Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 InkDispatch

mayo_lad wrote: »
    mayo team announced two changes to the team from roscommon , with ger cafferkey and enda varley coming into the team

here's a link to the team http://mayogaablog.com/
    Was expecting Cafferkey and maybe even McGarrity (and he should if fit)to start but I didnt think that he would drop Doherty - big goal threat gone there in the wide open spaces of croker??

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Whitehorse

Unfortunately for the two young lads I think the changes were on the cards after the Roscommon match. Young Feeney is a great defender but doesnt have the brute strength yet for full back. Did think he might be more suited to the speedy Cork forwards. Doherty has been poor in the last three matches so would have been hard to start him again. Hopefully he gets a good run out the next day when the match is still in the balance with 10mins to go! Hopefully a good few travel up on Sunday cause you never know what might happen.
    ( I did put a sneaky fiver on Mayo to win by 2points at 22-1) Sounds crazier when I actually write it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Was expecting Cafferkey and maybe even McGarrity (and he should if fit)to start but I didnt think that he would drop Doherty - big goal threat gone there in the wide open spaces of croker??
    Yeah, Doherty might be a bit of a strange one, but he's been pretty anonymous in the Championship so far. Could be that the defenders have paid too much attention, but could be a good half time sub if there are issues in the forward line that need adjusting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

lukin wrote: »
    Cork supporter here, I think this will be a closer game than people think, I'd be happy with a one point win. Mayo haven't beaten us for a long time and will be bigger underdogs than ever for this one but they have to beat us some time so it's by now means a foregone conclusion.
    We have no left-footed freetaker now that Goulding is out and we don't have much to call on from the bench. Mayo could very well cause an upset, ye'll never have a better chance of beating us.
    Hate to say "I told you so" but I was worried about this beforehand and sadly my fears were realised.Well done to Mayo,thoroughly deserved.I think the loss of Goulding and Sheehan was massive but Mayo took full advantage and credit to them for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well I certainly didn't see todays performance coming, both from Cork and from Mayo.
    The better team won and Cork can have no complaints whatsoever. Mayo - after a poor start, certainly settled down and thoroughly deserved their win. I predicted a handy win Cork and possibly even more - quite the opposite was true today.
    Again, congrats to Mayo, ye deserved the win and I sincerely hope ye can carry that type of form into the semis!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

James Horan's half time team talk has been leaked....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

From a Corkman well done and congratulations to Mayo on their fine win yesterday. Had a feeling that this game would be a tough one for Cork and so it proved to be with Mayo well deserving winners.

I met a number of young Mayo fans yesterday evening in Heuston station and may I say they were a fine sporting bunch of lads and a credit to their county and GAA fans eveywhere. I wish ye all the best in the semi final and I hope ye turn the form book upside down again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Well guys, what do we think of this? It's nice to see some positive headlines being printed today. Much is being made of the fact that Cork scored only one point in the 2nd half. Credit must go to the Mayo defence but we cannot forget that Cork were missing three forwards. That's a big loss for any team, even one with a panel as strong as Cork's. Still, the fact that we managed to keep their attack under pressure without persistent fouling is a hugely encouraging sign. Similar tactics were used to keep Donie Shine from free-taking opportunities. Keith Higgins and Richie Feeney seemed to forget they were backs at times, Higgins even managed to grab a point!

Horan was very astute in his usage of subs. I can see Doherty being used as an impact sub from here-on-end. His point was crucial. McGarrity and Gardiner energised the team when they came on. It's great to be able to draw on experience like that from the bench when the chips are down.

I think the two major questions that were hanging over the Mayo team throughout the year, that of the lack of leadership and lack of freetakers has been answered over the past two games.

Bring on the Kingdom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

teednab-el wrote: »
    Cork to win. Expect Mayo to put it up to us though and I hope they do, would be good for both teams

Congrats Mayo fans here on your win, I kind of expected that you would put it up to us and you sure did.

Didnt expect Cork to loose but who did before yesterday. Best of Luck against Kerry, hope you can upset all the odds again. It will be hard but nothing is impossible.

Does anybody know if the Mayo team was announced yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

not offically yet still waiting on the fitness of Trevor Mortimer and gardneir for what iam hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,988 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    not offically yet still waiting on the fitness of Trevor Mortimer and gardneir for what iam hearing

Is it a bad thing that they are holding out for Mortimer to be fit ?.

Is this going to be like the 1997 final where Maughan played Flannagan when he was not 100% and end up coming off after 10 mins or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

i dont think so horan is a hell of a better manager than maughan will ever be.horan makes the right subs at the right time and is very good at tactics

i dont think so horan is a hell of a better manager than maughan will ever be.horan makes the right subs at the right time and is very good at tactics
    I have to agree with you - and i am no trevor mortimer fan - but he is playing the best football of his career this year!! And yes horan does seem to be getting it right so far with the subs, so here is hoping that he gets it right this sunday...:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Mayo team named for sunday,

The Mayo Senior Football team to take on Kerry this Sunday in the All-Ireland Senior Football Semi-Final in Croke Park is as follows:
    1) Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    6) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7) Trevor Mortimer - Shrule-Glencorrib
    8) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    9) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    12) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    13) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    14) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    16) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17) Alan Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    18) Dermot Geraghty - Shrule-Glencorrib
    19) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    20) Lee Keegan - Westport
    21) James Kilcullen - Ballaghaderreen
    22) Ronan McGarrity - Ballina Stephenites
    23) Peadar Gardiner - Crossmolina
    24) Aidan Campbell - Swinford
    25) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    26) Mark Ronaldson - Shrule-Glencorrib

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Mayo team named for sunday,

The Mayo Senior Football team to take on Kerry this Sunday in the All-Ireland Senior Football Semi-Final in Croke Park is as follows:
    1) Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2) Tom Cunniffe - Castlebar Mitchels
    3) Ger Cafferkey - Ballina Stephenites
    4) Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5) Richie Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    6) Donal Vaughan - Ballinrobe
    7) Trevor Mortimer - Shrule-Glencorrib
    8) Aidan O'Shea - Breaffy
    9) Seamus O'Shea - Breaffy
    10) Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11) Alan Dillon - Ballintubber
    12) Andy Moran - Ballaghaderreen
    13) Enda Varley - Garrymore
    14) Alan Freeman - Aghamore
    15) Cillian O'Connor - Ballintubber
    16) Kenneth O'Malley - Ballinrobe
    17) Alan Feeney - Castlebar Mitchels
    18) Dermot Geraghty - Shrule-Glencorrib
    19) Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    20) Lee Keegan - Westport
    21) James Kilcullen - Ballaghaderreen
    22) Ronan McGarrity - Ballina Stephenites
    23) Peadar Gardiner - Crossmolina
    24) Aidan Campbell - Swinford
    25) Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    26) Mark Ronaldson - Shrule-Glencorrib

Good to see dat Mayo have stuck with the same team and I actually think that we might just do it on Sunday??:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭big toenails

Really hope you do it tomorrow. This is a great Mayo side, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Agreed, McGarrity, Gardiner and Doherty were brought on at just the right time in the QF, they really gave the team a boost. I have a feeling he will be making changes at half-time though as Kerry are going to run us into the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I hope ye don't paint all Kerry fans with the same brush based on the idiocy of the above post lads...

Hard luck today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

Hard luck Mayo it was a bridge to far this year who knows what will happen next year, at least you got to play in a semi and that's no mean feat. Mayo and Waterford my county are always compared in that we get so far and then we seem to take our eye off the ball. Keep the spirits up never lose belief someday our stars will shine and ignore the knockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

teednab-el wrote: »
    You clearly have an issue with Mayo.

Cleary has issues with himself,his posts say more about him that about Mayo!

milehip1 wrote: »
    Cleary has issues with himself,his posts say more about him that about Mayo!

ha! no, no issues with myself, just enjoying ye getting a good beating in the end, plenty of ye were gloating when ye had your win over a depleted Cork side, if ye cant take it dont dish it out in the first place.

Today ye were shown up for what ye are, toothless when up against a fully fit Kerry team, i could say the usual bull**** like well done, good spirited effort but im delighted ye lost and I had the added benefit of winning good money off your loss today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Barlett

leonidas83 wrote: »
    ha! no, no issues with myself, just enjoying ye getting a good beating in the end, plenty of ye were gloating when ye had your win over a depleted Cork side, if ye cant take it dont dish it out in the first place.

Today ye were shown up for what ye are, toothless when up against a fully fit Kerry team, i could say the usual bull**** like well done, good spirited effort but im delighted ye lost and I had the added benefit of winning good money off your loss today.

Throw enough mud at the wall in gambling and somethings going to stick...although you would want to have been betting a serious amount of money on a Kerry win to make it worth your while considering the odds they were at. You act as if its a massive shock that Kerry won...you're obviously not from either Cork or Kerry.

Barlett wrote: »
    Throw enough mud at the wall in gambling and somethings going to stick...although you would want to have been betting a serious amount of money on a Kerry win to make it worth your while considering the odds they were at. You act as if its a massive shock that Kerry won...you're obviously not from either Cork or Kerry.

Have won good money on GAA this year, thanks for the consideration, and yes i bet alot on Kerry today, some of your other Mayo supporters on here could tell you more about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭milehip1

Don't feed the troll! Which is what the spitefull Limerick loser is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Barlett

Ah...he's the guy from Limerick...I remember him now...a very strange individual...it's not healthy to have so much hate for one county.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

leonidas83 wrote: »

Can't understand this hatred I'm a Waterford man who had a Kerry father and would love to see Mayo win an All Ireland. What a beautiful county though

milehip1 wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll! Which is what the spitefull Limerick loser is!

the only losers around here are ye boys, your pathetic, I'm absolutely delighted ye were not only knocked out but hammered, shown up for what ye really are, ive been laughing at ye all day since the result and enjoying my winnings, come back to me when your actually mediocre at another sport but I could be waiting a long time.

p.s. i dont consider ye a relative enough county to be even bothered about let alone obsessed with

• Advertisement

Ah...he's the guy from Limerick...I remember him now...a very strange individual...it's not healthy to have so much hate for one county.

oh and well done for putting one and one together, yes i did put serious money on kerry winning today, I knew ye would **** up in the end.

Just to clarify aswell, I have no hate for Mayo county but the twats i have encountered on here have encouraged me to bask in this glory this evening, I enjoy delusional arrogant fans getting a reality check in the end. Bye bye for another year and good luck on beating London if ye come up against them next year, my money will be on them tho:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement