Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

rugbyman wrote: »
    with respect Raskolnikov

you suggest
    "We need to see some serious moderation here. "

some serious contributions might be better.

By the way ,in that regard, is there/are there any other Irish based discussion forums where I might find any debate worth reading and perhaps learning from.
    I have looked at askabout money, perhaps not enough, but it did not appear any better?
    Rugbyman

Wouldnt be able to exchange views with irish banks on askabout nothing.com due to dictatorship running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dude240502

Is there a reason why shares were down by so much today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gmcpartlan

Your obviously taking the mickey again, ive been reading the last few posts in ere and im afraid the others are right. These forms are great ways for gathering information but its dosen't mean the usual suspects in ere have a crystal ball, somebody mentioned earlier about growing a pair of balls and invest or dont invest but stop asking questions like a 5 year old kid. Ive 20k in ere and I made that decision on my own back, nobody elses, You need to start reading newspapers on a continuous basis and doing your own research and stop finishing every sentence with a ?. Youll be surprised what info you can get from all the daily national and business news papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 silverburn

MARKET TALK: Goldman Likes Allied Irish Banks; Sector Mending
    Last update: 4/14/2010 2:39:02 AM
    0639 GMT [Dow Jones] Goldman Sachs takes a look at the Irish banking sector and says improved clarity on capital shortfall reduces key 'tail' risk in the restructuring process of the Irish banks. It expects both Allied Irish Banks (AIB) and Bank of Ireland (IRE) to ultimately emerge as smaller, yet more focused financial institutions. It upgrades AIB to buy from neutral, saying flexibility on asset disposals improves the risk reward balance. It says AIB could reduce its EUR7.4B capital shortfall by over 60% by selling its Polish, US, and UK assets. GS keeps BOI at buy, saying that bank is now one step away from raising equity and putting its capital concerns behind it. GS expects BOI to limit state ownership and emerge as a leading Irish financial institution. Goldman lifts its AIB price target to EUR2 from EUR1.50 and Bank of Ireland target to EUR2.20 from EUR2. (peter.nurse@dowjones.com)

silverburn wrote: »
    MARKET TALK: Goldman Likes Allied Irish Banks; Sector Mending
    Last update: 4/14/2010 2:39:02 AM
    0639 GMT [Dow Jones] Goldman Sachs takes a look at the Irish banking sector and says improved clarity on capital shortfall reduces key 'tail' risk in the restructuring process of the Irish banks. It expects both Allied Irish Banks (AIB) and Bank of Ireland (IRE) to ultimately emerge as smaller, yet more focused financial institutions. It upgrades AIB to buy from neutral, saying flexibility on asset disposals improves the risk reward balance. It says AIB could reduce its EUR7.4B capital shortfall by over 60% by selling its Polish, US, and UK assets. GS keeps BOI at buy, saying that bank is now one step away from raising equity and putting its capital concerns behind it. GS expects BOI to limit state ownership and emerge as a leading Irish financial institution. Goldman lifts its AIB price target to EUR2 from EUR1.50 and Bank of Ireland target to EUR2.20 from EUR2. (peter.nurse@dowjones.com)
    Lets hope EU doint strangle irish bank recovery with draconian conditions included with their approval for bkir and aib by possible Foced sell of PERFORMING and FUTURE Performing assets, e.g aibs polish bank stake bkir uks postbank along with unreasonable high cortier 1 in the shorterm, I hope EU understand how fragile irish banks are and doint strangle recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

ranger4 wrote: »
    Lets hope EU doint strangle irish bank recovery with draconian conditions included with their approval for bkir and aib by possible Foced sell of PERFORMING and FUTURE Performing assets, e.g aibs polish bank stake bkir uks postbank along with unreasonable high cortier 1 in the shorterm, I hope EU understand how fragile irish banks are and doint strangle recovery.

Let's hope the EU does what is necessary to prevent the utter calamity and devastation suffered on this country by the utter stupidity, ineptitude and ignorance of these two banks, Anglo, ILP and the others, from ever happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

Those two banks should never recieve a cent aid from the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Dabhach

WooPeeA wrote: »
    Those two banks should never recieve a cent aid from the government.

Shouldn't have, but did. That changes everything.

Bkir righs issue anouncement looks set to occur next week, Could see sp trading back to recent 1.90 range or even higher as investors want to take postion with the hope of buying more stock at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Dude240502

Do you think the event will be well flagged beforehand and I thought the consensus in here seemed to be that people thought that share price would fall in the wake of the rights issue?

• Advertisement

Dude240502 wrote: »
    Do you think the event will be well flagged beforehand and I thought the consensus in here seemed to be that people thought that share price would fall in the wake of the rights issue?

It will fall, of course. By definition, that always happens with rights issues. The question is, how stable will it make the bank. As low as the price is now, I'm not sure that a falling price is in itself anything much to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Dude grow a pair of balls and roll the dice instead of asking the same question over and over and over again.... Bank shares a currently a gamble so go on roll the dice and stop talking about it.

He used to use the username "glacier".

He just asks the exact same questions over and over and over.

It's bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

AARRRGH wrote: »
    He used to use the username "glacier".

He just asks the exact same questions over and over and over.

It's bizarre.

I knew there was something familiar about the line of questioning....

Rights announcement woint take place till may as a debt for Equity swap deal has to be concluded first.
    Do other investors feel we will see sp slowly retrace back to 1.60-1.70 before we break 1.90 again.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Rights announcement woint take place till may as a debt for Equity swap deal has to be concluded first.
    Do other investors feel we will see sp slowly retrace back to 1.60-1.70 before we break 1.90 again.

May I say that all this speculation about whether or not the bank will go to 1.60, or 1.80 or 2 or whatever is a completely wrong-headed way to approach the buying of shares. This is the kind of fast-buck thinking that caused the mess we're in in the first place. As a good rule of thumb, you sould be prepared to say goodbye to any money you invest in the market for five years at least. Shares should always be approached as a long term investment. Over time, they usually pay off. I've invested in the bank because I'm gambling they've stabalized and over time will return a handsome profit for the price they're trading at now, but there is no guarantee. The rule is 1) it's going to take time and 2) you might still lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭neil.p.b

Dabhach wrote: »
    May I say that all this speculation about whether or not the bank will go to 1.60, or 1.80 or 2 or whatever is a completely wrong-headed way to approach the buying of shares.

How is it? If someone today wanted to buy shares then are you saying that the only thing they should be concerned about is the price in five years time? What about buying as low as possible? Of course it's correct to try and predict where the price will go, if i feel it's going to drop back to 1.60 why on earth would i buy now?

And Ranger, i don't see it dropping that much, id be surprised if we saw 1.70. Too many people are going to want to get in before the RI. I'm hoping it will test the 1.90 mark again by friday, but i've lost my crystal ball so i can't be certain :)

Dabhach wrote: »
    May I say that all this speculation about whether or not the bank will go to 1.60, or 1.80 or 2 or whatever is a completely wrong-headed way to approach the buying of shares. This is the kind of fast-buck thinking that caused the mess we're in in the first place. As a good rule of thumb, you sould be prepared to say goodbye to any money you invest in the market for five years at least. Shares should always be approached as a long term investment. Over time, they usually pay off. I've invested in the bank because I'm gambling they've stabalized and over time will return a handsome profit for the price they're trading at now, but there is no guarantee. The rule is 1) it's going to take time and 2) you might still lose.

I daytrade stocks as well as holding mid-longterm postions, What is wrong with asking a question from other short-mid-longterm INVESTORS about their views with sp movements? personely i feel bkir sp will trend lower possibly back to 1.65-1.70 range before back to 1.90+.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Could someone please advise:

I bought 1000 BOI shares last year and want to buy some more. Should I wait until May for the rights issue or should I buy them now?

Warper wrote: »
    Could someone please advise:

I bought 1000 BOI shares last year and want to buy some more. Should I wait until May for the rights issue or should I buy them now?

It depends how much you have to invest in this stock. You could buy more now depending on how much that is, just be sure that when the rights issue comes around in a few weeks you have enough left over to take up your full offering (No point buying shares now at 1.80 that will stop taking up some of your RI at a discounted price). You'll have to do the math. No one knows the details of the RI yet but it will most likely be 1 for 1 at a price of around 1.30 (but this is just speculation).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Didi888

neil.p.b wrote: »
    It depends how much you have to invest in this stock. You could buy more now depending on how much that is, just be sure that when the rights issue comes around in a few weeks you have enough left over to take up your full offering (No point buying shares now at 1.80 that will stop taking up some of your RI at a discounted price). You'll have to do the math. No one knows the details of the RI yet but it will most likely be 1 for 1 at a price of around 1.30 (but this is just speculation).

I'm not the existing shareholders, can I buy them after the right issues at a discounted price? Or the RI must be given to the existing shareholders?

The RI is only offered to existing shareholders. However, once the the new shares are issued there will most likely be a drop in the market share price as a result of the dilution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Didi888

neil.p.b wrote: »
    The RI is only offered to existing shareholders. However, once the the new shares are issued there will most likely be a drop in the market share price as a result of the dilution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I cant believe this hasnt been posted on the thread yet today. Shares have strangely risen given the announcment.
    Bank of Ireland plans to raise €3.4bn

Bank of Ireland Plc, the country’s biggest bank by market value, plans to raise as much as €3.4bn to bolster capital as real-estate losses surge.

The bank plans to convert some of the government’s preference shares into equity, raising €1.04bn. The state will retain a maximum stake of 36pc

The placement of stock with institutional investors and the conversion of government preference shares will be at a price of €1.53, or 15pc less than the April 23 closing price.

link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 silverburn

tech2 wrote: »
    Shares have strangely risen given the announcment.

Very positive news and the shorts are getting squeezed. Just look at the share price after the US market opened. Great action. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

can't wait for a few more shares with the RI, surprised they went up today tbh, but nice all the same :)

It was good news, why is everyone so surprised about the rise? It should continue this week to 2 euro and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭RizzoJR

BANK OF IRELAND IS BEING FOLLOWED BY EVERYONE :(

PLEASE TALK ABOUT OTHER SHARES MORE UNDER THE RADAR

ITS HARDER TO MAKE MONEY ON STOCKS THAT THE BIG BOYS ARE FOLLOWING

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Shares being sold under the RI will be €1.53. It's a 15% discount on the last closing price of the share before this was announced, which was friday and they closed at €1.80

Info is here. scroll to page 27

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 IKnowYou

I have an account with ShareWatch and CREST holder.
    Greatly appreciate if anyone could answer a couple of questions regarding the rights issue:

Presumably I would need to wait for mail posted? or directly contact Sharewatch and tell them I accept RI?

Have the amount of money required prepared in my ShareWatch account? (how would I be paying for the RI shares?)

Advertisement