Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sound proofing between neighbours ?

• 01-01-2012 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

We live in a relatively new build, about 9yrs old, its a semi. House thrown together so we can literally hear every single movement and conversation from next door.

Have we any options for soundproofing the internal wall attached to them?

Has anyone done this and roughly how much does it cost and how affective is it?

Really have to do something soon otherwise I'm going to crack up with the lack of sleep:mad:

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Put this into google:
    sound insulation" site:boards.ie

About 1000 items

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jasper2012

Real helpful!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

In fairness to carlow there are countless threads on the subject, search the forum and the diy one for soundproofing and you'll get a heap of links.

There is no quick fix, a real fix is going to cost you a couple of grand minimum.

A lad on here did pay a company to do a bedroom party wall in his apartment and it was a sucess for him, the company was acoustifire i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,759 ✭✭✭✭muffler

jasper2012 wrote: »
    I'm going to crack up with the lack of sleep:mad:
    Real helpful!!!!!!!
    Dont take the effects of your lost sleep out on anyone who posted a helpful reply to your query.

muffler wrote: »
    Dont take the effects of your lost sleep out on anyone who posted a helpful reply to your query.
    You call that response helpful, odd!!

Slavetothegrind I did do a search but couldnt find anything, I'm new to this forum and couldnt find the answer I was looking for. I thought some nice user here could direct me to a thread but obviously was asking a little much.

I googled numerous times and have done research,I was trying to get first hand feedback from someone who has had success.

Dont worry I'll look elsewhere!!

Over & Out:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

In fairness to carlow there are countless threads on the subject, search the forum and the diy one for soundproofing and you'll get a heap of links.

There is no quick fix, a real fix is going to cost you a couple of grand minimum.

A lad on here did pay a company to do a bedroom party wall in his apartment and it was a sucess for him, the company was acoustifire i think?
    sorry meant to say thank you I'll google that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Jasper
    Google moy Isover and look at link Cilibal board. Used it once my client was very happy with the result. tHERE ARE DIFFERENT THICKNESSES. OR RING THE COMPANY they will send you a rep to help you with you spec.
    NW

North West wrote: »
    Hi Jasper
    Google moy Isover and look at link Cilibal board. Used it once my client was very happy with the result. tHERE ARE DIFFERENT THICKNESSES. OR RING THE COMPANY they will send you a rep to help you with you spec.
    NW
    Great thanks will give them a call today.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

i think its calibal isnt it used it loads of times top stuff just make sure its is packed with acoustic wool at bottoms and any spaces you also will need a good plasterer for this work

stretchaq wrote: »
    i think its calibal isnt it used it loads of times top stuff just make sure its is packed with acoustic wool at bottoms and any spaces you also will need a good plasterer for this work
    Just want to say thanks a mill for this and to' North West ' as well for the original suggestion, it seems to be the way to go. Called the company and got great advice from them. Anyone that uses this system seems to be very happy with the results. Hubbie is going to try his hand at putting it in place so hopefully work will start at the weekend.

Our only problem is our wall of sliderobes in our bedroom have to come apart in order to get the job done properly but I think its a small price to pay.

We will have to get the whole place plastered afterwards so probably looking at about €2k for the complete job.

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Let us know how you get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Just want to say thanks a mill for this and to' North West ' as well for the original suggestion, it seems to be the way to go. Called the company and got great advice from them. Anyone that uses this system seems to be very happy with the results. Hubbie is going to try his hand at putting it in place so hopefully work will start at the weekend.

Our only problem is our wall of sliderobes in our bedroom have to come apart in order to get the job done properly but I think its a small price to pay.

We will have to get the whole place plastered afterwards so probably looking at about €2k for the complete job.

Thanks again.
    Given that MoyIsover seem to have gone bust am curious as to what company you called

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Carlow52 wrote: »
    Given that MoyIsover seem to have gone bust am curious as to what company you called

Isover are owned by Saint Gobain - so you should be able to get it from most builders merchants. Moy may have been just the Irish distributor at one stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Moy is not gone bust just doesnt manufactur in ireland anymore all there stuff is imported

Just wanted to update this thread to say that we got two of our four rooms done with calibal boards and we've noticed a huge difference.

My husband did all the work himself, there was absolutely no insulation in our house :mad: so he stuffed the bottom and tops of the boards (and all around the window frames) with rockwool and used an acoustic adhesive/silicone filler as well.

Voices have dramatically reduced, where we used to be woken half the night with noise I can honestly say I'm having great nights sleep:D

Anything we do hear is much more muffled and rather than sounding like the neighbours are living with us they now sound a million miles away.

We are going to get the other two rooms done asap and just need to get it all plastered and re-decorated then.

I would recommend this stuff to anyone else who is considering soundproofing, its definately worth the investment.

Edited to add we used the thickest boards we could get for most of the walls but had to use the thinest boards on our bay window because of of tight space at the window frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rachel171

Hi jasper. Just wondering where you got the calibal boards from. Can you describe the process to me somewhat? I am extremely new to DIY! Thanks in advance!
    Just wanted to update this thread to say that we got two of our four rooms done with calibal boards and we've noticed a huge difference.

My husband did all the work himself, there was absolutely no insulation in our house :mad: so he stuffed the bottom and tops of the boards (and all around the window frames) with rockwool and used an acoustic adhesive/silicone filler as well.

Voices have dramatically reduced, where we used to be woken half the night with noise I can honestly say I'm having great nights sleep:D

Anything we do hear is much more muffled and rather than sounding like the neighbours are living with us they now sound a million miles away.

We are going to get the other two rooms done asap and just need to get it all plastered and re-decorated then.

I would recommend this stuff to anyone else who is considering soundproofing, its definately worth the investment.

Edited to add we used the thickest boards we could get for most of the walls but had to use the thinest boards on our bay window because of of tight space at the window frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Not my real name

Hi Rachel

I lost my log in details so had to sign up again.

We got the boards from U Value insulation. They are also great for advice.

My husband did all the work but in the end it was realatively easy for him to fit them. Basically we didnt have any plasterboards on our walls except around the bay window. He was able to put the insulation boards straight onto the concrete wall and he used plugs and glue to stick them on. He had to take the plasterboard off around the window and restick the new stuff on. He then stuffed every single hole he could find with rockwool. (In time I want to try get the attic insulated as well) All the walls then had to be replastered and painted up again.
    As you can see from my description I am no expert on this stuff lol but the guys in U value are helpful and will probably explain it better than me.

As i said I found the reduction in sound great. THey were blaring music one night and I could still hear the thumping noise and if the kids are screaming we can hear it. BUt its a huge improvement to hearing every single word. Its definately making life less stressful.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Soft Day

Probably too late but Phonewell is a great product to reduce sound through walls -I've used it several times. Proper soundproofing product.

Advertisement