Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2013 Cooking Club Week 44: Chicken Balti and Flavoured Basmati Rice

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

I just had this for dinner. I haven't had this style curry for awhile so i was looking forward to it. I was expecting it to be a bit heavy but it wasn't it was perfect and very delicious. Loved the fresh spices and the clove, gota love spinach in a curry :pac:

thanks BaZmo!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I just had this for dinner. I haven't had this style curry for awhile so i was looking forward to it. I was expecting it to be a bit heavy but it wasn't it was perfect and very delicious. Loved the fresh spices and the clove, gota love spinach in a curry :pac:

thanks BaZmo!

High praise indeed. When the Curry Addict compliments you on your recipe, you know you've gone and done good. :D

Glad you enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made this for dinner. I toasted the spice and threw it into the grinder, sure didn't I forget that it's motor was up in smoke some weeks ago. So mortar & pestle did the (long) job, with the help of Mr Fox's biceps.
    It was very tasty indeed, and the heat was right up my street. All I could hear from himself was, 'Whoah that's spicy.... Whoah... Whoah...Whoah!'. But kept on eating.
    Thanks Baz. Two thumbs up. Photo up on HWIHFD thread.

pugwall wrote: »
    Very tasty indeed! I was a bit worried when I added the 350 Mls of stock as I thought it would be too watery but the consistency of the finished product was perfect. I cooked the rice I the rice cooker adding the fried spices as per recipe and the rice turned out fab, way better than usual. Take away quality :-)
    Overall, 10 out of 10 sir! This will become a staple here.

I forgot to say that the recipe only calls for 200ml of stock. The 350ml that's mentioned refers to using 1 stock pot with 350ml instead of the recommended 500ml. So you make 350ml stock but only use 200ml (hence the reason why I mentioned using the empty 400ml tin of tomatoes to measure the 200ml)

I should've made that bit clearer in the description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Great photos OP,really nice.

When I make curries, I use an entirely different method. I make a curry base, which is mainly onions being cooked down for several hours. I then pre-cook chicken and freeze it.

This then provides the base for pretty much any curry. All I have to do after that is add a few different spices depending on whatever curry I am making. This is the method that all British Indian Curry Houses use. It means once you have done all the time consuming work making the base and precooked chicken, you can come home and have a restaurant quality curry in about 10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Great photos OP,really nice.

When I make curries, I use an entirely different method. I make a curry base, which is mainly onions being cooked down for several hours. I then pre-cook chicken and freeze it.

This then provides the base for pretty much any curry. All I have to do after that is add a few different spices depending on whatever curry I am making. This is the method that all British Indian Curry Houses use. It means once you have done all the time consuming work making the base and precooked chicken, you can come home and have a restaurant quality curry in about 10 minutes.

Thanks.

Yeah I've made curries like that too. The Curry Secrets book gives lots of recipes for making curries that way, and our very own Curry Addict has given us lots of recipes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I have just started looking at this section of boards. After posting what I did, I looked through a few things and saw that curryaddict was also posting about using a base.

I learned everything I know about it from the secretcurryrecipes.com forum. There is so much info on there.

Im from Scotland, so I found a lot of the Indian restaurants I had been to in Ireland were nothing like what I had grown up with, so in a bid to get some, I discovered that site. Now I have cupboards full of 1kg bags of spices as I got a bit carried away with myself and eat curries all the time!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Welcome. ^

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fresheire

how can I salvage the big pot of this curry?

not sure where I went wrong or is it just not my cup of tea in terms of flavour - was I supposed to use the whole spice mix for 4ppl portion?

hope that was my error as this is what I did - dumped all the mix into chicken now its strong on cloves and v hot from these 2 tsp of chillie flakes - also Ive added all of the stock as mine was v thick and not that salty at all

anyway now I have a pot full of this curry and no volunteers to munch it down - so what can I do to save it? would adding some coconut milk help?

fresheire wrote: »
    how can I salvage the big pot of this curry?

not sure where I went wrong or is it just not my cup of tea in terms of flavour - was I supposed to use the whole spice mix for 4ppl portion?

hope that was my error as this is what I did - dumped all the mix into chicken now its strong on cloves and v hot from these 2 tsp of chillie flakes - also Ive added all of the stock as mine was v thick and not that salty at all

anyway now I have a pot full of this curry and no volunteers to munch it down - so what can I do to save it? would adding some coconut milk help?

If you followed the recipe I'm not sure where you went wrong. Maybe it's just not a style you like?

What type of stock did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fresheire

I used the knorr jelly type stock. It seams very heavy on clove - but again I love coconut sweet type of curry (from curry addicts rcipees - malaysian or green curry) and was probably expecting same thing here but with a hint of tomatoes.

i did check the recipe few times to make sure if I should use all or just some of the spice mix but at the end used it all

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Cheers OP. Cooked this for the dinner last night and it was really fab. Re-heated it for lunch at work today and it was even better. Big fan of Indian cooking and I have lots of various recipes but this is definitely going to go on the list of regular curries.

I'd say it would go brilliantly with a cold beer but I try to avoid the scoops on a school night. A reason to try again over the weekend if ever I needed one.

garbanzo wrote: »
    Cheers OP. Cooked this for the dinner last night and it was really fab. Re-heated it for lunch at work today and it was even better. Big fan of Indian cooking and I have lots of various recipes but this is definitely going to go on the list of regular curries.

I'd say it would go brilliantly with a cold beer but I try to avoid the scoops on a school night. A reason to try again over the weekend if ever I needed one.

Cool. Glad you enjoyed it. I always love it the next day. The flavours all meld together and it tastes much richer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Made this a while back (without the rice) but didn't post. Really really tasty! Don't have a grinder so used a pestle and mortar instead - the smell in the kitchen was amazing!

Advertisement