Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your least favourite beer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I just can't stand beer hipsters.

Not a fan of them either but dont let that get in your way of trying new things. You might have to try 10 or 20 of them before you get something you like but it will be worth it when you do find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

I've never really got the appeal of cask ale. Tastes nearly flat by the second time you pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Harp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I've never really got the appeal of cask ale. Tastes nearly flat by the second time you pick it up.

What about $10 shakes? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

I reckon he means that sitting there chin stoking and marvelling on some beer you picked from a menu that costs a few quid more than a pint of Heineken is really not worth it and is the height of pretentiousness.

Whenever I find myself in one of these places I try to go for a beer whose description most closely resembles a big name beer that I like. I don't like the places. Too many hipsters.

There's a real nasty trend on Boards right now, and perhaps in broader society, whereby anyone that expresses a deep interest in something is labelled a hipster. Don't get me wrong, hipsters do exist. You'll know them by their asymmetrical haircuts and emaciated bodies. But please allow people to dig beneath the surface and try something new, whether it's food & drink, music, cinema or whatever. We're not all hipsters. I'm certainly not a hipster. I'm an average guy from the Midlands that looks and sounds like an average guy from the Midlands. I just don't like **** beer. I also live on fcuk all money, so I'd rather spend €6.50 on a beer that tastes nice than waste €4.50 on one that doesn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I bought something called "O Hara's red Ale" (or something similar, definitely O Hara) when I was back in Ireland. I had high hopes, but it was really rank stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

osarusan wrote: »
    I bought something called "O Hara's red Ale" (or something similar, definitely O Hara) when I was back in Ireland. I had high hopes, but it was really rank stuff.

That's actually one of my favourites. :o

I don't like it out of the bottle though. Love it on draught.

I see you're in Tokyo. What would you drink over there? Is there any local stuff or is it the normal big names?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Two words for you.....orangi boom. F**k me its bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

ThirdMan wrote: »
    That's actually one of my favourites. :o

I don't like it out of the bottle though. Love it on draught.

I see you're in Tokyo. What would you drink over there? Is there any local stuff or is it the normal big names?
    Japanese have some strict brewing laws regarding what consititutes real beer. In Japan beer is taxed on malt content, so there are a huge number of varieties of 'almost beer' called happoshu. They are all pretty vile. Then the same companies also produce real beer, which is inoffensive light lager mainly. These companies are Kirin, Suntory, Sapporu, Ebisu, Asahi. Ebisu would have the best reputation, but there isn't much between them.

There are smaller breweries which produce a more expensive product, like Taisetsu Ji, Hitachino Nest, YonaYona ale, and one quite good one from Karuizawa, but like most other places, the big companies have the majority of the market.

here are some happoshu: http://www.beermonsters.ru/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/hap5.jpg

If you look at the bottom of the cans, you can see the word 'liqueur' in Japanese (リキュール). So,despite whatever else it might say on the can, it's officially not a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Two words for you.....orangi boom. F**k me its bad.
    agree 100% and Hackenberg is even worse !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Three way tie between Harp, Carlsberg and Heineken, all vile and I will drink anything from Bavaria to craft beer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I haven't found a beer I liked yet. I wish I could like the taste but it just makes me want to hurl.

There's a real nasty trend on Boards right now, and perhaps in broader society, whereby anyone that expresses a deep interest in something is labelled a hipster. Don't get me wrong, hipsters do exist. You'll know them by their asymmetrical haircuts and emaciated bodies. But please allow people to dig beneath the surface and try something new, whether it's food & drink, music, cinema or whatever. We're not all hipsters. I'm certainly not a hipster. I'm an average guy from the Midlands that looks and sounds like an average guy from the Midlands. I just don't like **** beer. I also live on fcuk all money, so I'd rather spend €6.50 on a beer that tastes nice than waste €4.50 on one that doesn't.
    Yes, exactly this. It's a word that gets thrown around so flippantly in Ireland that it's lost all meaning. Seems if you're at all enthusiastic or have a particular taste in something you're a hipster. It's a bit silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

John Smith's absolutely rotten stuff.

God I love it, on tap it's beautiful, goes down like Chinatown LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

If there's one thing worse than a hipster it's an enlightened hipster.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭MadMardegan

Tried this one particular beer at oxegen about 7 years ago, think it was called "Triple circle" or some such. The only thing I remember is the green/orange/gold can... had one mouthful and almost threw up... hands down the worst stuff I've tasted.

Also near the top of the list would be Harp.

Not even nice up North, where it's considered lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Shoelaces

Bavaria 8.6 back in the day. Pretty sure they got the next day leftover pints from rural function rooms and tinned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Was in a pub in Birmingham several years ago with my brothers and a few extended family members
    All they(seemed to) serve was Carling and some cider. After the first round, I said who's having another. In the first time in several generations, everyone said "No".
    Carling.... so bad it turns you tea-total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Corona or Tennents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Was in a pub in Birmingham several years ago with my brothers and a few extended family members
    All they(seemed to) serve was Carling and some cider. After the first round, I said who's having another. In the first time in several generations, everyone said "No".
    Carling.... so bad it turns you tea-total.

Strongbow was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Bud is pisswater. Just tastes like a weak chemical soup. However, Carlsberg Special Brew truly is the devil's piss.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 vellakare

I would'nt give Budweiser to a thirsty Saudi. Thats how highly I rate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tennants, no redeeming features whatsoever.

Smithwicks has gone to the dogs, pretty much undrinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Miller. Only because a few mouthfuls of the stuff gives me serious heart burn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Nail on the fcuking head. Trying anything that's not mainstream gets you labelled a hipster. What a sad, ordinary, humdrum life these people must lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

The beer in Spain is crap so my taste in beer has gotten worse since arriving. I'd genuinely drink any auld ****e at this stage. Never liked lager 'till I moved here and now I have no choice to drink and have had to acquire a taste for it.

Heineken is really awful beer though as is Bud. I'd still drink them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Brahma.

I know people complain about "flavoured horse piss" and all that, but this takes the ****ing biscuit.

I've never tasted such a weak, unsatisfying watery beer in all my life.

I've had over 500 different beers in my lifetime, and Brahma takes the top "****tiest beer" spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Galway Hooker is really very foul indeed. I'll drink most anything when drinking but it's just undrinkable to my palate.

I do not understand its popularity. I've tried it twice, in different pubs, to be sure but just reminds me of the old Kaliber.

Muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Galway Hooker is really very foul indeed. I'll drink most anything when drinking but it's just undrinkable to my palate.

I do not understand its popularity. I've tried it twice, in different pubs, to be sure but just reminds me of the old Kaliber.

Muck.

That's actually quite nice.

It's heavy on the hops, like most pale ales. The hops add an almost sour flavour when you go heavy on it.

Maybe you don't like hoppy beers? Have you had other pale ales?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

CruelCoin wrote: »

It's heavy on the hops, like most pale ales. The hops add an almost sour flavour when you go heavy on it.

I like IPAs in general but I find Galway Hooker to have a nameless unpleasant quality to it. Have had it loads of time just cant bring myself to like it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

CruelCoin wrote: »

I'm a fan of ales. Pale or otherwise. Like I say, I like beer and love variety. But the hooker is just not for me.

First had it in Galway about 6 years ago and thought it was an emperor's clothes thing.

Advertisement