Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Political Journalism Internship?

• 23-04-2013 4:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all

I'm a 20 year old student at UCD (BA Arts) living in Sutton, County Dublin. I've had a fierce interest in politics for as long as I can remember (tempered by living abroad in Hungary and the UK for half of my life) and have always enjoyed writing. I'm looking for an internship (paid or unpaid, I don't mind, as I'm only seeking the experience) in Dublin in the arena of political journalism, something I've always aspired towards being an avid reader of the Economist and Irish Times.

If anybody could direct me to anywhere I may hope to find such a position, I would truly appreciate it. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,643 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Do you think asking in the UCD forum might be a better idea? There are likely to be people who have been where you are now, and could recommend companies who have internship programs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Write to editors, and include examples of published articles (student newspapers, blog posts or whatever.)
    Don't expect them to necessarily respond, though. There is a vast oversupply of trained (Master's level) journalists out there with no work, all seeking experience or a foot in the door too.
    Also, bear in mind that there are no more than a handful of dedicated political correspondents in the entire country, and even they tend to have to write general news or features regularly. You won't, in other words get an internship as a political reporter. You'd be extremely lucky to get any sort of internship at all, and if you did, you would undoubtedly be expected to work on any or all sorts of areas.

Advertisement