Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Date - Advice Needed!

• 25-10-2008 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Hi girls!

I need some help. I'm going on a date this evening, and I havent a clue what to wear. We're meeting early-ish for a couple of drinks.

Is jeans and nice top ok? Or too under-dressed? Oh dear God, it's my first date in ages and I'm freaking oout!:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

smiler26 wrote: »
    Hi girls!

I need some help. I'm going on a date this evening, and I havent a clue what to wear. We're meeting early-ish for a couple of drinks.

Is jeans and nice top ok? Or too under-dressed? Oh dear God, it's my first date in ages and I'm freaking oout!:(

Wear a skirt or dress is my only advice. And if you've got long hair, wear it down. Those two things are always remarked on in my experience.

Good luck.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭smiler26

Thanks GI - gonna run and frantically root out skirts/dresses from my wardrobe.

Oh the stress.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

A casual enough dress i would say. If you're only going to a bar you don't need to look like you're off to a formal event. You're far better off wearing what you feel comfortable in. Girls who get dressed up and look so obviously awkward in a dress/skirt/heels don't look as attractive as someone who is comfortable in jeans etc i think. Good luck with it!

Thanks Lola. I agree. Found a dress, but I was already uncomfortable even sitting in my living room.

Back to jeans, killer heels and a black strappy top with some nuce accessories. Just need to straighten my hair now....

WIsh me luck. I can't believe how nervous I am.

x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Take a breath and relax, it will make you seem more attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Wear what you want to wear and what makes you look and feel good.

Thanks Lola. I agree. Found a dress, but I was already uncomfortable even sitting in my living room.

Back to jeans, killer heels and a black strappy top with some nuce accessories. Just need to straighten my hair now....

WIsh me luck. I can't believe how nervous I am.

x

Ah thats lovely!

Just relax, sure its on ly going to be a few hours, if it goes badly you'll have something to contribute to our worst dates thread, if it goes well you'll have a great night hopefully! I find guys find skin attractive so maybe don't over accessorize? All the best!

Thanks everyone. I'm overweight at the moment, so makes things even harder. OK, so I have silver watch and silver chain with black pendant, so it's pretty simple.

Is black strappy top too boring? I have a nice pink one... would that be nicer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Everlee Helpless Union

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Is black strappy top too boring? I have a nice pink one... would that be nicer?
    What we think doesn't matter - anyway you're gonna get mixed answers. There's no definitive answer to "which is nicer - black or pink?" What do YOU prefer/think looks nicer?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

I'd feel uncomfotable to the point of being nervois if I wore a skirt/dress on a date, that's just me though, casual to the max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The general rule is show leg OR cleavage but not both. Hope your datte went well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I dont think there's anything wrong with wearing pretty dresses or skirts on a date. I always feel more comfortable if I know I've made the effort to look nice.

Cant stand when women pass comments about what I wear because they happen to be feeling insecure about what they have on them.

Wear whatever makes you feel boootiful! :)

Thanks everyone...

Ended up having a really good night. He was the perfect gentleman, opening car door for me, complimenting me loads. And we had a lovely kiss at the end of the night when he drove me home.

And then got a text from him after I got in home saying thanks and that he had a great night. I think I might be smitten :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Result!:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭lolly22

Thanks everyone...

Ended up having a really good night. He was the perfect gentleman, opening car door for me, complimenting me loads. And we had a lovely kiss at the end of the night when he drove me home.

And then got a text from him after I got in home saying thanks and that he had a great night. I think I might be smitten :o

Hey Smiler, read your post lastnight, didnt post anything as I saw you got pretty good advise already and hey.........glad to hear it was such a great night for you sounds like a nice guy:) may you have many more great date's ;) *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭BobbyD10

Thanks everyone...

Nice one... ;)

Thanks! Yeah, he seems really nice. I'm not 100% sure what the etiquette for next step is. I suppose I sit and wait for him to call?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Why? There's nothing wrong with you calling him.

You think? I dont want to come over too strong, but at the same time, I am gone past all the game playing as well!

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for all the advice so far. My last relationship was a mess, and my confidence is still totally dented after it.

x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,267 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I presume you texted him back last night thanking him for a great evening as well? Even so, nothing wrong with you calling him and telling him that you enjoyed yourself and wanted to thank him properly as texts are so impersonal, and that you hope you could meet up again some time.

Now I'm sure someone will be along to advise you otherwise, but that's just my 2c and I wouldn't think any woman was coming on too strong if she called me the next day to tell me that.

Thanks. I think you're right..... I'm gonna call him.... Nothing ventured, nothing gained ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

Thanks everyone...

Aww yay!! That's great to hear.

Best of luck ;)

Thanks everyone...

Dear Lord -RUN he sounds crazy!!! :D

Glad you enjoyed yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭ Paityn Shapely Gynecologist

Thanks. I think you're right..... I'm gonna call him.... Nothing ventured, nothing gained ! :)

Exactly, so ring the guy. He wouldnt have drop you home or text you after saying he had a nice time if he wasnt interested, so you have nothing to lose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Ah hh, the beginnings of a new romance ,isint it just marvellous (sigh) ;)
    :D

Well, I called him and he said he wasn't looking for anything serious, and that he thought I was lovely, but has realised he doesn't want to be with anyone at the moment.

Gutted :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:( Ahh jaysus. Sorry to hear that. That's a pain to hear and I know it doesn't help much, but better to know now than later down the line. Plus you never know what's around the next corner. I know that sounds like the usual crapola, but it's true. It really is.

Put it another way, you put yourself out there and it didn't work as yet, but it will if you keep putting yourself out there. Maybe he just didn't feel it and that was an excuse, but maybe he's telling the truth. I've been there, but regardless, of what he said or feels, the end result is that he didn't get to be with you. That's his loss too.

I guarantee that there is some man out there at this very moment that you don't know yet that couldn't comprehend not wanting to be with you. There have probably been men in your past that felt that and they'll be there in the future. Take that to the bank

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks Wibbs. You're absolutely right - just gotta pick myself back up again :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Aw no chick that sucks :( I was reading your post this morning and was dead happy it went well for you, thats a bit of a mad turnaround for him to say that. But hey fair play for calling him, sure if you didn't you might still be wondering that the story was, its better knowing now so you can go out and find someone nicer ;)

Advertisement