Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aritech CS350 Alarm - Low Battery

• 19-09-2006 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey,
    I'm interested to hear anything on this topic, namely I've got an Aritech CS350 alarm with low battery warning (for a few months). It's beeping every minute or so lately which is very annoying and I would like to try to change the battery myself if possible (before it goes mental again - it did about 2 months ago and I haven't used it since). I'm wondering is it very difficult to change a battery in one of these things?

Any tips would be very gratefully received.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

No. 2 screws to open the box, the alarm will sound, put in your code, that will stop it then there are just 2 terminals on the battery. Be careful when you are putting in the new battery, there isnt a lot of room , so try to get it into the same spot without disturbing the wires into the panel. The battery is 12v 7.2Ah available from most electrical wholesalers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I changed one a couple of weeks ago for a friend. Just unscrew the panel, this will set off the alarm as it has a tamper detector. Use your code to disarm. Just swap the battery with a new one, a 12 volt 2.8 Amp Hour battery. Make sure you keep the same polarity as the old battery. You can get the batteries in electrical suppliers. I picked it up for less than €10. Switch off the breaker which powers the alarm panel first or failing this remove the fuse in the panel itself. It will take a couple of minutes for the low battery message to go.

Edit: Woops, I'm a slow replier, Pataman's message wasn't there when I clicked reply.
    Pataman: Does the Ah make much difference? I presume it just lasts longer. The instructions told me to use a 2.8Ah battery but the supplier gave me a 3.2Ah and the one I removed was a 7.2Ah as far as I can remember.

The only difference is that it will last longer in an outage. However I wouldn't be in favour of removing the fuse or turning off the power. Some alarms( you should be ok with the cs350) lose their settings when power and battery are removed. Check to see if LK1 is in place before you remove the power, if it is then its ok to turn off mains aswell. For info, you reset the cs350 to factory settings by removing power, battery and LK1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I thought you needed the eng. code to switch off the alarm when you remove the panel to change the battery? Not the alarm code. I could be wrong. Either way, its easy enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I had read on an alarm help forum to remove the power source but I didn't as I was afraid the alarm would lose it's settings.
    Lex, with the CS350 it's just your own code to disarm, not the engineering code.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

FX Meister wrote:
    Lex, with the CS350 it's just your own code to disarm, not the engineering code.
    good to know...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 copperwr

Thanks a lot guys, you all managed to give me exactly the information and advice I need. I'm just curious, before I tackle it, I'd like to know what the LK1 is that you refer to?
    Thanks again,
    Rob

This is only for resetting the panel back to factory defaults, Dont touch(unless you are Fr Dougal)

No, I won't touch the big red button Ted, I won't. But I'm just interested to know how do I know if my alarm has a LK1 (whatever that is?), since you say that if it does, then I can turn off the mains aswell to make sure I don't fry my ass.... If it doesn't have one, then I'll just have to mess around with the mains switched on Ted...

oh my god, that was unbelievably simple.
    I can't believe the technician wanted to charge me 115 euro for that..
    ye saved me a bundle of cash, thanks lads.
    It's actually as simple as the above posts suggest, just open
    the panel, alarm goes off, enter code, alarm stops, remove old battery,
    insert new battery, plug in the 2 terminals as in the same polarity as
    they were and replace the panel. However, if you are an eejit when it
    comes to electricity and you don't know what precautions to take, I'd
    suggest you don't take any risks and find someone who does know how
    to work around electricity.
    Thanks again to all who helped
    Rob :)

• Advertisement

ok, now that the battery is installed, the LED warning light has gone off for that, but the display is reading 'cabinet tamper, blah blah blah' and it's started chirping again. I'm assuming the chirping is due to the cabinet tamper, so any idea how to shut it up?

Is it that I've failed to replace the cabinet door properly, I've been reading about tamper switches and springs and the like but failed to notice anything when poking around.... or is there something I have to do on the panel to make the error message go away?
    that chirping is driving me mad, grrrr....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Sounds like the lid is not on properly. When replacing the lid you should listen out for the click of the tamper switch closing. Also check that the spring is straight

Thanks for your post,
    I've considered that possibility alright, though when I went to open it a few minutes ago the alarm went off again, implying that the tamper switch is active... even if the cover is not back on properly... is that possible?

Can the tamper switch be active and yet the cover not properly secured which would cause the chirping??

copperwr wrote:

Can the tamper switch be active and yet the cover not properly secured which would cause the chirping??

Not likely. The tamper is a spring just above the wiring terminals. They often get snagged by the wires when closing. Just gently push the wires out of the way and you should be fine.

Hey, I've checked out the tamper switch and it was not snagged. It is also active, I know this coz the alarm blew the ears off me when I opened the panel to check it out. So after that, I replaced the panel and it still continues to chirp? Is it designed to drive me crazy? Does anyone think the problem might be something else?

In any case, I'm thinking about cutting it off altogether, I'm not using it and it's just driving me nuts - and I'm not paying 115 for an engineer to press a few buttons and hey presto!... so can anyone tell me how to cut it off safely, (maybe you want to pm me?)... I'd really appreciate it!
    Rob

On the alarm panel press down twice and it will tell you what zones are open. I have never heard of the alarm chirping before.

When I press <down arrow> twice, it's telling me all zones are closed....

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

Recently moved into new apartment and the control panel on the wall is showing low battery warning. I have read the posts re. replacing the battery in the main box, but unfortunately I do not have the code (neither does estate agent or past tenants). The installers are m+j electronics (01 6613022) but the number is no longer in use and i cant find any reference to them online. Any ideas? Id prefer not to open box and be entering guessed engineering codes while the alarm goes off too please.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rjp123

found installers telephone number and getting them to service and reprogram. FYI alarm wont go off if battery runs down but servicing now will save further problems down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,612 ✭✭✭✭altor

rjp123 wrote: »
    Recently moved into new apartment and the control panel on the wall is showing low battery warning. I have read the posts re. replacing the battery in the main box, but unfortunately I do not have the code (neither does estate agent or past tenants). The installers are m+j electronics (01 6613022) but the number is no longer in use and i cant find any reference to them online. Any ideas? Id prefer not to open box and be entering guessed engineering codes while the alarm goes off too please.
    Thanks

Hi rjp123,
    You need the user code to turn the panel off when you open the main box you have but you have no code. sometimes the panel is eng locked so cant be defaulted.
    I will send you a pm with instructions..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

altor wrote: »
    Hi rjp123,
    You need the user code to turn the panel off when you open the main box you have but you have no code. sometimes the panel is eng locked so cant be defaulted.
    I will send you a pm with instructions..

If its eng locked, is there nothing you can do with it?

BostonB wrote: »
    If its eng locked, is there nothing you can do with it?

Hi BostonB,
    If the panel is eng locked, it can be unlocked by replacing the chip in the panel. What this does is bring the panel back to factory settings allowing a new customer and eng code to be set up on the system plus it allows the reprogramming of the system.
    Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

I have the same problem as the main poster in the thread, need a new battery,
    and NIGHTGUARD in Galway City want 120 euro just for callout charge.

2 questions:

1) In the thread, is it (in principle) dangerous to go inside the box to change the
    battery (i.e. if I touch the wrong part/wire, am I dead?!)

2) Can one of you describe what the battery itself looks like, before I go at the
    box: e.g. is it cubic, rectangular, cylincrical, rough dimensions (so I know
    what to look for in electrical store....)

Thanks everyone!
    Michael

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ceatharloch

The "box" we have from ARITECH: Its in the "hot press" upstairs, large white box,
    about 35cm x 25cm x 12 cm. It has two antenna (about 10cm) long on top (we have
    a key fob for remote control). Does that sound like the right box?

Also - to earlier posters - where are the 2 screws to open the box (left side, right side,
    or underneath)? Thanks.

Michael

ps - I have also a _very_ basic question, I really must be missing something, but
    what does pm mean (see it is lots of posts on boards.ie)?

I have the same problem as the main poster in the thread, need a new battery,
    and NIGHTGUARD in Galway City want 120 euro just for callout charge.

2 questions:

1) In the thread, is it (in principle) dangerous to go inside the box to change the
    battery (i.e. if I touch the wrong part/wire, am I dead?!)

2) Can one of you describe what the battery itself looks like, before I go at the
    box: e.g. is it cubic, rectangular, cylincrical, rough dimensions (so I know
    what to look for in electrical store....)

Thanks everyone!
    Michael

It sounds like you have a cs250 panel. The battery is 12v 7.2ah. If you turn the main fuse off at your fuse board you should be able to replace the battery. Another thing you could do is turn the power off and bring the old battery with you..

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Donnchadh

Hi everybody!

I am havng some trouble with my Aritech CS350 alarm. The battery died and I replaced it without much trouble, however any time I try to set the alarm I get "Call alarm co.40" on the display.

I don't know the engineering code so I can't enter that. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanx :rolleyes:

Donnchadh wrote: »
    Hi everybody!

I am havng some trouble with my Aritech CS350 alarm. The battery died and I replaced it without much trouble, however any time I try to set the alarm I get "Call alarm co.40" on the display.

I don't know the engineering code so I can't enter that. Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Thanx :rolleyes:

Hi Donnchadh,

Sounds like the eng who installed the system put a eng reset on the system, which means you will either need the eng code or an engineer to reset the alarm system.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Donnchadh

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately the company that installed the alarm doesn't exist anymore and I don't know the eng code. Any ideas? I've tried a few codes (like 1234) but no luck

Donnchadh wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately the company that installed the alarm doesn't exist anymore and I don't know the eng code. Any ideas? I've tried a few codes (like 1234) but no luck

The default eng code is 1278. I would say it is eng locked if the eng reset is on the panel. There is a way to default the alarm by replacing the chip but it would need to be reprogrammed after this..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Hi all,

Sorry to bump the thread. There is a low battery warning on the Aritech CS350 alarm in my apartment. I never ever use the alarm and the Landlord is unsure of the code.

What I would like to know is:
    1) Why is there a battery in the first place when I presume it's also mainsconnected? Back-up?
    2) How long will the battery last from when the low battery message appears?
    3) Will the alarm go off when the battery eventually dies?

I know nothing about alarms and actually really hate the things but I don't want to have to call the landlord sometime in the middle of the night and be driving my neighbours nuts sometime in the future if it goes off.

Thanks.

Advertisement