Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

season 5 what do expect? (for book readers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I suppose I'll give my opinion in the same format as Armani.

Doran - Looks good, should nail it when he's in character.
    Tyrstane - Agree, perfect. He could have played Aegon too.
    Myrcella - pretty hot, seems good.
    Areo - I would have liked if he pronounced Areo properly but yep, nailed it.
    Yezzen - Looks fine to me.
    Sand Snakes - Don't know what to make of these, hard to know.
    Sparrow - Looks the part (Howland Reed anyone?). As close to perfect casting as I can see.

Where are the Ironborn? They can't be serious, if Euron/Vic are cut I'll go mad. Also Arianne, Quentyn?

I don't know. Hopefully more to come anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Holding back Brian Blessed as Wyman as the big reveal later. I like their style.

Seriously though that's not all the casting is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

JONATHAN PRYCE!!! That is brilliant casting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Arianne is a big omission there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Liam O wrote: »
    Arianne is a big omission there.

I wouldn't panic yet, I'd say they will release the names half a dozen at a time as there is loads of parts they still need to fill.
    As mentioned Arianne, Quentyn, Victarian and Euron - Can also add Griff, Aegon, Waif, Darkstar, KindlyOldMan, some Oldtown maesters, a Septa for the Cersei storylines.

Whilst 1 or 2 might be dropped, most will be filled soon enough so expect another video in a few weeks imo.

• Advertisement

It says on the HBO website that Trystane is "the heir to Dorne".

I think Quentyn is cut, and potentially Arianne too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I don't want to even let half of these thoughts into my head let alone utter them but:

Could they be cutting the Greyjoys, Faegon and friends, the Martells that actually had some story and.... *gulps* Wyman Maderley :eek:

I mean if they've got 3 seasons left and basically 4 books, 2 of which haven't even been written yet then they might need to cut down for "logistical reasons"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I'm not surprised about the Greyjoys. The TV audience has no interest in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

They could still me announced in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

The greyjoy could be in season 6, although I also think they could announce them later.

I see no problem with them listing trystane as the heir to dorne - that is what arianne thinks he's being groomed for anyway.

• Advertisement

The greyjoy could be in season 6, although I also think they could announce them later.

I see no problem with them listing trystane as the heir to dorne - that is what arianne thinks he's being groomed for anyway.

That's Quentyn, Arianne is the heir to Dorne as she's older so unless she and Quentyn both die then Trystane has no claim. What annoys me is that if they confirm that Trystane is heir and cut Arianne it pretty much means that she's another pointless POV (like Quent pretty much) with no impact on the endgame. Cutting her pretty much verifies than Aegon's plot is pointless because it's geared towards him marrying her to get Dorne on his side. At least Quentyn's story was resolved in one book, I don't think I'd be happy waiting years to find out Arianne was a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

I remember seeing a while back (a good while back,so open to correction) over on westeros.org, one of the seemingly in the know posters was convinced that Arianne would be cut, with the sand snakes taking her place. Also that crows eye and vic would be merged into one character.For the life of me cant remember what the theory for Quentyn was but there was something. I remember writing it off at the time, but not looking good now.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Keisha Castle-Hughes is no newcomer, either - Oscar-nominated for her first film, Whale Rider and was in Star Wars Episode III, more recently acting part-time.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I really need to read the books again. Can't remember who any of those characters are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Introducing 9 new cast members - that sounds very intimidating. If they focus too much on Dorne or Iron Isles, people will turn off.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Introducing 9 new cast members - that sounds very intimidating. If they focus too much on Dorne or Iron Isles, people will turn off.

Stannis is getting a lot more screen time so I am happy :D

pinkypinky wrote: »

Yeah but let's see who's gone since season 4 started:
    Joffrey
    Hound
    Tywin
    Shae
    Oberyn
    Jojen
    Lysa
    Ygritte
    Styr
    Pyp
    Grenn
    Locke

Now obviously a few characters are more involved than others, but I think the same can be said for the newcomers. Eg Hotah won't be doing much on his own, and the Sand Snakes are pretty much a three for the price of one deal so far.

That's Quentyn, Arianne is the heir to Dorne as she's older so unless she and Quentyn both die then Trystane has no claim. What annoys me is that if they confirm that Trystane is heir and cut Arianne it pretty much means that she's another pointless POV (like Quent pretty much) with no impact on the endgame. Cutting her pretty much verifies than Aegon's plot is pointless because it's geared towards him marrying her to get Dorne on his side. At least Quentyn's story was resolved in one book, I don't think I'd be happy waiting years to find out Arianne was a red herring.

You're right I had the names mixed up. To paraphrase A Podcast of Ice and Fire I will flip a table if Arianne isn't in the tv show. She's a great character and one I thought HBO would take full advantage of.

Just reading one or two articles on Arriane's apparent axe from the show and jaysus, people really didn't take it too well on twitter. Accusing the runners of sexism to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

At least there won't be a Arianne/Jamie love story!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Has it been confirmed that Arianne is being dropped or is that just speculation at this stage?

I would have thought that she would be a perfect character for hbo to focus on. Hell, she even has a sex scene in the book that fills an entire chapter basically

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that Arianne is being dropped or is that just speculation at this stage?

I would have thought that she would be a perfect character for hbo to focus on. Hell, she even has a sex scene in the book that fills an entire chapter basically

According to Time, apparently in his official character bio Trsytane is referred to as the heir to Dorne. That's what has some people thinking Arianne is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

According to Time, apparently in his official character bio Trsytane is referred to as the heir to Dorne. That's what has some people thinking Arianne is gone.

Ah I see so it's just speculation then. Could be true of course and her character is being merged with the sand snakes. But could just as easily be a typo by someone who thought that Trystane was the heir to Dorne because he's a male

Hope it's not true because I really liked Arianne in the books and enjoyed the Dorne storyline in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Just reading one or two articles on Arriane's apparent axe from the show and jaysus, people really didn't take it too well on twitter. Accusing the runners of sexism to boot.

Sexism? This show?
    Hibbeler wrote: »

Just give it to Trystane. Bout time we get more male nudity in this show.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Doran - Doesn't quite look the part to me.

I think this is a pretty good move. Siddig was really good in DS9, I can't wait to hear him deliver the line
    "Fire and blood!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think this is a pretty good move. Siddig was really good in DS9, I can't wait to hear him deliver the line
    "Fire and blood!"

Except he won't deliver that line if certain other characters are cut. He might give a beetles speech instead. :pac:

For for no Greyjoys yet, if they are cut why did we bother reading the last 2 books at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,954 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Daith wrote: »
    Sexism? This show?

Just give it to Trystane. Bout time we get more male nudity in this show.

The last thing the show needs is more nudity. Unless it's Nathalie Emmanuel. Then it's ok, but still a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭Daith

Liam O wrote: »
    The last thing the show needs is more nudity. Unless it's Nathalie Emmanuel. Then it's ok, but still a waste of time.

If there is to be nudity then at least equal nudity!

Sure you're going to hate Season 5 anyway Liam O. Might as well enjoy some parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think Season 5 is going to suffer a big ratings drop if they focus too much on Dorne.

I always thought that bringing books 4 and 5 to the screen would be a struggle anyways after how good A Storm of Swords was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,390 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think Season 5 is going to suffer a big ratings drop if they focus too much on Dorne.

I always thought that bringing books 4 and 5 to the screen would be a struggle anyways after how good A Storm of Swords was.

It's not going to be as drawn out though, there is plenty of material between 2 books to keep the show as entertaining as previous seasons. Jon/Stannis/Mance, Cersei, Jamie/Brienne, Arya, Reek/Ramsey/Roose, and Dany have full arcs to break up the Dorne and Iron Islands stuff.

Advertisement