Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "I hate U2" thread

Options
  • 04-02-2005 10:48am

In response to all those whining U2 fans, I would just like to say, I hate them and have no intention of going to the gig. And before I get a barrage of "Nyeah Nyeah Bono's a saint, This country wouldn't be the same without U2" etc. Don't bother. This is a thread where we disparage U2 and all they stand for.
    Fellow U2 Loathers, lets discuss.... :)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Haha finally someone who agrees with me,
    The guy is a fùcking tool! The rest of the band are ok but they aint nothing special
    Down with u2!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Awww ... poor Papa Smut is cranky 'cos he didn't get a ticket.

Boo hoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i don't hate them personally - just find their music rather bland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane™

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

I'll second that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I mean, who would name themselves like a German underground train system
    I love this thread as I hate U2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, Boards just isn't the same today. Front page is just filled with people moaning about tickets. I couldn't be less interested, if someone actually walked up to me in the street and handed me free tickets I'd probably just give them away (or sell them, ha!). I don't see what all the fuss is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭littlejay

GaRtH_V wrote:
    The guy is a fùcking tool! The rest of the band are ok but they aint nothing special
    Down with u2!
    used to like them
    me dad brought me to the dandilion market years ago. and i saw the guys busk.
    i like the joshua three album and a few early ones . rattle and rum after that,
    i cant stand to look at that prikkks face.
    my mother is in her 60s and she asked me 1 question on u2.
    made the most sense to me.
    she said. why dosnt bono go around trying to save the world as paul houson?
    his identity is only of bono. he lives in the same charachter 24/7
    he never switches off.
    great point mammy .lol

All the fuss is the FACT (I hate to say it) that they are the biggest group ever from Ireland. But the awful thing is, Bono could release an album solely consisting of him farting into a microphone and it wouldn't be called the worst album ever recorded in the world, it would be called "Challenging, takes more than one listen, a grower"

GRR!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Down with u2!
    Finally? Doesn't everyone hate them? Bill Bailey does a class analysis of the Edge's guitar playin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Gilgamesh wrote:

I thought they were named after an American spy plane...?

1563p1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Gilgamesh wrote:
    Within the German underground train system I thought U2 referred to specific lines as opposed to an entire system :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I have grown not to mind thier music, but I still maintain that their die-hard
    fans are gimps and as for Bono himself, I can't stand him. His antics on stage in the North at the time of the Good Friday Agreement was sickening opportunism. It was like he came from nowhere and delivered peace to Ireland and an end to The Troubles. Really, what had he got to do with it at all?

I remember a satirical article in "theonion.com" which reported on African children personally requesting Bono to come and save them. Just about summed him up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Anton17

How does Bill Bailey analyse edges guitar playing?

p.pete wrote:
    Within the German underground train system I thought U2 referred to specific lines as opposed to an entire system :eek:

you are right, that's why I didn't say 'the german underground system' ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Plays a really crap riff with all of the effects on, so it sounds like U2. Then one at a time he takes them off til it turns out he's only playin 2 chords the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

hes doing the edge "wall of sound effects" type of thing then equipment malfunction they all switch off and he is playing twinkle twinkle little star on one string :D , very funny, on his new part troll dvd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

bono is such a saint, he like believes in feeding hungry people. Ya right. only said he'd play outdoor gigs in ireland because he didn't want to do 10days in his own country. Also i don't see the almighty U2 who spend their time fighting for peoples rights donating the profits from "how to dismember an atomic chicken" to the tsunami appeal. or offering free soup to homeless people in his hotel for just one day. Bono could take a long walk off a short pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

They really dont deserve the respect and success they have. I would be hard pushed to find a more bland band...in EVERY way.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭seagizmo

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Bland! Understatement of 2005 so far.

Their middle of the road, take no risks rock is just vomit, it's no different to the rest of that pop crap.

Why don't they work with good producers anymore, wasn't it Howie B who did Pop. At least that was an interesting album whatever you opinion is of Boner!

SG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I don't care for the last two albums, they are indeed middle of the road. Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa however are not and are great albums in my view. Achtung Baby is a fine album but has possibly dated a little bit. Joshua Tree is interesting conceptually and has good lyrics.

Overall, even the "middle of the road" U2 are a lot better than most of those crap nu-metal and new wave punk type bands. I never thought punk was very interesting the first time around, and these crap imitators are even less interesting.

Oh sorry, I forgot this was a U2 haters' thread. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭seagizmo

Overall, even the "middle of the road" U2 are a lot better than most of those crap nu-metal and new wave punk type bands. I never thought punk was very interesting the first time around, and these crap imitators are even less interesting.

Have to agree with you there hawkmoon269, but as you quite rightly pointed out, this is the U2 haters thread.

Maybe it's a new thread called "people who think U2 could/should and can do better?" would be more appropriate.

SG

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst

thought it would be adequate, Mwahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

"Would you deny for others
    What you demand for yourself?"

Bono could not be reached for comment as he was stepping off his private jet and into his limousine.

hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

U2 are the modern equivalent of Dire Straits, totally ah **** it what's the point, i just can't stand them.

I once had the "pleasure" of meeting Bonio and took great delight in calling him a poseur. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

THEY ARE THE BIGGEST BLAND IN THE WORLD!!
    for the most part i hate the music but theyve had there moments then again
    if you throw enough darts at the board....
    i dont so much hate the band as hate the unflinching support they get just cos they are from little old ireland.
    i also hate the way in recent years they borrowed/stole/bought ideas/concepts/& entire songs from other people & were let away with it by critics & fans alike.
    when you think of the "dream team" who "produce" (or possibly write the entire fukking ) albums i.e eno/lanois/lillywhite/etc etc you'd wonder how they turn out such piles of drivel.bill bailey was spot on.
    in their defence i'd say at least they aint westlife...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I Hate U2 !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think they have an album full of good songs at the most. I think they are the most overrated band in the world tbh. Irish people love them because they are Irish and they've made it, Americans love them because they are Irish. I think Bono has a very annoying voice, and I think “the edge” rarely produces anything skilful on his guitars.

How controversial is that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I Hate U2 !

Well said there Mr Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Their music just reminds me of radio stations like 98fm and fm104 these days.. irritating and middle of the road.

I like a few of their songs, but generally if they come on the radio I switch off. At this point in time, even though their new material is always on the radio, I couldn't sing any of it.. Forgettable.

Bland. Like 'spreadable' butter!

K.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Interesting factiod - before they were U2 they were called The Hype
    how appropirate!

I think its wrong to hate U2 after all without them we would never have had Catus World News, Aslan, Auto de Fe, In Tua Nua, Sinead O' Conner..er

I HATE U2 :eek:

Mike.

Advertisement