Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

lucky-colm wrote: »
    what happened anglo irish shares?
    will they ever be traded again i mean the govt isn't going to stay in the bank forever,
    and if they do trade again will the original shares be worth something again?

they were nationalised, there is now one shareholder in Anglo holding 100%. that is the Govt.

The bank would have gone bust if the Govt hadnt stepped in so the shares you may of had were worth nothing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭dragonbet

Hotshnot wrote: »
    Bobbbb

I would like to set up an account to be able to trade daily on Irish shares, what would you recommend?

Sharewatch are as good as any, thats only my personal experience though!! What kinda figures are ya hoping to day trade???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Daragh101

there could be value for the long term in aib and boi, you would have to be prepared to loose money on paper for the short term anyway ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Would there not be huge potential though at the moment though, they way things are down 50% one day & up 30 the next? Is anyone doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ppthink

Not long after boi and aib got the gov. bailout boi announced they were setting aside 1 billion for new mortgage. Sounds great but..........what new mortgages!?
    Houses are not being sold or very few. 700 million for s.m.e sounds great but they can up their interest rates on any company that they think they can. Banks will do what they can to make profit. But they wont take risk on any money now or they know they will pay for it in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

ya its bad when you have to get your solicitor to talk to your bank manager about financing your company or to apply for a mortgage,
    and if the banks keep up the closed door trade tactics they may aswell close altogethar.
    long term is the only real safe bet like 10 years , or course markets will fall and hopefully rise in that 10 years

aib may be down tomorrow with the news of the property fraud in the uk they lost between 50-60m alot of money

i would have thought aib would have there money insured against fraud and things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Deleted.
    Wrong thread

aib may be down tomorrow with the news of the property fraud in the uk they lost between 50-60m alot of money

That news didnt seem to do anything to the AIB share price today at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

aken account of in 2008 results would of been a double drop

what is proping up the share prices at the min in my eyes is that boi and aib are like a mafia your either with them or your not, and the fact that they have covered up the scandals so well, if half of it were to be broadcast we would have 2 more anglos on out hands,
    the difference is that anglo had no ordianry customers with passcards and so on ,but between boi and aib they have the majority population, so they hold the peoples money in accounts and they also benefit from the peoples money to bail them out , there getting it both ways

Thats why I said people are slowly withdrawing their money out of their accounts. I work as a courier and some of my deliveries are safes to hardware stores. I asked them why the sudden demand for safes. Thats what they told me. People want a safe to put their money into.
    One friend of mine was offered 25% discount on his loan if he changed his direct debit from every month to every week. The banks are in worse state than they say (UNDERSTATEMENT).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

ppthink wrote: »
    Thats why I said people are slowly withdrawing their money out of their accounts. I work as a courier and some of my deliveries are safes to hardware stores. I asked them why the sudden demand for safes. Thats what they told me. People want a safe to put their money into.
    One friend of mine was offered 25% discount on his loan if he changed his direct debit from every month to every week. The banks are in worse state than they say (UNDERSTATEMENT).

why people are taking their savings out of banks is beyond me, the gov will extend their banks gaurantee beyond 2010, whats the point in keeping money in the home even in a safe so some low life scum can break in threaten a memeber of family unless safe is opened etc, either get tooled up or leave your hard earned in safest place the bank.

temptation is another downer for the safe in the house alot of people think its burning a hole in the safe or their pocket so they have to spendit, if its in the bank ,may seem unsafe but your less likely to blow it all, and the country would have to go into liquidation before the banks swallowed up our money,

but i myself have 2 safes for other reasons ,documents and so on

Either people dont understand the gov. guarantee or they just dont the banks with their money anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

long term is the only real safe bet like 10 years

thats just not true, there is no safe bet with Irish Banks atm

Is this friend of yours a shopkeeper, small/medium business owner or a large multi-national with a substantial direct debit? How many zeros are we talking here????

He bought a van last year for 20,000. `Wouldnt say its a big loan

He bought a van last year for 20,000. `Wouldnt say its a big loan

Well your friends definitely, DEFINITELY [EMAIL="bull/@#!ing"]bull/@#!ing[/EMAIL] you cos I have, and know people, with 50 times that amount borrowed and the banks aint offering them discounts to change the loan agreement. Its that kind of "made up" fiction that caused the run on the banks. Complete scaremongering!!

• Advertisement

Saw the new agreement.
    What is causing the run on the banks is mostly their own fault. When you deregulate the financial sector what is happening is no surprise.
    If you deregulate any sector it will happen.
    That is why you need regulation, right!
    I am guessing you are heavily invested in banks.
    If so, best of luck.

Another quick €2000+ from the banks today.

Easy money. Quick in and out on the same day.

Been using the paddy power trader demo.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Will open an account next week.
    Are you using it to gain or through a brokerage.

is it any good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭FlyOver

bobbbb wrote: »
    Another quick €2000+ from the banks today.

Easy money. Quick in and out on the same day.

You made €2000+? could you explain how?

FlyOver wrote: »
    You made €2000+? could you explain how?

I explained my strategy in a couple of posts in this thread.

what would be the best account, and who with, if i wanted th trade a couple of times a mounth........ nothing big just like 600-700 a pop.......

i used sharewatch small traders acc its 50 euro a trade but it can eat up alot of your profit..

Daragh101 wrote: »
    what would be the best account, and who with, if i wanted th trade a couple of times a mounth........ nothing big just like 600-700 a pop.......

i used sharewatch small traders acc its 50 euro a trade but it can eat up alot of your profit..

Spreadbetting is the best for a lot small trades on a regular basis.

Make damned sure you know how to use it first though to make sure you prevent any losses from running away on you.

paddypowertrader have a simulator. Play with that for a few weeks and get to know all the pitfalls so you can make sure you avoid them.

ya i will give it a look ,although heard spread betting was very risky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

bobbbb wrote: »
    I explained my strategy in a couple of posts in this thread.

Well its hardly a strategy is it to day trade a rising stock?

I know a few up to 100 grand so far on BKIR on hardly huge punts at 12c.

The fear that was on this forum was ridiculous especially as nationalisation prob would of returned a minimum 100% profit from the 12c mark though one would have to wait.

I would now caution not to get caught in hype. nothing rises like this without a pullback and a less than exciting bank plan Tuesday is all it will take for a nice crash down.

Advertisement