Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Wow this is dreadful

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

No positives to take from such a woeful performance.

People can say that league doesn't matter, it's all about the team that lines out in the championship....if a team plays that badly they haven't a hope in hell come championship time.
    Galway were all over the shop. Absolutely diabolical the whole way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

First half was good, unlucky to go in behind against a breeze. Second half was woeful. A lot of new players and experimenting going on, I wouldn't read too much into it. I'm disappointed, but not overly so. There's more important days ahead, and to my mind we only had 6/7 starters max playing there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Was impressed with the lads at half time, thought they were unlucky to be going in down. Was screaming at Burke (?? - no. 2) to close that Mayo lad down for the first goal. Thought Concannon was terrible when he came on, showed no work rate and offered very little overall. Shouldn't be too siappoints though, as Hulk Hands stated above we had only max. 7 starters out there today. Expected to get mullered anyways, Mayo are generally good in the league. Perhaps it may not be the worst of things if we get relegated, might give the lads the kick up the hole needed for the Championship. In the last few seasons anyways we've done well in the League and we all know how we've preformed in the subsequent Championships.

• Advertisement

Lads you're clutching at straws there. We can't go out into championship and expect to turn it on like a tap after playing like that.
    Team needs to have some shape or cohesion.
    Realistically, who's to come back that will improve the team? Padraig Joyce, Michael Meehan, Gareth Bradshaw, possibly Blake if Hanley switches back.
    Nickey Joyce is very doubtful, forget Damien Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

dartsfan wrote: »
    Lads you're clutching at straws there. We can't go out into championship and expect to turn it on like a tap after playing like that.
    Realistically, who's to come back that will improve the team? Padraig Joyce, Michael Meehan, Gareth Bradshaw, possibly Blake if Hanley switches back.

But they're basically our 3 best players. I would still hold out some hope on Nicky once Padraig is back in the fray full time. I don't know why your discounting Damien Burke, has he pulled out or something?

If we went into the championship with something along these lines I would be fairly confident of decent competitive performances if not a Connacht championship.

Faherty

----D.Burke
    F.Hanley
    C.Forde.......
    ----A.Burke
    D.Blake
    G.O'Donnell...

....................P.Conroy.............J.Bergin..............G.Bradshaw...............

....G.Sice.............................S.Armstrong......................C.Bane..............
    ........................M.Meehan.............................P.Joyce...........................

With players like D.Mullahy, M.Clancy, E.Concannon, B.Cullinane, K.Brady and N.Coyne all there or thereabouts to come in if the above are underperforming or injured. Possibly there are better options for the cornor back slots, but I can't think of any atm

We should give Finian Hanley a run out the middle of the field, from what I hear he's dying to play further out. The only problem then would be FB.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    But they're basically our 3 best players. I would still hold out some hope on Nicky once Padraig is back in the fray full time. I don't know why your discounting Damien Burke, has he pulled out or something?

If we went into the championship with something along these lines I would be fairly confident of decent competitive performances if not a Connacht championship.

Faherty

----D.Burke
    F.Hanley
    C.Forde.......
    ----A.Burke
    D.Blake
    G.O'Donnell...

....................P.Conroy.............J.Bergin..............G.Bradshaw...............

....G.Sice.............................S.Armstrong......................C.Bane..............
    ........................M.Meehan.............................P.Joyce...........................

With players like D.Mullahy, M.Clancy, E.Concannon, B.Cullinane, K.Brady and N.Coyne all there or thereabouts to come in if the above are underperforming or injured. Possibly there are better options for the cornor back slots, but I can't think of any atm

I had heard he was unlikely to come back, maybe just a rumour. To be honest, I think it's time to try new faces ahead of him as he fouls way too much, and we need a more disciplined back line.

I'm not sure I'd be so confident with that team, it's more or less the same team as the last couple of years with a few switches around. We've tried every possible combination with some of these lads and it just hasn't worked.

My own personal opinion is that it's time to get rid of about 5 of that team and start from scratch. Build a team up with new faces, and try and get a bit of shape going.

I've been arguing this a few times on the hurling forum.

You hear this nonsense in GAA a lot about a team ''peaking'' too early, like it's only possible to string 3/4 performances together.
    Completely neglecting the fact that teams in other sports have broke winning streak records etc...

Your less likely to start playing well if you haven't played well, I'd be sticking my money on the horse who won his last 3/4 races over the one who was pulled up 3/4 times.
    dartsfan wrote: »
    I had heard he was unlikely to come back, maybe just a rumour. To be honest, I think it's time to try new faces ahead of him as he fouls way too much, and we need a more disciplined back line.

I'm not sure I'd be so confident with that team, it's more or less the same team as the last couple of years with a few switches around. We've tried every possible combination with some of these lads and it just hasn't worked.

My own personal opinion is that it's time to get rid of about 5 of that team and start from scratch. Build a team up with new faces, and try and get a bit of shape going.

Nail on the head in relation to D.Burke.
    One of the worst back's we've had in years, if you're going to foul the man every time he gets the ball you might as well just kick it over the bar for him.

Bergin really has to go, he did get one or two scores from play yesterday but he always coughs up possession cheaply and his general kicking/fielding is average at best.

I'm not going to be overly harsh on any of the new lads from yesterday, a good few others have had 5years+ of chances, time to start calling time on a few of those and give a new team a chance.

• Advertisement

I'm not going to be overly harsh on any of the new lads from yesterday, a good few others have had 5years+ of chances, time to start calling time on a few of those and give a new team a chance.

Agreed on the new lads, however some of them like Brady and Lally had their chances 5 and 10 years ago, so I can't see how bringing them back is a step forward.

You hear this nonsense in GAA a lot about a team ''peaking'' too early, like it's only possible to string 3/4 performances together.
    Completely neglecting the fact that teams in other sports have broke winning streak records etc...

Your less likely to start playing well if you haven't played well, I'd be sticking my money on the horse who won his last 3/4 races over the one who was pulled up 3/4 times.

Sure yeh have to look at both sides of the coin. How many times in recent years have Galway and Mayo finished top or near the top of the League and not went past the QFs of the Championship? And generally there is such a time difference between the last League game and the first Champo game, not to mention a completely different team. IMO League form is important, but it's certainly can't be used as signal to whether or not a team will perform in the Champo. Otherwise Galway and Mayo would've been playing August football far more frequently in the past.

Nail on the head in relation to D.Burke.
    One of the worst back's we've had in years, if you're going to foul the man every time he gets the ball you might as well just kick it over the bar for him.
    Is Burke any worse than the rest of the Galway backs?No. All our backs are just completely awful. Hanley is just as bad.
    Bergin really has to go, he did get one or two scores from play yesterday but he always coughs up possession cheaply and his general kicking/fielding is average at best.
    Better than Cummins, Sice (who legit missed the easiest free ever), Kenny and Bane.

Bergin is one of our better players (Seán Armstrong my hole).

Is Burke any worse than the rest of the Galway backs?No. All our backs are just completely awful. Hanley is just as bad.

Better than Cummins, Sice (who legit missed the easiest free ever), Kenny and Bane.

Bergin is one of our better players (Seán Armstrong my hole).

Yes he is, I'm sure if it's recorded he would top the poll for fouls in the backline in years gone by.

Second to every ball and would always cheaply push or pull the man when a goal chance wasn't even on.
    It's a lot harder in football then hurling to score from play so free's are vital.

Mind in the Mayo game just gone the discipline from all the backs was poor.

Cummins -Unproven
    Sice- I'd agree, Sice isn't a forward evidenced none more then that tap over free his missed at the weekend
    Kenny -Unproven
    Bane -Completely disagree, his fielding is just as good, his ball control a 100 times better and it would be an insult to even compare their kicking, Bergin would lose a shoot-out with a 30 yard advantage.
    Go back and look at his score count when started and note every one was from play, I never saw him take a free until Sunday and he didn't miss any he took afaik

Bergin is the poorest Galway player to have a medal from 1998-2001, M.Clancy has at least to his credit came up with the goods at vital(2001 qualifier against either Armagh/Cork he scored the winning point) and numerous times apart, Bergin has consistently failed to deliver on some promise he showed on a talented team in 2001 which was good enough to carry him.

I'll do stats on the next game that's televised and no doubt he'll fair pretty poor in every regard.

Don't think Bergin is worse than Clancy, even on his worst day.

Don't think Bergin is worse than Clancy, even on his worst day.

Like most of the U21 winners, they're hot and cold, and haven't delivered in the last 5 years when it's really mattered.

I wouldn't be as harsh on Cummins or Kenny or whoever. They're starting out and deserve a chance. A run of games may improve them.

Some of the other players have had countless chances, and have been switched around to all positions and it has made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Senior Championship 2011

St Michaels v Killererin
    Corofin v Michael Breathnach
    Tuam Stars v Kilkerrin-Clonberne
    Maigh Cuilinn v Bearna
    St James v Claregalway
    Caherlistrane v Caltra
    Salthill-Knocknacarra v Cortoon Shamrocks
    Milltown v Leitir Mor
    Annaghdown v Mountbellew-Moylough
    An Cheathrua Rua v Killanin

Intermediate Championship

Group A

Athenry
    Williamstown
    Menlough
    Glenamaddy

Group B

Caherlistrane
    Monivea Abbey
    Dunmore McHales
    Oughterard

Group C

Salthill-Knocknacarra
    Corofin
    St Brendans
    An Spideal

Group D

Carna Caiseal
    Oranmore Maree
    St Kerrils
    Kilconly

Tricky enought tie for Salthill, tie of the round from what I can see. Our group in Intermediate looks tasty enough too. Wouldn't be surprised to see us get relegated back to Junior A next year though. We have teams now in Senior, Intermediate, Junior A, B and C. Great to see football so strong in a parish where soccer would generally be the dominant sport. An indirect reward of 2006 I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

its always darkest before the dawn...

It's been dark for 10 years now....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

MfMan wrote: »
    Actually, second most I think. (Think about it!)

We're third in the roll of honour behind Kerry and Dublin, though Dublin did win a big chunk of their All-Irelands way back at the beginning. Dublin have only won 8 in the last 80 years to Galway's 9, while Kerry have 20+ in the same period.

THFC wrote: »
    Shouldn't be too siappoints though, as Hulk Hands stated above we had only max. 7 starters out there today.

Not convinced about this. Apart from Meehan, Bradshaw and PJ there's not much else really.

Bergin is the poorest Galway player to have a medal from 1998-2001, M.Clancy has at least to his credit came up with the goods at vital(2001 qualifier against either Armagh/Cork he scored the winning point) and numerous times apart, Bergin has consistently failed to deliver on some promise he showed on a talented team in 2001 which was good enough to carry him.

I'll do stats on the next game that's televised and no doubt he'll fair pretty poor in every regard.

You're thinking of Paul Clancy who kicked a great point to beat Armagh that year, though Matthew did come up with a crucial goal against Derry in the semi final.

All in all another very poor performance on Sunday against a Mayo team who aren't exactly world-beaters themselves. God help us if Kerry and Cork bring anything close to their best form. Looks like we may well lose all 7 league games which won't exactly give the team much hope or confidence going into the championship. It's no surprise really though, we've been in steady decline for the past 7 or 8 years now and unfortunately I'm not sure that TO'F is the man to turn things round either. Really a division 3 team at the moment being honest. (were Galway in div 2 this year there's a strong possibilty we'd have been relegated from that too - you have Tyrone, Meath, Donegal, Kildare etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

aidan24326 wrote: »
    We're third in the roll of honour behind Kerry and Dublin, though Dublin did win a big chunk of their All-Irelands way back at the beginning. Dublin have only won 8 in the last 80 years to Galway's 9, while Kerry have 20+ in the same period.
    Correct, Galway have actually won Sam more times than Dublin.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    You're thinking of Paul Clancy who kicked a great point to beat Armagh that year, though Matthew did come up with a crucial goal against Derry in the semi final.

Actually, he's correct re: Mattie and Cork; he kicked 2 crucial points later in that match when Cork had reduced a big deficit down to 2 and had momentum with them. Was his first and best year for Galway really, honest lad that he is.

MfMan wrote: »
    Correct, Galway have actually won Sam more times than Dublin.
    About time you replied!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cremeegg

for all you sean armstrong haters on this thread (and there a few:confused:) ..he pulled his hamstring today in sigerson so he is out for kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

cremeegg wrote: »
    for all you sean armstrong haters on this thread (and there a few:confused:) ..he pulled his hamstring today in sigerson so he is out for kerry.

As if things couldn't get any worse. Still, Better to have players injured now than in June. Once they're all back for the championship that's all that maters, the league is looking like a write-off anyway.

I don't really mind that we're going to drop down once we show something in the championship. I'm not expecting to win Connacht but just maybe one great win and a decent showing in the other matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Galway team to play Cork

Grealish
    O'Halloran
    Lee
    Collins
    Cuilliane
    Regan
    Hayes
    Burke
    Barry
    Farragher
    Smith
    Ryan
    Coen
    Tannion
    Callanan

Pretty poor half, 1-4 with some disgraceful wides.

Cork aren't even that great tbh, but if you keep missing and the other team tags on the odd one the gap will grow.

Only saw from the 40th minute on but from what I saw Cork were the better team. The backs were all good and kept people like Tannion quiet all match (which isn't too hard looking at his past performances).

Bad day at the office.

• Advertisement

First half was very poor.

Ryan hit two quick wides from central positions from fairly close in. Gimmies at this level.
    They were followed by Cork points so that's a 4 point turnaround alone.

Second half was an improvement but as most games have gone this year the only real performances came from further back the field.
    Discipline especially was very good(bar Lee who gave away 1/2 stupid free's)

Joe and Hayes will be a boost, but I still think we're 1/2 forwards off having a potent team.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement