Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laid off without valid reason

Options
  • 11-03-2015 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

I have a friend that was just given one week notice and just wanted to know the legality of it.

The details are as follows:

Employment time: 10 months
    Industry: Retail
    Contract: Permanent
    Reason: HR decided that he was not needed
    Displinary: 1 written warning that he didnt accept no verbal warnings previous to this.

He was not the last person in his department with two other people coming in after him.

Is this a clear cut case of unfair dismissal or is there something else we should be looking at.

Any help here would be great apart from contacting CI or NERA.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Check out the work issues forum, but i would think he has no basis as he is only there 10 months and it will be in his contract specifying they can let him go with 1 weeks notice during that time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

cusackd wrote: »
    I have a friend that was just given one week notice and just wanted to know the legality of it.

The details are as follows:

Employment time: 10 months
    Industry: Retail
    Contract: Permanent
    Reason: HR decided that he was not needed
    Displinary: 1 written warning that he didnt accept no verbal warnings previous to this.

He was not the last person in his department with two other people coming in after him.

Is this a clear cut case of unfair dismissal or is there something else we should be looking at.

Any help here would be great apart from contacting CI or NERA.

Unfair dismissal etc doesn't apply for less than either one or two years
    the first year of employment you effectively have no rights so not much he can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Incidentally you can't 'not accept' a warning. You either appeal it and win or you have a warning.

Not very much he can do I'm afraid.

Seek proper legal advice from FLAC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I wonder if this is a certain national chain. Such dismissals are common in a particular chain at the moment. My friend was let go last week under similar circumstances and was the last of a batch made permanent this year to be let go, all their friends had had the same news in the past six weeks. If so the unions are involved and might be the first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Incidentally you can't 'not accept' a warning. You either appeal it and win or you have a warning.

Not very much he can do I'm afraid.

Seek proper legal advice from FLAC.

This right here. If the incident was serious enough to warrant a written warning, then the disciplinary procedure can bypass the verbal warning stage. Perhaps the behaviour that lead to the written warning continued?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Unfair dismissal cases can be taken at any time, but they are only enforceable if the person was employed for more than 1 year.

Advertisement