Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brain Drain [poem]

• 29-09-2013 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Any feedback appreciated :) Not sure about the title really, just the first thing that came to mind. Also, the first stanza doesn't follow the rhyme scheme of the rest of them. This wasn't by design, I just fell into the rhyme scheme from the second stanza onwards! :D I'm kinda inclined to leave it, because it's slightly different to the 'tirade/rant' that follows... or maybe this is just some post-hoc rationalisation that I'm engaging in because I'm too lazy to change it! :D Thoughts appreciated!

Thanks
    Brain Drain

A smokey room with flattened beer,
    And trays that overflow with butts;
    Degenerates debate the news
    With slurry speech; the stink of sweat,

The sight of spit shot from their mouths
    With every syllable they utter,
    Every grunt and thought they mutter;
    Enough to drive a man to shout

And scream until his lungs explode;
    To throw the ashtray at the screen
    That’s mounted so it must be seen
    And heard; creative thoughts erode;

The faculties under assault
    From putrid and insipid sounds
    And sights, but when I turn around
    With weary heart, my hand revolts:

I roll my tired eyes and then
    Loudly breath a plaintive sigh––
    Enough to catch the barman’s eye––
    Frown, and then pick up the pen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Dave! wrote: »
    Any feedback appreciated :) Not sure about the title really, just the first thing that came to mind. Also, the first stanza doesn't follow the rhyme scheme of the rest of them. This wasn't by design, I just fell into the rhyme scheme from the second stanza onwards! :D I'm kinda inclined to leave it, because it's slightly different to the 'tirade/rant' that follows... or maybe this is just some post-hoc rationalisation that I'm engaging in because I'm too lazy to change it! :D Thoughts appreciated!

Thanks
    This poem annoyed me - it has an air of superiority about it.

"Degenerates debate the news"

You seem to have a very negative view of pubs and the people who frequent them. I'm not sure I like the tone - it's very unforgiving and accusing. A very narrow minded view of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Great feedback. Except I wanted feedback on the poem, not on my personality! :p

Your interpretation of the poem isn't really correct anyway. It's not a commentary on pubs in general (I presume you've seen that I mod the 'Non Drinkers Group' and put 2 + 2 together; I do in fact drink, as much as anybody else - not sure how I ended up modding that forum!), just one particular scene set in one particular (fictional) pub.

And it's more about the narrator than it is about the others.

Thanks anyway. Maybe read it again without the preconceptions?

Great feedback. Except I wanted feedback on the poem, not on my personality! :p

Your interpretation of the poem isn't really correct anyway. It's not a commentary on pubs in general (I presume you've seen that I mod the 'Non Drinkers Group' and put 2 + 2 together; I do in fact drink, as much as anybody else - not sure how I ended up modding that forum!), just one particular scene set in one particular (fictional) pub.

And it's more about the narrator than it is about the others.

Thanks anyway. Maybe read it again without the preconceptions?

No - I didn't actually notice that at all. I just read the poem and straight away thought - what does he have against pubs?

Don't be so quick to accuse me having "preconceptions" because I absolutely did not. You asked for the poem to be critiqued, didn't you?

I would never judge a person by how much they drink (I'm not a teenager) - I don't drink much myself to be honest. I just got a real feeling of superiority from your poem. And that was from the narrator. obviously the poem is more about the narrator - it's his description of what is going on around him that led me to think what I did about him. And I presumed the narrator was you. Maybe it's not? I don't know - I can only interpret the poem as best I can. I can't read your mind.

Fair enough. Your original post came across as very hostile and was more a comment about me than about the poem - hence my reply.

Fair enough. Your original post came across as very hostile and was more a comment about me than about the poem - hence my reply.

Whatever...

• Advertisement

Anyone else got any thoughts? :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Anyone else got any thoughts? :)

I have a few thoughts about hcass' replies, but they'd probably get me banned from the forum...

Parts of the poem confused me a bit. Is it set in the 1980s or the modern era? The "brain drain" label is back in fashion, but the smokey room doesn't fit with the smoking ban and the big screen on the wall doesn't fit with the 80s pub scene.

A re-write of the first verse could give you a chance to remove that ambiguity, and would let you tie it in with the rhyming scheme of the other four verses (which I thought were quite good!)

I was thinking along the lines of Tom Waits :) So I guess the 80s in a bar in Murricaww.

This is not in a bar, but...

hmmm, I wasn't thinking a "big screen", but rather a small one in the corner, which can't be avoided if you're sitting at the bar.

You're right, I'll have to revisit it

Advertisement