Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NUIM First Years Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 e94a

Anyone doing social science?:B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Keep an eye for inflatable mattresses in Lidl/Aldi. I got a great double one for 20 quid with an electric pump. Well worth the investment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Hargadon - Apartment No 11 anybody??

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

9bred4 wrote: »
    Hargadon - Apartment No 11 anybody??

Hargadon sounds so dangerous..

miissjuly wrote: »
    Hargadon sounds so dangerous..

Harry Potter Style!

• Advertisement

Harry Potter Style!

The south campus actually looks like those buildings in Harry Potter. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jDicey

Waheeey, first years! Who's in Rye Hall? Can't wait to do some splorin'! Too many exclamations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Back in my day all first years living on campus went around knocking on each others' doors and introduced themselves to their neighbours on the first night.

500px-Parker_Fennelly_.png

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Back in my day we met our neighbours by hanging outside the building with unicyclists and fire breathing displays.

Actual True Story.

Help! I just received a letter from fees and grants office to pay the student contribution and student levy fee. I applied for susi grant but it's still in process (there's no reason why I shouldn't be getting it) so I heard if you are eligible for susi you don't need to pay the student contribution fee. How does that work? I am told to pay the fees online prior to registration but I also read a post by a boardsie that you don't have to pay just have to show evidence of your application for a susi grant when you go there to register. Registration for me is on the 17th of September what am I to do now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Pay the student levy, and on registration day bring your letter from SUSI that says you're eligible for a grant. They'll take that, photocopy it and enrol you.

Even if you don't have that, just tell them you're expecting it soon. It's pretty much impossible to get turned away on registration day unless:

1) You're a homeless person just looking for company and decided to hang out in the Fees & Grants Office, or

2) You're actually on the grounds of the wrong college.

You'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Anyone else doing European Studies?German's my language but I'm not sure what to choose for the other subject,I'm thinking either Sociology or History.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Zemuppet

Just wondering, does anyone know where on campus the mature student orientation starts tomorrow. Lost my fecking timetable, great way to get back to full time education :)

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

Zemuppet wrote: »
    Just wondering, does anyone know where on campus the mature student orientation starts tomorrow. Lost my fecking timetable, great way to get back to full time education :)

I imagine theres an online timetable if you can navigate the site... I'll look it up for you if the computer starts working....

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Karmaa

Zemuppet wrote: »

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/sites/default/files/assets/document/NUI%20First%20Week%20Guide%202014%20%28Final%20Draft%29.pdf

I'm sure you'll find it in this guide. :)

Ok so what do I need done prior to registration day? I've paid for semester 1 accom. Going to pay the student levy fee. Brining a form showing my grant application. Bringing my passport as proof of me. My CAO offer letter.

What else do I need to do? Do I need to register online or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ace of Hearts

Anyone else having problems with the student web services? I'm having difficulty with the registration. Every time I click on "I accept" for Step 1, it will not let me progress. It tells me to please complete step 1. WTF? Is there something obvious that I am not doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

SportsMad1 wrote:
    Anyone else having problems with the student web services? I'm having difficulty with the registration. Every time I click on "I accept" for Step 1, it will not let me progress. It tells me to please complete step 1. WTF? Is there something obvious that I am not doing?

I dont think 1st years are able to register online, think we can only do it on the day

Lara_15 wrote: »
    I dont think 1st years are able to register online, think we can only do it on the day

Are you sure? I received a letter saying that payment of fees (student levy and/or student contribution) must be made online prior to the date of registration. Did you receive this letter?

I reckon you just pay online without registering. It'll be logged with your account

• Advertisement

I reckon you just pay online without registering. It'll be logged with your account

Ah, you're right, my mistake. I thought I had to go through the whole on-line registration process in order to pay the fees. I see that these are completely unrelated issues. Sorry for the confusion caused!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

Hodor is going yo be at Game of Thrones night :) that should be a great night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Sorry but am I the only one here who hasn't a clue about Game of Thrones?

thelad95 wrote:

no interest in it whatsoever

thelad95 wrote:

no interest in it whatsoever

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

thelad95 wrote: »

I've seen one episode and a man's head was smashed in. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Person: Oh man, have you not seen GoT? It's got dragons and magic and a midget and–

Me: Stop right there.

we should gather a group of non GoT people and all head out to mantra or the roost that night

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Picasso711

You are really missing out... Its easy to write things off when you have not tried them, most people do write GoT off at first but I have not met anyone who has given it a fair chance - not enjoy it...

Enjoy mantra anyways... I am sure you won't be missed....

• Advertisement

Picasso711 wrote:
    Enjoy mantra anyways... I am sure you won't be missed....

whoah chill haha

Advertisement