Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where Have you Had Your Mac Serviced?

• 13-07-2014 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

& How was your experience?

Where have you had your Apple Stuff Serviced? 21 votes

Compu b
    0% 0 votes
    Mactivate
    38% 8 votes
    Stream Solutions
    23% 5 votes
    Galmac Computers
    14% 3 votes
    Screenway
    9% 2 votes
    Typetec
    9% 2 votes
    Other
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 and other disasters

I've had mine repaired by Stream twice. First time was great, second time wasn't. They damaged it cosmetically whilst repairing it and wouldn't fix the casing damage. NI apple store is amazing to deal with, I drive North for any work needed now. I live in hope we get an apple store here.....someday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Called Express Tech from central Dublin three times over a few days and bla bla I'll call you back, they never did. Fair enough if they don't want the business but all they had to do is say so instead of stringing me along.

Dealt with Right Click on Camden St Dublin then and they were super,I couldn't ask for better service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

I've had mine repaired by Stream twice. First time was great, second time wasn't. They damaged it cosmetically whilst repairing it and wouldn't fix the casing damage. NI apple store is amazing to deal with, I drive North for any work needed now. I live in hope we get an apple store here.....someday!

Wow drive north from cork? (I assume because you used Stream) are other service companies that bad and scheduling a genius bar appointment and all. sounds like a lot of hassle. do they ship the machine back to you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Had mine serviced in CompuB recently. Very fast and good service, and fair price.

No complaints from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

How much did you pay for a service? I've got the "Service Battery" notification on mine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I paid €142 for a replaced fan plus heat sync on a late 2011 macbook pro. Buying the parts online and doing it myself would have cost me almost as much, and they did it within 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Greentree_uk

wow 232 views and only 8 votes.. 3.5% guess macs are reliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 and other disasters

Wow drive north from cork? (I assume because you used Stream) are other service companies that bad and scheduling a genius bar appointment and all. sounds like a lot of hassle. do they ship the machine back to you?

I was living in Cork at the time, not any more! Belfast is only a short spin from Kildare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

wow 232 views and only 8 votes.. 3.5% guess macs are reliable!

Most likely because of the wording, why would anyone get a service on their Mac? I'd try "where have you got your mac fixed|repaired?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Most likely because of the wording, why would anyone get a service on their Mac? I'd try "where have you got your mac fixed|repaired?"

Agreed. I seen the title and thought, who the hell services a computer unless its broken.

I get the parts and do it myself. Actually been getting a good few old MacPro's 2nd hand and having great fun messing with parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

used Mactivate when my mobo failed. couldn't complain about the job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

CompuB. Fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

Used Mactivate recently. Used the courier pick up and drop back service. Gave detailed description of the issue over the phone and was told it was either display panel, or 'hopefully' just the back light board. Turned out to be the backlight board. Total turn around here was 4 working days. Happy with the service and job done, and they cleaned in behind the screen as well, as I noticed it was a lot clearer than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Used Stream in Cork. Found them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I've usually gone to BondiGroup for my repairs. Always been happy.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I've used Right-Click in Dublin twice. Once to fix a faulty fan and then to install an SSD. Great service, would use again.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    I've used Right-Click in Dublin twice. Once to fix a faulty fan and then to install an SSD. Great service, would use again.

Did the faulty fan sound like crickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Used Screenway before, maybe 5 years ago now... Was happy with them then, think it was work done under warranty.

While I've since replaced that macbook with a MBP Retina, it still works perfectly and is considered the "back up" :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

7upfree wrote: »
    Did the faulty fan sound like crickets?

No, it was just running at full speed the whole time but the temperature was fine. I downloaded a bunch of fan utilities to see if I could fix it and I cleaned out the vents but I couldn't sort it. Replacement fan did the job.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    No, it was just running at full speed the whole time but the temperature was fine. I downloaded a bunch of fan utilities to see if I could fix it and I cleaned out the vents but I couldn't sort it. Replacement fan did the job.

Thanks for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Mactivate for years. Nice people, efficient, know their stuff, charge a fair price, fast. Recommend them highly.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Compu-b in Galway - have three macbooks that have had to be dropped in there over the past nine months or so. For the most part I have had excellent service, have replaced two chargers under warranty no questions asked, though I did have an issue with a macbook air that needed a keyboard replacement - looked underneath it a couple of weeks later to find two screws loose, one missing completely. Was told by the guys there that it wasn't their responsibility as all screws are torqued down... The implication was that I had removed them myself, and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

Other than that one bad experience though I have found their workmanship to be comparable to dropping it into the apple store - one screen replacement, keyboard replacement and battery replacement later at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Used Mactivate once for a callback repair and they were quick and decent. Used Typetech once for another callback and found them slow and rather disinterested all round. Anything else since (One battery refit and HD replacements) has been Bondigroup and Dean is excellent to deal with and really helpful as well.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

mike_ie wrote: »
    I did have an issue with a macbook air that needed a keyboard replacement - looked underneath it a couple of weeks later to find two screws loose, one missing completely. Was told by the guys there that it wasn't their responsibility as all screws are torqued down... The implication was that I had removed them myself, and it left a sour taste in my mouth.

As an addition to my earlier post....

in the time since I have posted, a representative from compu-b has been in touch with me and has offered to remedy the situation mentioned above. In the interest of fairness I felt it was right to let that be known here, and as such, the one minor issue I had with their service has now been resolved. That kind of customer service means a lot and I'll happily be bringing my machines there again in the future.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I had a MBP battery give a service warning after a couple of hundred cycles. Apple support agreed to replace it as faulty and told me to bring it to the nearest reseller. The tech guy in my local CompuB refused to change it and wouldn't listen to me when I insisted that Apple has sanctioned the replacement.

He seemed more interested in showing off that his fancy diagnostic tool which flagged that I replaced the RAM. I wasn't impressed TBH.

I had to go back to Apple Support and sort out a trip to Mactivate.

Advertisement