Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Comments

• Huge update to the Youtube app

Edit: After a few minutes of playing with it, sweet Jesus, it's like a totally different app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Huge update to the Youtube app

Edit: After a few minutes of playing with it, sweet Jesus, it's like a totally different app.

Take that, windows phone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Amazing update to the youtube app. So fluid and fast. Little video windows are awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

EGriff wrote: »
    Take that, windows phone. :pac:

Really...

Really...

I'm obviously joking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭alanc2003

just got the one at the weekend, great phone i have to say. did anyone ever find something decent to replace the usless notification system? the led only flashes for 5 mins and then turns off

Lightflow lets you control it and change the colours.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rageconsulting.android.lightflowlite

But you'll need the pro version for some stuff like facebook notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are ye all sideloading the new Youtube app? I uninstalled and reinstalled on Play and its still sh1tty old 4.5, what am I doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Thargor wrote: »
    Are ye all sideloading the new Youtube app? I uninstalled and reinstalled on Play and its still sh1tty old 4.5, what am I doing wrong?

I downloaded the apk and installed it. Worked okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

petes wrote: »
    I downloaded the apk and installed it. Worked okay.

Yup. When I sideloaded, a box popped up saying that the older version of the app would be removed but the settings would carry over to the new app

• Advertisement

I got the update direct from the play store. I'm on 4.3 though and a Nexus 4 so maybe the roll out is going by android version or device and not geographically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

EGriff wrote: »
    I'm obviously joking.

You were obviously taking about the love between Google and Microsoft :)
    http://readwrite.com/2013/08/16/microsoft-google-antitrust-battle-over-windows-phone-youtube-app#awesm=~of5TUlVElQDqAy

Didn't know about this until I googled it

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Howlin1

What's a good launcher for 4.1? I am currently using Go Launcher, is there any better one than that or would they be about the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Howlin1 wrote: »
    What's a good launcher for 4.1? I am currently using Go Launcher, is there any better one than that or would they be about the same?

You could give this one a try
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86015026&postcount=4973

• Registered Users Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Drastic on the play store now.it's a ds emulator,I find it to be very good.s
    It is a bit expensive but the games run flawlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,141 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Swiftkey has been updated to include Swiftkey cloud (not yet used it). It's now on a 50% off sale for a 'limited time' (€1.99). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

A must-have app if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I've been using Atom for a few months now, which is longer than I've used any other launcher. Definitely worth a look if you're after something clean and not cartoonish. Some great icon packs, too, and most themes are free, as is the launcher.

Just got that update for the Youtube app pushed out, meh tbh, still a pain in the ass to use, completely impossible to see whats trending, just stupid reccomendations for stuff thats barely relevant to what I subscribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Nova is the best launcher IMO

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

God I love the updated YouTube app. Perfect for me because I always have screen rotation disabled except when I'm watching videos so it was annoying having to switch it on and off. But the full screen on this is rotated by default so I don't have to turn it on + no matter how awkward I'm holding it, it will stay there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    God I love the updated YouTube app. Perfect for me because I always have screen rotation disabled except when I'm watching videos so it was annoying having to switch it on and off. But the full screen on this is rotated by default so I don't have to turn it on + no matter how awkward I'm holding it, it will stay there :D

+1 The new youtube app is excellent.Then again I have no interest in what's trending.

Whats excellent about it? I had to go into settings and About to make sure it was the new version. A pointless windowed mode appears when you try to exit with the back arrow so theres a couple of extra keypresses required to exit it, thats really the only thing I can see, I dont get why people are claiming its like a whole new app, it loads the videos at the same speed and is just as slow to load the first page. Who is honestly that busy on their phone or tablet that they want to watch a video in a small window while doing something else?

Whats excellent about it?

Connection to my TV's works much better
    Landscape view in tablet is much more useful
    Playing a video and being able to scroll my video lists is extremely useful to me
    Nice design touch's that I appreciate

Granted functionally there's no major improvement but I find it excellent but then again I also found the previous version to do it's job just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

The only real update I see is that it doesn't seem to jump back to the start of the list after watching a video. Used to wreck my head before. Not sure what monkey authorised that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭SteM

Using Action Launcher on my HTC one and am loving it. The only one I've paid for and am still using. Shutters etc really add to the Android experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Connection to my TV's works much better
    Landscape view in tablet is much more useful
    Playing a video and being able to scroll my video lists is extremely useful to me
    Nice design touch's that I appreciate

Granted functionally there's no major improvement but I find it excellent but then again I also found the previous version to do it's job just as well.

Is there a problem with seeing the full video description on the new YouTube app. I press the down arrow V yoke to get to the description, but if the description runs for more than a couple of lines, there doesn't seem to be any way to see the full thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

dulpit wrote: »
    Swiftkey has been updated to include Swiftkey cloud (not yet used it). It's now on a 50% off sale for a 'limited time' (€1.99). https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.touchtype.swiftkey

A must-have app if you ask me.

Have the sorted out the lag from the last version? I used to swear by swiftkey, had it on my s3 and Nexus 7 but had to switch back to the stock Google Keyboard on both after swiftkey became unbearably slow. Took ages for the keyboard to appear when I tapped a search box, constantly hung when typing. Has this been fixed?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Is there a problem with seeing the full video description on the new YouTube app. I press the down arrow V yoke to get to the description, but if the description runs for more than a couple of lines, there doesn't seem to be any way to see the full thing.

What device are you using? I think they messed it up for some screen sizes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

What device are you using? I think they messed it up for some screen sizes.

Samsung Galaxy - screen spec is 4.0 WVGA (800x480) TFT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭steve_r

Have the sorted out the lag from the last version? I used to swear by swiftkey, had it on my s3 and Nexus 7 but had to switch back to the stock Google Keyboard on both after swiftkey became unbearably slow. Took ages for the keyboard to appear when I tapped a search box, constantly hung when typing. Has this been fixed?

Did the exact same thing. Using Swift key with something like Evernote was painful. Stock keyboard not as handy but no real lag.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement