Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting the Department of Environment and Environmental Enforcement Agency

• 26-06-2014 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

Has anyone had to contact the above agencies? There's an illegal fuel depot built out the back of my house that went on fire in 2012. This caused a huge amount of pollution in the form of smoke, and there was oil found in groundwater nearby. The shed that burned down has now been rebuilt (without planning permission), and they seem to be back in full operation. I've noticed oil in groundwater around the area, and am very worried that the place will go on fire again. Apart from the obvious danger, this is an environmental issue. I've contacted Phil Hogan's office, they tried to fob me off saying it was a planning issue. I replied saying it was also an environmental issue and I wasn't asking him to intervene on planning issues, although he has no problem intervening when it suits him.

I'm just looking for advice on the best way to go about getting the right people to pay attention to this, if that's possible!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

you say it's illegal. Do you mean it doesn't have planning permission?
    If it doesn't have permission it's a planning matter - subject to it being a developement for which planning is required.

Where in the country are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OilDepotView

I know the not having planning permission is a planning issue, I wanted to contact the minister about the environmental issues with there being an unregulated fuel depot. I am not expecting the minister of the environment to deal with a planning issue.

I am in Kilkenny.

these things tend to be passed down to local level i.e. your local authority.

Phil Hogan has administrators who deal with matters of policy etc.

Local Authorities have legislative powers and they are the enforcement authority.

Contact the Council directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 OilDepotView

I have. They have ignored me for several years. I am not looking for advice on the planning issues. I am looking for advice or experiences of people who have had dealings with these agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,175 ✭✭✭✭fits

Try the environmental protection agency. They do the enforcement. And they have an office in kilkenny.

• Advertisement

the office of Environmental Enforcement will pressure a LA to do its job. S.63 notice applies.

However, it may be that the use has been established for a long time whereby the planning enforcement may be statute barred by law to pursue any action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

There's no such thing as the Environmental Enforcement Agency, and the Department of the Environment has little or nothing to do with enforcement.

If you want to make a complaint, call 1850 365 121

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭dathi

There's no such thing as the Environmental Enforcement Agency, and the Department of the Environment has little or nothing to do with enforcement.

the EPA has an office of environmental enforcement in their kilkenny base if you give them a phone call 056 7796700 and ask for the enforcement section someone there will give you your options

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

dathi wrote: »
    the EPA has an office of environmental enforcement in their kilkenny base if you give them a phone call 056 7796700 and ask for the enforcement section someone there will give you your options

Or you could just call the 24 hour EPA Environmental Complaints number I've already posted :confused:

Advertisement