Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jan and Klodi's Party Bus - part II **off topic discussion**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Alek wrote: »
    One of my favourite English words :)

Really? It gives me diaerisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

Whatever the name of the thread, this is amazing! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

I owe these guys an apology - they have changed it this time -

360887.jpg

In fairness its probably a sponsored piece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

youwhoglue wrote: »
    Whatever the name of the thread, this is amazing! :eek:

Humans are extraordinary! :eek:

I'll bet there was someone doing the equivalent with horse and chariot in 1100 BC.

What a champion she is!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I owe these guys an apology - they have changed it this time -

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/700762/360887.jpg

In fairness its probably a sponsored piece

This is starting to get spammy - you've made your point several times now, stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Does anyone cycle along the cycle track, from grand canal up along the canal towards Rathmines and beyond? I've noticed something about it's design which is a bit ridiculous. So for those who aren't familiar, it's a two lane off-road cycle track that goes along the canal. Whenever there's a junction there are separate cycle lane traffic lights. The ones with a picture of a bike. There are also markings on the ground signifying the STOP line for when these lights are red. However, these lights are activated by a sensor... and this sensor will only activate the bicycle lights if you roll past the stop line (which is a 40€ on the spot fine). :eek::eek:

Here's a link to a junction:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/81540/360890.png

If you look at the right hand side, you'll see the pole which has the pedestrian button attached. On top of this you can see an odd shaped sensor, which is what monitors the cycle lane. And on the left you have a stop line (not a yield as some of these junctions have...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Does anyone cycle along the cycle track, from grand canal up along the canal towards Rathmines and beyond? I've noticed something about it's design which is a bit ridiculous. So for those who aren't familiar, it's a two lane off-road cycle track that goes along the canal. Whenever there's a junction there are separate cycle lane traffic lights. The ones with a picture of a bike. There are also markings on the ground signifying the STOP line for when these lights are red. However, these lights are activated by a sensor... and this sensor will only activate the bicycle lights if you roll past the stop line (which is a 40€ on the spot fine). :eek::eek:

If you look at the right hand side, you'll see the pole which has the pedestrian button attached. On top of this you can see an odd shaped sensor, which is what monitors the cycle lane. And on the left you have a stop line (not a yield as some of these junctions have...).

Cycle past that junction most days. I must keep an eye out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am in a place that I have to get another car but I don't really like that option. I am seriously considering a battery powered bike or add on because I can't do a 62kms roundtrip in the middle of the winter everyday with the bike. The add-e looks like a decent option if you don't want to get a second bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Alek wrote: »
    Vittoria Ultralite 25-28, claimed weight: 85g

http://www.vittoria.com/accessories/road-accessory/

Arrived today, checked: 115g.

What kind of BS game you're playing Vittoria? :mad:

They stitched you up like a kipper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Next time you're approaching that junction from the Grand Canal Dock direction have a look at the surface of the track about 15 metres before the stop line- there's a sort of grid of black tar lines set into the tarmac, right beside a manhole cover on the footpath (map link: zoom right in on the centre of the streetview image). This is the sensor for the cycle traffic lights.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    Next time you're approaching that junction from the Grand Canal Dock direction have a look at the surface of the track about 15 metres before the stop line- there's a sort of grid of black tar lines set into the tarmac, right beside a manhole cover on the footpath (map link: zoom right in on the centre of the streetview image). This is the sensor for the cycle traffic lights.

Ah I see! However I have gotten stuck there twice at the line before (more as an experiment than anything!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Ah I see! However I have gotten stuck there twice at the line before (more as an experiment than anything!).

I never got stuck at that one. However, I seem to get stuck on Samuel Beckett bridge heading to Guild Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

pelevin wrote: »
    They stitched you up like a kipper.
    Well, he did get 115g of rubber for the price of 85g! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭G1032

The Telegraph Cycling Podcast had Sean Kelly as a guest in today's episode.
    Link below for anybody interested.

http://pca.st/0qq2

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,196 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Well, he did get 115g of rubber for the price of 85g! :)
    Not only that, but if he keeps them going a few years they may eventually reach 85g anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Holy freezing summer....
    'SATURDAY ... Partly cloudy, moderate north to northeast breezes, cool. Morning lows 2-5 C with isolated ground frost rural inland districts, and highs about 15 C north to 18 C south coast, 16-17 C east.

SUNDAY ... More frequent sunny intervals. Lows 1-4 C with scattered ground frost likely in rural areas, highs 15-18 C.'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

By janey the cold arrived suddenly. I booked a holiday in Iceland next week, looks like I may well be warmer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

koutoubia wrote: »
    Holy freezing summer....
    'SATURDAY ... Partly cloudy, moderate north to northeast breezes, cool. Morning lows 2-5 C with isolated ground frost rural inland districts, and highs about 15 C north to 18 C south coast, 16-17 C east.

SUNDAY ... More frequent sunny intervals. Lows 1-4 C with scattered ground frost likely in rural areas, highs 15-18 C.'

Since when is Sept in Summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This time last year the weather was great.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Since when is Sept in Summer?
    Never I suppose...but neither was June ,July or August this year.

By janey the cold arrived suddenly. I booked a holiday in Iceland next week, looks like I may well be warmer there.
    Well its deffo warmer in Lithunia and Latvia. In fact I think we may be possibly be the coldest place in Europe at the min.

Have some pride in your country ffs. It's probably lovely down in sunny Wexford. And that Darkglasses is fecking off to Iceland . . .
    They'll probably give him a medal or something. "You are the first person from Wexford to ever visit our shores. And is it really as sunny as they say it is there?"

Have some pride in your country ffs. It's probably lovely down in sunny Wexford. And that Darkglasses is fecking off to Iceland . . .
    They'll probably give him a medal or something. "You are the first person from Wexford to ever visit our shores. And is it really as sunny as they say it is there?"

It's just impossible to get a good puffin and herring dinner around here. What would you have me do?

It's just impossible to get a good puffin and herring dinner around here. What would you have me do?

Fair point I suppose. Have you tried Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I suspect PaterScone is tempted to N+1 to something lighter than his current Boardman team carbon with 10spd Tiagra and Zondas.

What would be a good direction to point him (if any) on a Sportivey bike?

He is mostly concerned about climbing (unduly so given his performance) but who am I to stand in the path of the N Force

I suspect PaterScone is tempted to N+1 to something lighter than his current Boardman team carbon with 10spd Tiagra and Zondas.

What would be a good direction to point him (if any) on a Sportivey bike?

He is mostly concerned about climbing (unduly so given his performance) but who am I to stand in the path of the N Force

Rough budget (which we will go over), what shops can he buy from, will he buy online?

Fair point I suppose. Have you tried Lidl?

They sell meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Rough budget (which we will go over), what shops can he buy from, will he buy online?

The clue to his possible intentions was a barrage of questions about the Boardman Pro Carbon.

So I'm guessing around €2500.

He's retired so no btw etc

• Advertisement

They sell meat?

They sell everything at one time or another. Except maybe beetroot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement