Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath GAA discussion thread

• 12-03-2012 10:35am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Well Galway has a thread, Mayo has one, even Cavan has one so why not us?

Two one point defeats in a row means we're back into relegation trouble especially if we lose to Derry next week. Having said that, beat Derry next week and promotion is still a (remote) possibility. Joe Sheridan leaving for the States certainly isn't going to help.
    Thought the performance yesterday was easily the worst of the league. Our away form is killing us still.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Joe Sheridan leaving for the States certainly isn't going to help.
    Is he going to the NFL with his throwing skills in great demand? :D

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I think Meath look a much better proposition under Banty in year 2 and I was quietly impressed with how they went against Kildare and probably should have won the game.

It is fairly likely that you'll get a semi final place and if you can avoid Tyrone and get into the final, you could be playing Division 1 ball next year. Would much rather you guys get promoted than Kildare that's for sure!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

dcr22B wrote: »

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I think Meath look a much better proposition under Banty in year 2 and I was quietly impressed with how they went against Kildare and probably should have won the game.

It is fairly likely that you'll get a semi final place and if you can avoid Tyrone and get into the final, you could be playing Division 1 ball next year. Would much rather you guys get promoted than Kildare that's for sure!
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there are no semi finals for Division 2 and below. Only the top two get promoted.
    But you're right, we do look better this year than last, but there are still a lot of issues to work on. We still look very unfit and unable to last the full 70 minutes of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

dcr22B wrote: »

Sorry, couldn't resist!

What are you talking about avoid Tyrone? It's a league. They have to play them. Also whats a semi final place?

To Alcohol wrote: »
    What are you talking about avoid Tyrone? It's a league. They have to play them. Also whats a semi final place?
    Top 4 in division 1 go into the semi finals. They were thinking of doing the same for all divisions but decided against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure there are no semi finals for Division 2 and below. Only the top two get promoted.

Sorry you're right there about only Division 1 having semi finals.

@ To Alcohol, I meant avoid Tyrone in the semi finals if there had been any. I know they have to play them during the regular season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The display against Galway was hugely disappointing especially after what I thought was a decent display against Kildare in which we were unlucky to lose out in the end.

And with the two early wins it was looking good but the game yesterday had a back to square 1 feeling about it :(

I don't think Joe Sheridan will be all that much of a loss, he is a decent player but never struck me as being always there when he's on the pitch.

After a promising start things don't look quite as good now!

draffodx wrote: »
    The display against Galway was hugely disappointing especially after what I thought was a decent display against Kildare in which we were unlucky to lose out in the end.

And with the two early wins it was looking good but the game yesterday had a back to square 1 feeling about it :(

I don't think Joe Sheridan will be all that much of a loss, he is a decent player but never struck me as being always there when he's on the pitch.

After a promising start things don't look quite as good now!
    I don't know, when he's on form he can be unplayable and it certainly gives us an extra outlet when he's on the field. One thing I noticed from yesterday was countless long and high balls played in on top of Ward and Gilsenan, neither of whom has a hope of competing for them.
    The two losses were very disappointing alright. We could have easily won both and been 4 points ahead of 3rd and in cruise control for promotion. Instead, we could be in serious relegation trouble again should we lose to Derry.
    Having said that, promotion certainly isn't out of the question. Tyrone seem to be the only team firing on all cylinders at the moment. Everyone else seems to be stuttering so 2nd spot could go to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

We really should be beating Derry and Louth at home, not sure if that would be enough for promotion though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

yay a meath thread i can ease off hog****and now.we need to win on sunday without a doubt, weve left two close games behind us the last two weeks and the lads need to learn how to close these games out from here on.having said that if wardy was on the frees we couldve got something out of both games stephen bray is not a free taker

Yeah I was very confused that Bray continued to take the frees despite being hit and miss and Cian nailing two difficult 45s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Anyone know what club Sheridan has joined in Boston?

And outside of "construction", I haven't heard his actual profession....what does he do exacly?

I've heard he's joining McAnespies but I'm not sure. No idea what exactly he does.

great result for the pats in the A league the other night beat o'mahoneys 3-8 to 0-10.didnt make the game but we seem to be out of the blocks very quick this year

Very good result alright. Wonder is it going to be another season of underachievement for O'Mahoney's.
    We (Ratoath) seem to be in a similar position after easily beating Clann na nGael. Really have to get out of the wasteland that is the Junior championship this season. Have a great young team with several ex county minors but we just can't produce when it matters. Hopefully the fact that both Junior finalists get promoted this season will help us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Well Galway has a thread, Mayo has one, even Cavan has one so why not us?

Two one point defeats in a row means we're back into relegation trouble especially if we lose to Derry next week. Having said that, beat Derry next week and promotion is still a (remote) possibility. Joe Sheridan leaving for the States certainly isn't going to help.
    Thought the performance yesterday was easily the worst of the league. Our away form is killing us still.

hehe. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

Shocking performance and a poor crowd. We looked clueless and the management team didn't know what to do.

Absolute disgrace alright. Very much back in the relegation scrap especially seeing as a loss next Saturday is almost guaranteed. Hit 15 wides supposedly. I'm beginning to think a trip down to division 3 wouldn't be all that bad for us. It seems that's our level now.

And I too was very surprised with the crowd. Pretty sure more turned up for all 3 O'Byrne Cup games in January.
    But I'll make the trip to Omagh next Saturday. Glutton for punishment I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Absolute disgrace alright. Very much back in the relegation scrap especially seeing as a loss next Saturday is almost guaranteed.
    You may be lucky in that there is a chance Tyrone may give their fringe players a game against your lot. They are pretty much guaranteed to finish top no matter what happens from here on in so Harte may take the last two games to check out his fringe players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Royal Seahawk

Pighead wrote: »
    You may be lucky in that there is a chance Tyrone may give their fringe players a game against your lot. They are pretty much guaranteed to finish top no matter what happens from here on in so Harte may take the last two games to check out his fringe players.

To be honest I'd still fancy Tyrone's fringe players to beat this current Meath side, we're beyond useless at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

To be honest I'd still fancy Tyrone's fringe players to beat this current Meath side, we're beyond useless at the moment.

Firstly whether we pick up this year or not, I am and never would be in favour of an outside manager, and I watched enough of his previous team to see that his tactics were negative and anti football, the Meath managers job is a Meathmans position, always has, always will be.

Secondly, going back to an old chesnut of mine, we have issues with the development of football within the county, we have gone backwards. One problem that existed a few years ago was the division of the boards. I remember a few years ago we had a decent panel of talented players at u14 level, but when they got to minor, the minor board took over and put their own man in charge, much to the detriment of that particular bunch of players.

I am out of the county a good while, but i keep upto date with what is happening and go to as many league and championship matches as possible, its disappointing that after our previous success we seem to have took the eye of the ball and slipped backwards.

• Advertisement

While I'm not Banty's biggest fan I don't really hold him responsible for the last few results. The players aren't there at the moment, simple as that, not much a manager can do about that.

While I'm not Banty's biggest fan I don't really hold him responsible for the last few results. The players aren't there at the moment, simple as that, not much a manager can do about that.
    Personally, I would hold him largely responsible. A lot of this team won the Leinster in 2010 (yes they did) and got to an All Ireland semi in 2009. I'm not saying they're world beaters or anything, but they certainly should be good enough to beat Galway and a Derry team crippled with injuries.

The system he is getting the team to play is ludicrous. Too much short, lateral handpassing without going anywhere. And how long does he have to play a two man full forward line to realise it's not working? At one stage when we were attacking on Sunday, Gilsenan and Ward were inside the 21 and there was no other Meath player between them and Derry's 65. Acres of space available but no one in it. This wasn't just apparent during the Derry game, it's happened in every game this year.
    Secondly, going back to an old chesnut of mine, we have issues with the development of football within the county, we have gone backwards. One problem that existed a few years ago was the division of the boards. I remember a few years ago we had a decent panel of talented players at u14 level, but when they got to minor, the minor board took over and put their own man in charge, much to the detriment of that particular bunch of players
    Think you've hit the nail on the head with that. Haven't been in a Minor All Ireland final since 2002 and U21's have barely won a game recently. I think a lot of the problem is that the same guys have been in charge in the County Board for donkey's years. It really needs to be freshened up with some young blood and new ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Personally, I would hold him largely responsible. A lot of this team won the Leinster in 2010 (yes they did) and got to an All Ireland semi in 2009. I'm not saying they're world beaters or anything, but they certainly should be good enough to beat Galway and a Derry team crippled with injuries.

The system he is getting the team to play is ludicrous. Too much short, lateral handpassing without going anywhere. And how long does he have to play a two man full forward line to realise it's not working? At one stage when we were attacking on Sunday, Gilsenan and Ward were inside the 21 and there was no other Meath player between them and Derry's 65. Acres of space available but no one in it. This wasn't just apparent during the Derry game, it's happened in every game this year.

Think you've hit the nail on the head with that. Haven't been in a Minor All Ireland final since 2002 and U21's have barely won a game recently. I think a lot of the problem is that the same guys have been in charge in the County Board for donkey's years. It really needs to be freshened up with some young blood and new ideas.

We are a footballing county with a proud tradition, and our previous successes are not that old. Between 86 and 2001 we had a championship record comparible to Kerry, we went through a lull in the early 90's and looking back, people should have put more faith in Sean Boylan to turn it around. I also think that Boylan's comment about the back door system was also 100% accurate, in that it creates an air of, well we can afford to lose one match and still be in the championship. The back door has not suited Meath.
    In years gone by we were able to peak for a Leinster final and then put all our effort into an All Ireland Semi final and final. We always turned into a different animal when we got to the semi finals.
    If we are not careful, we could go the way of Cavan and be remisising about All Irelands from 60 years ago

Cian Ward got plenty of supply against Galway and did nothing with it. Easy balls slipping through his hands isn't Banty's fault. Yeah, we got to a semi final in 2009 but we got a handy run through the qualifiers before we beat Mayo thanks in part to an excellent performance by David Bray who is currently injured. We have no decent midfielders in the county since Cindy retired. Mark Ward is on the panel now SEVEN years and I can't think of a game which he grabbed by the scruff of the neck. It's actually embarrassing watching Meath at midfield these days.

Of course Banty as manager will be seen as partly responsible for our recent terrible performances but I'm not buying into the theory that the entire buck stops with him. Our players aren't of the ability we're used to seeing from Meath teams in the past and that is something that even the most ardent anti-Banty campaigner has to accept.

Cian Ward got plenty of supply against Galway and did nothing with it. Easy balls slipping through his hands isn't Banty's fault. Yeah, we got to a semi final in 2009 but we got a handy run through the qualifiers before we beat Mayo thanks in part to an excellent performance by David Bray who is currently injured. We have no decent midfielders in the county since Cindy retired. Mark Ward is on the panel now SEVEN years and I can't think of a game which he grabbed by the scruff of the neck. It's actually embarrassing watching Meath at midfield these days.

Of course Banty as manager will be seen as partly responsible for our recent terrible performances but I'm not buying into the theory that the entire buck stops with him. Our players aren't of the ability we're used to seeing from Meath teams in the past and that is something that even the most ardent anti-Banty campaigner has to accept.
    I disagree that Ward got lots of support against Galway. It's been him and Gilsenan in the full forward line for the entire league. Again, like against Derry at the weekend, balls were played up to both Ward and Gilsenan and there were no other Meath players within 30 or 40 yards. This is the problem with the two wing forwards playing in defence and Stephen Bray roaming all over the pitch. There were always 2 or 3 extra defenders on hand to cover both forwards which made it extremely difficult for them do do anything. And to be fair on Cian Ward, he was the only forward to score a point from play against Galway.

No I don't think it's entirely Banty's fault, the players have to take responsibility as well (especially for the 15 wides they hit on Sunday) and only a complete and utter eejit would suggest our players are anywhere near the levels of our past teams. However, like I said, I do feel we have the ability to beat Galway and a crippled Derry side but the system of football (if you could call it that) the manager is playing at the moment makes it so much more difficult.

lads as has been said weve won nothing at underage for years and the mentality is not there with lads coming through to the senior team.add that to the fact that the way the championships are run in the county, which i reckon takes the competitive edge off them and thats why were gone to pot.were years away from where we all want to be if ya ask me

Team for tomorrow:
    David Gallagher
    Mickey Burke
    Kevin Reilly
    Caoimhin King
    Shane McAnarney
    Bryan Menton
    Donnacha Tobin
    Tom Walsh
    Mark Ward
    Seamus Kenny
    Stephen Bray
    Graham Reilly
    Paddy Gilsenan
    Jamie Queeney
    Cian Ward.

Think it's a good idea to put Bray on the 45 with Queeney as a target man up front. Hopefully, Jamie will be able to knock a few balls down to Ward and Gilsenan running off him. Certainly we should be able to compete for high balls better than we did the last few games.
    Still not confident but maybe they'll surprise us with a good display.

Yeah, looks like he's abandoning the two man full forward line by starting Queeney. Should be interesting.

It's been a long time since I've been so lethargic heading to an away game. If I'd been to Omagh before I probably wouldn't go. Can't see us getting anything out of this meaning the game against Louth will decide whether we stay up or go down.

• Advertisement

It's been a long time since I've been so lethargic heading to an away game. If I'd been to Omagh before I probably wouldn't go. Can't see us getting anything out of this meaning the game against Louth will decide whether we stay up or go down.

yeah not going myself cos the missus is working this evening and i dont want to stick my mother with the kids when she minds them all week but ive no confidence in them at all going up there now, tyrone are flying this year.our only hope is they rest a few now theyve qualified for the final!

Advertisement