Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I hope you're right RSF. Obviously Karl at even 80% would be a certainty but I just feel he was showing signs last year that he's falling back a bit. I wouldn't have any concerns about Paddy, I think he's still well worth his place in the team and hopefully Karl can prove me wrong.

BTW I am aware that it is blasphemy to some to even suggest dropping Karl and I stand ready to attend confession should I be shown to be an unbeliever by the great man! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    +1 here. I'm sure there will be murmurings of location based preferences and such but hopefully Declan has not left the panel and can keep fighting for a place. Of those 6 listed RSF, I think Karl has a battle on his hands to keep his place - which makes it all the more disappointing that Declan didn't get a few starts in the league as he would be the obvious next in line.

He has walked. :mad: He cited lack of opportunity.

He has walked. :mad: He cited lack of opportunity.

Very disappointing to hear. I'll hold fire until the league campaign has finished but there are a couple of concerns so far on how the panel is taking shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I would just ask for cool heads on this from people. I feel that two years ago we had a chance to move away from this when Dublin won a fantastic All-Ireland playing expansive, free-flowing football.
    "But then Donegal brought [defensive football] to a new level last year when they beat Dublin in the semi-final using those tactics.
    “We all know what the problem is but trying to solve it is going to be a very difficult task without making radical changes, and nobody wants to do that.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2015/0331/691076-burns-calls-for-cool-heads-in-football-debate/

I'm not quite sure what to take from this.

3-14 is bringing defensive football to a new level ... do people really believe this type of trash? Some people seem to think that if you keep repeating the same mantra it might eventually be taken as the truth! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

dog_pig wrote: »

My word, Jarlath must be short of things to do these days. Knocking up one of the biggest scores of the year (3-14) is now described as taking defensive play to an all new level.FFS! He'd do well to take a look at the way his own county are playing ball these days.

Unfortunately there seems to be a particular witch hunt directed at Donegal football at the moment.

Brolly quite rightly listed out about 15 counties playing this brand of football but it appears Donegal get the brunt of any criticism. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dgl1992

Actually heard Jarlath come out with that guff this morning on rte radio 1. It's frightening to think that heis chair of the rules committee.

All we need now is Eugene McGee and Brolly on it and we can look forward to a return to the catch and kick rubbish that so entertained these dinosaurs in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Granted there's some dire games played these days but I've seen some terrible soccer games, some crap rugby games,and the worst two hours of my life was watching the Red Sox beat the White Sox in Fenway park. Two hours I've lost forever - never to get back.

No need for rash thinking and rule changes just yet. Smart managers will come up with a plan to beat the blanket. Give them 3 years and if it looks like there's no change,then consider a rule change. It's like everything, the sport is just evolving.

A positive to be taken from all this, there's never been a better time for 'weaker' counties to win Sam. A county with 2/3 great forwards and an able blanket defence could be in with a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That tripe from Burns has really fecked me off now.

I should know better but for fúck sake. People listen to this garbage and then run with it. Pisses me off.

And him from Armagh. He has a cheek.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭overshoot

yea its great now Ulster teams are tarred, the funny thing is then we won the AI in 2012... to get a higher average score, you had to go back to another northern team! I dont see why defences are so ridiculed, its a team game. If you want a man for man game, divide the field up into 15 squares and off you go, its stone age thinking.

Dublin deployed a serious blanket under Gilroy and yes they do at the beginning of all games pull c12 back. contrary to popular belief, they went and won them before letting loose... but againts the weakest province it never took long. Spillane would never admit to Kerry doing it. Its easy to point the finger at someone, so is Ulster, Donegal as the most suggessful county lately get the brunt. At least it means they fear us, they wouldnt talk about us otherwise.

In saying that, iv had a terrible attendance this year but its the biggest saving grace of going to games, not having to watch those gob****es

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone headed to Omagh tonight?

I'll have to make do with the usual patchy coverage on Highland.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

listening to it on highland, we'll need to improve on last week.

Sounds like a farce, floodlight failure and a near unplayable pitch.

yeah, and to cap it off an interview with kernan instead of commentary on the match.

yeah, and to cap it off an interview with kernan instead of commentary on the match.

Indeed, FFS, GAA show my ass.

Northern Sound are carrying it and no interruptions now.

Going well now, Monaghan down to 14 men and Jack O'Brien has just scored a goal!

2-05 to 0-01.

Ref will probably decide the pitch is unplayable now.

was just thinking that.

As things stand, it looks very like it will be Donegal v Tyrone in the final.....

Listening on Northern Sound is class....all sorts of insinuations being made!

Highland are a feckin disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Celtic Park Final ? Well done Maxi and the boys

Murt15 wrote: »
    Celtic Park Final ? Well done Maxi and the boys

Hope not!

Would prefer Enniskillen for obvious reasons.

But maybe I should just stay away. My all time record at U21 games

P3
    L3 (2010 AIF, 2013 UF, 2014 AF)

• Advertisement

Listened to the game on Northern Sound. Great craic altogether. Will be hard to take much from tonight given the conditions and the fact that Monaghan went down to 14 men early enough but still, third Ulster Final in a row and we should be favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

We can't under estimate the achievment of reaching a third Ulster final in a row. Some of our All-Ireland senior winners never even reached an Ulster decider.

We once had an U-21 team that included senior champions Neil Mc Gee, Eamon Mc Gee, Karl Lacey, Frank Mc Glynn, Anthony Thompson and Ryan Bradley along with others like Ciaran Bonner, Leon Thompson and Michael Doherty that got knocked out in their first match.

Like wise Rory Kavanagh, Neil Gallagher, Paul Durcan, Colm Mc Fadden, Christy Toye and the likes of Barry Dunnion and Conal Dunne all played on U-21 teams together with little success.

So great credit to all involved for the fantastic work and effort being put into the set up.

Its also interesting to note that 16 of those U-21's players who have seen action in the 1st two games against Cavan and Monaghan are underage again next year.

Well said Murt.

It would be nice to win again after 2010. Our Ulster U-21 titles have tended to precede future success at senior level. Nothing is guaranteed of course!

A lot of last year's minors are involved in this year's U-21 team. Indications are that this year's minor team is very good also. It would be really great to be turning out good underage teams consistently as this is something we have tended to struggle with in the past.

U21 Final fixed for Derry on Wednesday.

Team for challenge match vs Mayo on Sunday

1 Boyle
    2 Doherty
    3 Neil McGee
    4 Eamonn McGee
    5 McGrath
    6 Lacey
    7 McGlynn
    8 McElhinney
    9 Toye
    10 O'Reilly
    11 MacNiallais
    12 Ryan McHugh
    13 McBrearty
    14 Hugh
    15 Colm Anthony

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Well said Murt.

It would be nice to win again after 2010. Our Ulster U-21 titles have tended to precede future success at senior level. Nothing is guaranteed of course!

A lot of last year's minors are involved in this year's U-21 team. Indications are that this year's minor team is very good also. It would be really great to be turning out good underage teams consistently as this is something we have tended to struggle with in the past.

The schools are doing well too which is fantastic to see. Carrick were narrowly beaten there the other day in heartbreaking circumstances apparently.

The U-21's need to win it now. No excuses. 3 finals in a row they have simply got to get over the line now next week and win it. It will be a total failure not to do so.

The minors are flying too, you're right. Last years team was the best we've ever had but this group are blitzing all before them early doors. Declan has done such brilliant work underage. He deserves immense credit.

I'm hugely upbeat about the condition of our underage teams and the game in general at that level. Previously it was only the VS students who'd be competing at a national level really wouldn't it. Eunans occasionally too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

howiya wrote: »
    Whitehall according to a lad on the resdubs forum
    Im pretty sure he lives in whithehall- I know he trains in regency gym- along with a few others. In fact I heard they trained harder than ever last Winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭harpsman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Fine, it is good to get a suspension out of the way next weekend but Michael Murphy cannot be picking up black and yellow cards at the rate he has been picking them up during this year's league. It's an issue that needs to be addressed.

I wasn't there, but I heard Hugh McFadden's tackling hasn't improved either.

Pity that himself and Ryan McHugh weren't hooked at half time with the U-21 game on Wednesday
    Was at the game- the impression I got was that it was a perfect tackle by Murphy, knocking the ball cleanly out of Cavanaghs grasp.

Seems to be the national sport giving Murphy dodgy cards at the moment.

I do agree and have always said that he doesnt need to be getting involved as much as he does- Suppose its the fact he is captain and along with McGees the most physically imposing player that he feels he has to be a bit of an enforcer too.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭howiya

harpsman wrote: »
    Im pretty sure he lives in whithehall- I know he trains in regency gym- along with a few others. In fact I heard they trained harder than ever last Winter!

Joining Ballyboden on the other side of the city. Article on hoganstand this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

howiya wrote: »
    Joining Ballyboden on the other side of the city. Article on hoganstand this morning.

Lives in Beaumont as far as I know. Has a cousin who plays for Ballyboden according to article I read on Donegal Daily. Four Masters saying they have no knowledge of what is happening.

Advertisement