too. I think White could be very special from what I've seen. I wouldn't be surprised to see him start our first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

me89 wrote: »
    Brady missed practice today with a calf injury. Hope it's not serious.
    I was wondering about that post and I see you edited it.:D

I wouldn't be the slightest bit worried by a Brady being on the injury report. That is a regular thing that Bill does.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not convinced he is our best back anyways.

He's the only real three down back we have, Bolden is his competition and his inconsistency and lack of durability speaks for itself. Vereen and Whites excellent pass catching ability, solidifys them in their own category as our finesse RB's. White is a natural clone of Vereen and I've have no doubt he will play against Miami. What our run game really lacks is cover for Ridley.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement