Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread MOD WARNING POST #2944

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The folk art that is the northern blanket is a unique part of ulsters heritage, it should be isolated within ulster so it can preserved as a cultural treasure.

Then the rest of us will have to just content ourselves with playing football

• Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

Interesting to note that Dublin have the best defensive record in Div 1 ..

I don't really want to discuss the game last night - but just a couple of thoughts

Why do we have the inside forward line in and around the square when the ball is up the other end ? - would we not be better served pushing the 2 front men wide ?

Why do we persist with the short uncontested kick out against blanket defences - it seems we're just slowing the play into the opposition half allowing them to set? the odd long ball into the mix and a tussle for the breaking ball would occupy opponents more than them running back to mark space

Jack McCaffrey has become a proper defender

I was glad I got in early to see the hurling ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Bambi wrote: »
    The folk art that is the northern blanket is a unique part of ulsters heritage, it should be isolated within ulster so it can preserved as a cultural treasure.

Then the rest of us will have to just content ourselves with playing football

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Who got man of the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Beffs wrote: »
    Who got man of the match?

Connolly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Was at the match on Saturday.

Obviously conditions were crap and it was a dour game.

The way the Dubs played reminded me in some ways of watching rugby....

You'd have a guy like Michael Darragh McAuley get the ball in the middle of the park, and just hurtle himself forward at top speed to try to 'gain yards'. And he'd gain maybe ten yards, and be 50 yards from goal, and then the short hand passing begins to lads 8 feet away and they are running into each other until one of them is swamped up by defenders. So it was exactly like watching Gordon D'arcy lash into the Welsh defence to break the 'gainline'; but the difference is that in rugby its easier to retain the ball when you do that.

Dublin clearly had better players, but Derry clearly had a better system, or at least a more obvious one.

Several times you spot 13 of the 14 Derry outfield players behind the 45, all in a line defending.

The thing was, you'd have 5 Dublin players hanging back, 'marking' the 1 Derry forward.

If you compare it to Rugby, which is probably a closer comparison than comparing it to Gaelic football of 30 years ago....
    .....in Rugby, a team defends in a line, like Derry did....
    ....but the team attacking attacks in a line, they don't leave a flanker, two wingers and a centre back guarding the goal.

I couldn't see any need for Dublin to hold so many players back when they were in possession, or indeed for them to bunch so tightly together in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

Possibly a little off topic - but why does Culligan tuck his collar IN to his jersey?

I thought he played well.. always made himself available when moving the ball out of defence but JESUS did that collar annoy me. Surely its more uncomfortable tucked that way

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    Possibly a little off topic - but why does Culligan tuck his collar IN to his jersey?

I thought he played well.. always made himself available when moving the ball out of defence but JESUS did that collar annoy me. Surely its more uncomfortable tucked that way

Fashion and Appearance thread here :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=464

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

I actually don't think that there is any need to change the rules of Gaelic football. I only saw highlights of the Dublin game but the weather obviously effected the standard and I've seen this before. Football is messy when it's wet and windy.

Most importantly, weaker teams in any sport will always do whatever they can within the rules to compete with the stronger ones. Weaker soccer teams defend in huge numbers and just kick the ball back to the opposition. Weaker rugby teams constantly kick the ball and play for territory - it's not great to look at no doubt. I don't mind the governing bodies of these sports looking to tinker with the rules to make improvements not knee-jerk reactions because they don't like certain teams tactic over a few games. Also, the game would be a lot worse if every team played the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Raging, I've a wedding to go to. Missing the football was bad enough but missing the double header :( Mind you, it'd want to be a better day out that the double header on March 7th *shudders*

The sister took my ticket, looks like I made the right call :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tombo2001 wrote:
    I couldn't see any need for Dublin to hold so many players back when they were in possession, or indeed for them to bunch so tightly together in midfield.

I guess it's to defend against a counter attack.

Granted Derry operated a better blanket than Donegal have on Saturday.

But Donegal leave something to counter with, Derry had zero counter attack, they didn't want to win. Donegal want to win, Derry wanted to limit, I've never seen that before.

Maybe the dubs didn't commit everyone to attack because they never though a division one team would plan to have no attack that thought never struck them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

From our own point of view, as soon as Derry lost the ball they were turning around and running towards their own goal. Dublin were playing into this tactic by hand passing the ball around their half-back line. Kick the sh*gg*ng thing forward, and reduce Derry's chance of getting 15 players back on time! Dublin were far too slow in their build up.

In an ideal world, Dublin would be practicing their long range kicking (for points) for the next couple of months!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In an ideal world, Dublin would be practicing their long range kicking (for points) for the next couple of months!

Rock was disappointing in this regard, for a player that constantly ignored the runner on Saturday he contributed little, you'd forgive this if he scored more distance points, something we've all seen him do, he kicks them high up over a tackle with great accuracy, he needs to do it more as it's his thing, at least when Andrews is not scoring he gets stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Stoner wrote: »
    I guess it's to defend against a counter attack.

Granted Derry operated a better blanket than Donegal have on Saturday.

But Donegal leave something to counter with, Derry had zero counter attack, they didn't want to win. Donegal want to win, Derry wanted to limit, I've never seen that before.

Maybe the dubs didn't commit everyone to attack because they never though a division one team would plan to have no attack that thought never struck them.

McIver said as much after the game. The big thing for them was to show they can come to Croke Park and not capitulate like they did last year. He actually felt it was a super nights work i think!

corny wrote:
    McIver said as much after the game. The big thing for them was to show they can come to Croke Park and not capitulate like they did last year. He actually felt it was a super nights work i think!

That's right he just didn't want to get hockied.

Didn't Gilroy do something similar with us in 2010.

We were all on here talking about it being hard to watch, when you get ripped apart as we did in 2008 and 2009 avoiding that becomes the priority.

I like McIver, seems very genuine.

Another thing. It was hard to watch but for such a defensive game there was very little niggle in it, compared to Donegal, Tyrone and Kerry anyway.

I enjoyed my Saturday afternoon anyway. Hopefully the team learned something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Stoner wrote: »

I like McIver, seems very genuine.

He is, very much so. A great man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Hi all,
    Hill 16 season ticket holder here and a little off topic but i checked my attendance today and im marked down as going to the Mayo match but didnt.

Did this happen to anybody else? Last year it was the other way round where your attendance wasnt being added!

Anybody else check theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭squrm

Ken Tucky wrote:
    Hi all, Hill 16 season ticket holder here and a little off topic but i checked my attendance today and im marked down as going to the Mayo match but didnt.

Ken Tucky wrote:
    Did this happen to anybody else? Last year it was the other way round where your attendance wasnt being added!

Ken Tucky wrote:
    Anybody else check theirs?

Yes same thing happened and I've a stand ticket. Means I've a 100% attendance now so am not complaining!

nope wont be complaining either. And for the sake of an easy life i just might forsake the trip to Clones as herself is not pleased i was heading off on Easter Sunday....although i might get dragged somewhere i dont want to go.

Next stop Monaghon so hehe��

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I find Clones is always a good trip no matter the result. With the Farney army looking strong it's almost guaranteed to be worth it :D

• Advertisement

True that. Its one of the few grounds i havent been to so yeah i will be there. Hopefully it will be a better match than Saturday:mad:

I'm expecting a good game. Good test for Rory.

My designated driver is humming and hawing about going might have to forego the pre match pint in the square beforehand. If they'd any sense about them they should play for the draw :rolleyes:

Monaghan like Derry will have last years defeat in their minds I'd expect more of the same defensive play Sunday. I also think Kerry will be playing Div 2 football next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

DoctaDee wrote: »
    I also think Kerry will be playing Div 2 football next year

I was about to say 'no way' until i looked at the table and realised its a strong possibility alright. I'd expect they will up their game though. Tyrone is their bogey team but not in March / April.

Hmming and Hawing about making the trip to Clones. Saturday has put me right off to be honest. It's a long hike to watch a dirty slogfest.

I'll be heading down anyway, they are a good crowd in clones, the more blankets the better at this stage, we could end up meeting them all again later on anyway

U21's wrapped up the Leinster tonight by 4 points - Costello with 2-2 and McHugh with 5 points 3-10 to 1-12

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Was gonna head down but didn't. Sounded like a good game.

corny wrote: »
    Was gonna head down but didn't. Sounded like a good game.

Yeah the BIL is just back from it, rang to tell me (I wouldn't have got away with tonight and then Clones) .. open game both teams playing attacking football - seemingly an iffy start to both halves, McHugh the pick of the forward line by all accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭EICVD

Was in Navan myself. To be honest the game could of been over at half time, Dublin must of hit nearly 10 wides in the first half to Kildares 2, 6 points up with a minute to play in the 1st half & we conceded 1-1. Good for the game there was only 2 in it at the break as the second half was quite exciting. Did have a chuckle at a few Kildare fans who cheered a Dublin wide when they were 2 up only for Costello to grab his second goal a minute later. The fact one Kildare lad scored 0-11 (8 frees/45s) from 1-12 doesn't say much for them. (excellent execution though, don't think he missed a single free or 45)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Monaghan 0-05 Dublin 1-09 at HT.The game was delayed by 10 minutes.

Keep it up lads and the semi-final awaits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement