Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guide - the Budget Gaming PC

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Thanks but i came across a computer on ebay for €200
    heres the basic spec
    Intel Quad Q6700
    GF 8600gt 1gb
    500gb hdd
    and 8gb ram.

i have xp pro x64 lying around on a cd somewhere so i'll be makig use of the 8gb ram:D

your prob confused how its so cheap....so am i.lol
    You'll only make use of the 8GBs if you have programs that will take advantage of it. 4GBs should be enough for most people. Also last I heard xp 64-bit had rubbish driver support so you may be stuck there. The graphics card isn't great (ignore the 1GB part as that card can't use more than 256MBs). I can't see how that computer has a q6700 and is only €200. Is it buy4now? If so I'd say it's a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭TheZenWithin

Thanks almighty cushion but i looked through the sellers history and they've sold 1000s of things with 98.6% good feedback...so the seller is legit.im only going to be running this on a 17 inch monitor so i dont need to much gfx horsepower but if i do i'll buy a 9600 or something.games make use of the 8gb ram dont they?well newer ones anyway.
    and i'm confused.how can the gfx card only use 256mb of the 1gb?

I thought it was a scam at first and its not buy it now either.but there is nothing to suggest its a scam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

Any chance you could link to one of these pcs you talk of on ebay, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Q6700 is €170, link please?

Best deal I have seen on a pc on ebay is this from Ankermann
    NVidia GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    4Go RAM DDR2 800MHz KINGSTON
    MSI P43 Neo-F
    SAMSUNG 500Go SATA-2
    LG GH20LS 20x DVD-RW
    7.1 Audio
    52 in1 Cardreader
    Case Ankermann
    CPU Coolermaster
    600Watt

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Core-2-Quad-2-66GHz-NVIDIA-GTX-260-4Go-RAM-800MHz_W0QQitemZ150273729795QQihZ005QQcategoryZ3736QQcmdZViewItem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

toco123 wrote: »
    Ati havent brought out anything good since DirectX9. And the 3850 is a waste of money if anyone brings that up.

72zy3tvsl1vui70o1xn1.jpg

Don't waste this money on anything else!!

Hi toco123 i was just wondering is that site reliable?
    Im looking to buy a gaming pc for the first time and dont really know a whole lot about them, what im looking for is a system that will allow me to play the newest pc games and next gen gaming but im not sure how to go about it yet if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be excellent!
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Also i dont really understand about motherboards either :confused: so i wouldnt really know what to pick while building a gaming pc but i might give it a shot and post it up here and then maybe you guys could help out! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

kevovek wrote: »
    Also i dont really understand about motherboards either :confused: so i wouldnt really know what to pick while building a gaming pc but i might give it a shot and post it up here and then maybe you guys could help out! Thanks.
    Sure, stick it up :)

66b1_2.JPG
    Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz
    Nvidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    LG GH20LS DVD-RW SecurDisc
    SATA Dual Layer DVD±R 20x
    4GB KINGSTON DDR2 RAM
    x 2GB 800MHz | PC6400
    Code-Com 600Watt
    A-DIS Power LowNoise
    120mm Fan
    ATX & PFC
    Cooler Master
    LGA775 CPU Cooler
    checked & secured for transport

ATX | Frontsidebus 800/1066/1333 MHz
    Chipset: Intel G31 | Intel 82801GB (ICH7)
    RAM: Max. 4GB DDR2 800MHz
    Ethernet LAN: 10/100/1000 MBit/s | 7x USB 2.0
    RAIDport :4xS-ATA RAID Level 0,1,0+1,5,JBOD
    1x IDE | 4x Serial ATA3.0Gb/s
    3x PCI | 1x PCI-X x1 | 1x PCI-X x16
    1x Floppy | 1x Parallel | 1x Serial | 2x PS2 mouse/keyboard
    7.1 Channel RealTek ALC888 High Definition Audio
    1x line in | line out | mic in | HD 6CH I/O
    CPU Parameter Recall
    CrashFree BIOS 3
    hahaha jesus sorry about the mess ^^^
    Im not to sure about ankermann though either?

oh and the price is about 600
    See im clueless as to whether i actually need all the stuff above, like in lamens terms i want to be able to play games like Call of duty 4 and crysis basically and have a good enough systems to run them without a hitch and with good graphics

Anyone? Please?

• Advertisement

Ankermann are very good, I got 2 pc's off them in last 12 months.

One above is decent, but this one is class and only €60 more.

Graphics card is high end, it will play every game at max settings and it includes a 2.66ghz Quad core cpu.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Core-2-Quad-2-66GHz-NVIDIA-GTX-260-4GB-RAM-800MHz_W0QQitemZ150276434661QQihZ005QQcategoryZ179QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    NVidia GeForce GTX 260 896MB
    4GB RAM DDR2 800MHz KINGSTON
    Mainboard MSI P43 Neo-F
    SAMSUNG 500GB SATA-2 HDD
    LG GH20LS 20x DVD-RW SecurDisc
    7.1 Channel Superior Quality Audio
    DSL Ready Gigabit Ethernet LAN
    52in1 Cardreader | Ankermann Case
    Cooler Master CPU cooler | 600Watt

The GTX 260 is a €250 card, while the 8800gt is €110 card.

Honestly the pc I linked you too will eat through any game, it can even play Crysis on high settings.

Wow thanks for the find, i was looking at the NVidia GeForce GTX 260 on their website earlier today looks pretty sweet, When i saw the prices i thought it might be to good to be true especially on ebay but i was on ankermanns website earlier aswell and they look fairly top notch thanks for the help! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

Thanks but i came across a computer on ebay for €200
    heres the basic spec
    Intel Quad Q6700
    GF 8600gt 1gb
    500gb hdd
    and 8gb ram.

i have xp pro x64 lying around on a cd somewhere so i'll be makig use of the 8gb ram:D

your prob confused how its so cheap....so am i.lol

i think xp can only use 3 gigs of that 8gig so the extra 5 gig will only be wasting power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rscrash94

Hey, can someone help me with a computer that would be able to play Warhammer Online at a reasonable quality please? I haven't a clue where to go... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

gino85 wrote: »
    i think xp can only use 3 gigs of that 8gig so the extra 5 gig will only be wasting power

No, 64-bit XP can address all 8 gigs.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

it just has terrible driver support!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Ok following on from asking about the case and motherboard I have the finalised list of what im going to put together here, what does everyone think of it?

Harddrive = http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4QXH&CategorySelectedId=11154&NavigationKey=11154,361720000,47240000,50480000

Case = http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332085

CPU = http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=8790&agid=398

MotherBoard = http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=336470

Graphics card = http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=22760&agid=554

Ram = http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=50TV&CategorySelectedId=11150&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11150,4294953596

Power Supply = http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=338686

So would that be ok or does anything seem out of place?

Its mainly to use as a gaming computer,monitor I have is fine so no need to buy a new one.
    Comes to about 767 total without delivery.

Plays everything out now perfectly.

68od4forlejqqtsj51x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭LickiRake

lc248bwbtqoejs5hpvg2.jpg

Look Good?

Any improvements to suggest?

Why bother with SLI unless you're playing at massive resolutions?
    Doesn't the 8800GTX outperform two GTs?
    You can even get a 9800GTX for the same money
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=23273&agid=554

• Advertisement

5uspect wrote: »
    Why bother with SLI unless you're playing at massive resolutions?
    Doesn't the 8800GTX outperform two GTs?
    You can even get a 9800GTX for the same money
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=23273&agid=554

im tryna create a system that can run games on my 32" tv, and look good, through DVI to HDMI, sorry i forgot to mention that, think this will do thr trick?

Well from my limited knowledge SLi is only of benefit for massive resolutions 1600x1200 +.
    For HD TV at 1080p the resolution is 1920×1080 according to google. So this would probably be the threshold for HD gaming, yes.

5uspect wrote: »
    Well from my limited knowledge SLi is only of benefit for massive resolutions 1600x1200 +.
    For HD TV at 1080p the resolution is 1920×1080 according to google. So this would probably be the threshold for HD gaming, yes.

thanks man, hard to get decent recomendations from people when it comes to a HD gaming rig. Any little helps, thanks :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Your 32" is probably only 720p. At that resolution sli would be pretty useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Hey, looking to make a gaming pc completely from the ground up, no case or anything. Is it possible on a 700 euro budget? Its solely for games, got a laptop for classes. Some examples would be great :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Your 32" is probably only 720p. At that resolution sli would be pretty useless.

Not to mention 256mb of vram on those GT's you picked makes the cards crap at those resolutions at which Sli benefits, so it's a bit of a pointless exercise entirely. 9600GSO/8800GS cards are cheaper and faster at high resolutions. You'd be spending 200 euro for 100 euro performance to be honest.

700 euro is loads to build a gaming machine. Here's what I'm now building for example, it comes to 550 - leaving you with enough to change the processor to a better one, go to 4gb ram, and so on, and still be under 700 including delivery.

Untitled-23.jpg

Even at the 550 machine above there is no game it would not tear through at high settings. There are some things too you might change - I choose a Matx board for example because I want a small PC. I also normally cheap on the motherboard to save money elsewhere - but don't confuse budget with bad - there are plenty of brilliant, cheap motherboards and other parts out there that are easily distinguishable from the genuine horrible budget parts (i.e a 50 euro E2160 processor is brilliant for games when overclocked, a 40 euro Celeron E1200 is not).

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

friend has two 8800 OC GT and they are crap, well not crap, But not really that good, hes not happy with them, for the price ur better with a single card like a 9800gtx or sumtin more expensive

as someone said, a 8800gtx does perform as good as two of those if not better, ive seen it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I was really only pointing out the limitations of the 256mb of ram - two 8800GT's are still extremely fast, to call 8800GT OC Sli 'crap' would be a bit silly. In some games that properly utilitize Sli, 2 stocks 8800GT's are a lot faster then 8800Ultra (in Call of Duty 4 the slower 9600GT Sli is faster then 8800Ultra) - and 8800GTX prices are still totally unrealistic, they were never dropped sufficiently to match the new generation of cards. I had 2 8800GS cards until recently, considerably slower then 8800GT Sli (384mb 192bit), was running Call of Dut 4 at 1920x1200 maxed out settings AA/AF at a high fps - your friend must be gaming at 2560x1600 to be very unhappy with 8800GT OC Sli! Unless of course he paid ridiculous money without really knowing what he was doing, the fact that he bought 2 OC cards suggests.... possibly....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Hey chaps, ye'z helped me out before for my da but this time I need your help getting a budget Gaming PC. By budget I mean budget. The thing is I need to get a monitor as well (not big). If I could do this for 500 that'd be great. One thing though, I do a bit of programming so I'de like the priority to be in the processor for compiling and having lots of stuff going at the same time.

Anyway, give it a whirl if you please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Probably a stupid question, I got my PC custom built from Komplett 2 years ago. Looking at getting another but to me it looks like they don't do PCs at all any more, and I can't find the custom builder on their site, is all this gone now?

Can't believe it.

Advertisement