Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contacting a journo

• 10-10-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I want to contact a journalist whom I admire, but I don't know how to go about it. I am hesitant to contact the publication they work for directly as I imagine they don't like handing out contact information, even if it is just a work email (perhaps I'm wrong here ...).

Sometimes under articles an email address for the person who wrote it, but I can't find it. Any tips??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Most journalists want to be contacted. They operate by building up contacts. It helps if you can give them even a snippet of information that might be of use to them. Leave a message where they work, try Facebook and Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

If they write for a particular publication, it's often easy enough to figure out their email address. A lot of places go by firstname.secondname@workplace.ie or something similar. If you can know any of their employees emails, you can usually work out the form they use and try contacting your journalist that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

echo beach wrote: »
    Most journalists want to be contacted. They operate by building up contacts. It helps if you can give them even a snippet of information that might be of use to them. Leave a message where they work, try Facebook and Twitter.

They are more a features writer, not an investigative journalist in a traditional sense, and I doubt any information I know would be of great use to them. But thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Most journalists love being contacted. Ring the paper and ask them to put you through to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭dazey

EileenG wrote: »
    Most journalists love being contacted. Ring the paper and ask them to put you through to them.

Yea. They are an occasional features writer, and there appearances in the paper have become more infrequent. I can't imagine they sit at a desk. But this seems like the best route, calling the publication. I'm sure journalists regularly get people fawning over them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

dazey wrote: »
    Yea. They are an occasional features writer, and there appearances in the paper have become more infrequent. I can't imagine they sit at a desk. But this seems like the best route, calling the publication. I'm sure journalists regularly get people fawning over them

No, they are regular journalists.

Where do you think most stories come from? Journalists are not out pounding the streets, hoping to come across an armed robbery. They sit at a desk and ring people back.

No, journos don't get many people fawning. They do get a lot of people ringing up to say, "I think your paper should so a story about..."

Advertisement