Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone out there able to repair broken hdmi cable?

• 02-08-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

A hdmi cable runs approx 2 - 3metres through a wall from our tv to skybox. Unfortunately the end which connects to the skybox has broken. Removing the cable or installing a new one isn't an option. Researching how to fix it suggests soldering etc., which I would have no familiarity/experience of. Anyone tried repairing a hdmi cable before or have similar experience??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Not sure how reliable soldering would be, how about a wireless TV sender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭winston_1

mcon1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Removing the cable or installing a new one isn't an option.

Why? I ask this because this is what you need to do. Resoldering an HDMI cable is not something I would attempt and I have been soldering electronics for 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcon1

winston_1 wrote: »
    Why? I ask this because this is what you need to do. Resoldering an HDMI cable is not something I would attempt and I have been soldering electronics for 50 years.

Because the cable runs through the wall

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Here you go this man had the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭domel

is this is an only hdmi going to tv? any other wires?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ei9go

But the cable had to go through the wall initially.

Why can't you replace it?

There are 19 connections on a HDMI plug and it's very small.

Good luck with soldering that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I tried it once and never again....nitemare like working with a cat5 cable only worse............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Repairing a hdmi cable is extremely difficult....different cable core configs between cable manufacturers, even with the same cable/same manufacturer but different batch.

Cores have to be correctly retwisted, one wrong twist...no signal...better to chase wall and run a new one...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'd say replacing it is the easier job. I'm in the same boat myself at the minute but I wouldn't even entertain the thought of repairing the cable and I have to take the damn sitting room apart to replace it.
    Damn my cheap ass ways, I knew when I was doing it that the smart thing to do would be run a spare cable just in case:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

You can run hdmi signals through cat 5e Ethernet cable if you can run that somewhere. This is the dealie you need

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B002ECYEYA?pc_redir=1408947868&robot_redir=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

but if there is an existing cable going through the wall why cant you use that to pull a new cable through the wall? The hdmi head isnt much bigger than the width of the cable so you probably wouldnt have to enlarge the existing whole very much, if at all.

And reading the OP again the run is only 2-3 meters so presumably in the same room. Sounds very doable. Much easier than repairing the cable. Might even be a good idea to install something like this http://cpcireland.farnell.com/_/hdmiwp-white/hdmi-wallplate-backbox/dp/AV17639

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

Beano wrote: »
    but if there is an existing cable going through the wall why cant you use that to pull a new cable through the wall? The hdmi head isnt much bigger than the width of the cable so you probably wouldnt have to enlarge the existing whole very much, if at all.

And reading the OP again the run is only 2-3 meters so presumably in the same room. Sounds very doable. Much easier than repairing the cable. Might even be a good idea to install something like this http://cpcireland.farnell.com/_/hdmiwp-white/hdmi-wallplate-backbox/dp/AV17639

Yea, hook the start of a new cable to the end of the old and pull!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Sometimes this is not possible if the hole in the wall is only big enough to take the actual cable and not the HDMI connector on the end of the cable had a similar situation myself. The cat5 is a good option as you can run this cabling through the wall using the existing HDMI cable to pull it through and crimp the cat5 connoctors(RJ-45) onto the cable when you have it through the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 mcon1

that's the case...can't pull cable through wall and replace as it was just plastered over and not run through anything :(
    (That wasn't done when I lived in house btw!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

if you put in two wall plates then that will cover up the slightly enlarged holes you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Not sure how reliable soldering would be, how about a wireless TV sender

Any recommendations for a wireless sender?

Nope, but i did read something about hdmi over electrical mains

http://http://www.satking.com.au/audio-visual/hdmi-over-power-line/hdmi-plc-transmitter-receiver

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

If it's only a 4" block wall it's very easy to just pull out the old cable and install a new one. Just get a hamer and screw driver and tap out a small hole either side, big enough to fit the new HDMI cable connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

pegasus1 wrote: »

Thanks. Looks like all these solutions wired or wireless are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

You can buy a hdmi cable for about a 5er

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Video wrote: »
    You can buy a hdmi cable for about a 5er
    How would that help the OP?

Mains cabling is not designed to carry data and to use it in this causes serious interference to other users of the radio spectrum.

Smart meter communication.....one way is over powerlines...

Smart meter communication.....one way is over powerlines...

Doesn't make it right of course. But the amount of data from a smart meter is very small, whereas that from HDMI would be large and cause a lot of interference.

Smart meters generally use GSM type technology anyway rather than powerline.

Advertisement