Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

total control

Options
  • 05-07-2006 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

for me eric johnson is number 1 just a perfect tone and technique that makes me hate the ****

check it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

possibly one of the best guitarists ive ever seen.. i dont think ive ever seen such clean playing, theres not a fraction of sound that he didn't want you to hear there.. amazing tone aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Pity about the voice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

fish-head wrote:
    Pity about the voice..

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Ej's clean tone is absolutly phonemal!! on trademark tis my fav clean tone ever... his overdrive is super warm and just Ej-ish... he has a wonderfull tone for most of his guitars its just amazing... i love they guy..

+ al's back from my 5 week tour of europe expect more postys from me :) + picked up some behringer pedals onm y travels!! the "tube overdrive" pedal is sweetttttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

EJ is a totally amazing guitarist (and he also has a great overdriven powerchord sound in addition to all his other great sounds). I don't think anyone comes close to his technique (except for total fretboard ****).
    I have to say though that somehow he leaves me cold. He should be a professor of guitarology somewhere rather than being in a band IMHO.
    I'd like to see him performing with a more rockin' band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

EJ makes me harbour unhealthy feelings towards my strat so I have to lock her up before listening to EJ.

He's so good it's disgusting.

Bastard. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

i agree with the sentiment that he should be a teacher (even to the pro's) lots of savage guitarists lack restraint or subtlty or even a damn sexy tone...not too many have it all

unfortunatly he doesn't work so well in a band setup as johnny s pointed out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

He's great. Not really my taste but it's very well done. I think Scott Henderson is another blindingly good player. He has a really distinct sound and perfect control over the intrument. His voice is better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

eric johnson is amazing. He makes me want to smash my guitars and never touch them again.

some more rockin' stuff: EJ playing cliffs of dover

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O_jwCETqFRM&mode=related&search=eric%20johnson

that is just jaw droppingly good. If I could play 5% of what he does I'd consider myself a good player.
    In my mind he's probably the best guitar player ever. Sorry, but clapton/page/hendrix have nothing on this guy.

I would go gay for eric johnson. almost. especially if i could pick up his talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Neurohacker

Wow - lots of EJ love goin on here.

If you ever get a chance to hear his arrangement of "The First Noel" on the first Merry Axemas album, it's absolutely incredible.

He's got amazing technique and touch, but somehow it hasn't seemed to translate into good albums. After being blown away by his performance on The First Noel and some instructional vids, I picked up Ah Via Musicom and Venus Isle. In fairness I've only listened to them a few times & maybe I need to give them more of a chance, but I was left disappointed.

Any suggestions for essential EJ listening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I got kinda bored a minute into that vijo. I can't say I'm totally blown away by him really. Gimme Rory Gallagher or Brian Setzer and I'll be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Eric Johnson guitar lesson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uh2gcnGUcI

Advertisement