Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I smell petrol!!

Options
  • 30-09-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

What could it be??

Today while driving along I had the window down and after a while I started to smell petrol. It was fairly strong at one point but later you could still occasionally smell it faintly...
    Also the fuel gauge was heading towards empty faster than it normally does...

Looking under the car and around the engine I couldn't spot any visible leaks...

What do you think it could be? Should I be worried?? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,126 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it was just first thing after starting its normal and nothing to worry about but if its after the car has warmed up to normal temperature I would get it looked at asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What could it be??

Today while driving along I had the window down and after a while I started to smell petrol. It was fairly strong at one point but later you could still occasionally smell it faintly...
    Also the fuel gauge was heading towards empty faster than it normally does...

Looking under the car and around the engine I couldn't spot any visible leaks...

What do you think it could be? Should I be worried?? :(
    Find an empty field and bring a box of matches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Hows the timing?

You might not be burning all the fuel maybe and your smelling it from the exhaust.

You hardly have a leak from the fuel line around the engine anywhere?

What are the sparks like?

Alternatively as TestTransmission said the matches might not be a bad idea for the puma at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I got the timing belt done at the ford dealer before the summer (yes rip off but I didn't know any good mechanics back then). The engine doesn't sound like its timing is off but it's certainly got a lot more sluggish...

I can't see any leaks right now.

Do anyone of you know of a good mechanic/garage where I could get this looked at?

And matchbox is not an option. Car's still running so it's still got some life left in it.
    Maybe next summer I'll sell it for something in a better condition... But till then i need this to keep going...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Can you tell where the smell is coming from?

Is it the exhaust or elsewhere?

If its sluggish try changing the sparks, it may be the source of your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

ford_puma.jpg

+

matches.jpg

+

frontrunner_green_jerry.jpg

=

s

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ken2010

get a lighter and have another look under the car:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Do you notice black soot from exhaust? If so your air meter could be disconnected or broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

It's Sex Puma.

60% of the time, it works....all the time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Enough of that lads, back on topic please.

• Advertisement

If it was just first thing after starting its normal and nothing to worry about but if its after the car has warmed up to normal temperature I would get it looked at asap.

I've never encountered a fuel injected car that had a rank of petrol off, he's smelling the petrol while he is sitting in the driver's seat and the car is in motion.

Mr Fragile, please get the car inspected asap by someone who knows what they are doing, you may well have a fuel leak, until the car is confirmed to be ok I would treat it as a hand grenade with the pin half out. This is potentially very very dangerous.

I'm all for a bit of craic and sh1t stirring but please do get it checked out and don't dream of smoking anywhere near the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Junk it OP, it's caused you a lot of hassle and expense for no return. It's the first seriously unreliable Ford I've encountered in fact. Must've been ragged to the point of extinction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

well, I don't smoke... But yeah, I'll try to get it checked this weekend...
    Anyone know a good place I could get it checked?
    All the places I've been to lately have been really lousy. Like they look around the car and say "she's grand"...
    First smelt it very strongly when I was driving it a while, the engine was warmed up and all.
    PaulKK wrote: »
    Can you tell where the smell is coming from?

Is it the exhaust or elsewhere?

If its sluggish try changing the sparks, it may be the source of your problem.
    Tried smelling around the car when I got home and parked it, couldn't smell the petrol then. I got the smell when I was driving around so hard to tell where exactly it was coming from.

CarMuppet wrote: »
    Do you notice black soot from exhaust? If so your air meter could be disconnected or broken.
    The exhaust is very sooty. Its like a diesel if not worse. It has sort of always been like that since I got the car. The engine has been sluggish as well. Was planning on cleaning the throttle body and MAF this weeked.
    ottostreet wrote: »
    It's Sex Puma.

60% of the time, it works....all the time.
    Nice one!

Though my Puma works all the time (except for when its slave cylinder went), it just doesn't work 100% but it works... Which is why I've named it the Black Knight! (Its a black puma...)

And I really can't afford buying another car till next summer atleast. So I need to keep the Puma running till then. Preferably keep it till the engine ceases then sell it as parts...

Advertisement