Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Difference in TDI and TDI (with a red I)

• 25-03-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭

See this on different VW's, and wondering what difference the red 'I' means?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

It was supposed to mean the higher powered variant having the red I badge but with so many of them mis-badged either intentionally or unintentionally it's best to look under the carpet in the boot to see the KW rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Afaik, it means different power levels. Not sure about the ones with just the red "I" but the ones with the red "DI" have 130 bhp. I think now, don't bite my head off if I'm wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭denismc

I think it is to do with bhp, regular TDI is 90 or 105bhp, then red "I" is 110bhp, with red "DI" 130bhp.
    I may not have 100% right but i am sure someone will correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭dmc17

It can be compared to Audi S cars

TDI is just like an S4
    TDI is more like an RS4

:pac:

Source: DoneDeal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,252 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

dmc17 wrote: »

TDI is just like an S4
    TDI is more like an RS4

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

denismc wrote: »
    I think it is to do with bhp, regular TDI is 90 or 105bhp, then red "I" is 110bhp, with red "DI" 130bhp.

Probably dependant on car because Red DI is 170 on the Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

denismc wrote: »

that's right, and 140bhp have 7 gears too (including reverse)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,587 ✭✭✭tossy

dmc17 wrote: »

TDI is just like an S4
    TDI is more like an RS4

My 1.9 S3 is red I, it's a bheast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

As said it depends on the model and year. Taka a 01 mk4 golf for4 example.
    TDI =90bhp
    TDI = 110bhp
    TDI = 115bhp

But on a 02 The red di = 130bhp

On a 2.0tdi mk5 golf red I = 170bhp

Can get very confusing as dealers and drivers changed a lot of badges. The only real way to know the power output is via the engine code

Basically badges mean nothing. Irish people put far too much stead in badges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

It should be on your logbook or just go onto chill.ie(or motorcheck) and type in the reg, should tell you what bhp it is.

It should be on your logbook or just go onto chill.ie(or motorcheck) and type in the reg, should tell you what bhp it is.
    motorcheck is not showing a power output for my old bora

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭scottp68877

sean1141 wrote: »
    motorcheck is not showing a power output for my old bora
    Ok might of been wrong then. Did you try chill? Mine seems to come up fine but it might be cause it's 110. The log book might have it on it then

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭garclo

I drive a 1.6 vw caddy with the red i, it's 102bhp and fairly quick for a caddy. But it also has the "match" badge which was the limited edition wit the electric pack and leather seats but I got none of it........stupid badge! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

Some of the newer vw stuff to have red i even though there standard enough. The mk6 golf is red I if it's the 1.6tdi 105bhp which would have been standard power at one stage. But the mk6 was available with 90bhp 1.6tdi so that's non red I then. I suppose it's just to differentiate between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

What about the blue "I" on the transporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,924 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tossy wrote: »
    Basically badges mean nothing. Irish people put far too much stead in badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

The new clean common rail ones. The ones that would have Adblue added to clean up the emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Do they still have the colored badges? I thought the newer cars all had the chrome badges?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Current Passat 1.6Tdi 105ps is badged with a Red i, but it's just a Tdi badge.

2.0Tdi models are badged 2.0Tdi, and I'm pretty sure it's all chrome.

Opel are back to Black badges on the Insignia, to tell the difference between 140 and 163 variants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Blue I means its 2.5 but not intercooled. Its like the opposite of a red I. The blue I makes it slower (90bhp)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

On the older Mark 4 generation it was 90, 110 and 130 for chrome, red I and red DI respectively.

When the range went all PD things changed and I don't know about them.

Id take a guess at 100/105, 115, 130, 150 for chrome, red I, red DI and all red? Though all red could be a boy racer accessory shelf invention. Things got confusing with VE and PD models chugging around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

tossy wrote: »
    My 1.9 S3 is red I, it's a bheast

Some boooo out of her Laaad:rolleyes:

bbk wrote: »
    On the older Mark 4 generation it was 90, 110 and 130 for chrome, red I and red DI respectively.

When the range went all PD things changed and I don't know about them.

Id take a guess at 100/105, 115, 130, 150 for chrome, red I, red DI and all red? Though all red could be a boy racer accessory shelf invention. Things got confusing with VE and PD models chugging around the place.

The 130 was a pd engine. The 115 pd was released first and was badged with a red di and this changed to red I as the older 110 was phased out and the 130 pd was released.

There was an all red tdi which was on some of the 150 bhp

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭jd6920s

Easiest thing is to check engine code

• Registered Users Posts: 39 andrew1300r

sean1141 wrote: »
    As said it depends on the model and year. Taka a 01 mk4 golf for4 example.
    TDI =90bhp
    TDI = 110bhp
    TDI = 115bhp

But on a 02 The red di = 130bhp

On a 2.0tdi mk5 golf red I = 170bhp

Can get very confusing as dealers and drivers changed a lot of badges. The only real way to know the power output is via the engine code

02 tdi golfs were 105bhp..td ( with red i)
    02 tdi golfs 115bhp ... Red d&i 6 speed ( not sure but only uk imports ?)
    02 tdi golfs 130bhp..td ( red d & red I) 6 speed
    02 tdi golfs 150bhp...All red 6 speed ( rare car due to mad price when new )

All above were between 02 & 04
    All before 02 were older 90bhp & 110bhp units

The newer 105 & 130bhp units came in passat in 2001 onwards

jca wrote: »
    Some boooo out of her Laaad:rolleyes:

She Booos alright,straight pipe on her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Blue I means its 2.5 but not intercooled. Its like the opposite of a red I. The blue I makes it slower (90bhp)

img0189ch.jpg

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

On t4's all tdi's are 2.5's. They're modified audi AEL engines. Blue I(88hp) has no IC and single stage stanandyne injectors and are normally higher geared. Silver eye(102hp) have bosch injectors and a tmic. Red I's have a fmic bosch .216 injectors and a variable turbo and only come in long nose form. Like hen's teeth in ireland. I've never seen one. That's the jist of it anyway.

That's my van above. I'm only about 400 quid away from 150 - 160hp :).

• Advertisement

02 tdi golfs were 105bhp..td ( with red i)
    02 tdi golfs 115bhp ... Red d&i 6 speed ( not sure but only uk imports ?)
    02 tdi golfs 130bhp..td ( red d & red I) 6 speed
    02 tdi golfs 150bhp...All red 6 speed ( rare car due to mad price when new )

All above were between 02 & 04
    All before 02 were older 90bhp & 110bhp units

The newer 105 & 130bhp units came in passat in 2001 onwards
    There was never a 105bhp engine in the mk 4. It was only 100bhp and was badged all silver. Not all 115 were 6 speed although a lot of UK ones seemed to be

Advertisement