Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reception of RTE etc.

• 31-01-2005 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭

This is correspondence I have had with RTE over the last few days. Am I alone in thinking it is bizarre that the RTE person feels the problem lies with Sky or ntl?

To: info@rte.ie
    Subject: Re: Reception of RTE TV
    Sent: Monday, January 31, 2005 12:56 PM
    Hi again
    Maybe I did not make myself clear in my original email. RTE is my service providor. I do not wish to subscribe to Sky or ntl to receive the national channels. I can receive all the BBC channels and ITV3 without having a subscription. I would like to receive the irish channels also on the same terms.
    Regards

info@rte.ie wrote:

Dear
    Many thanks for your email. Usually these chanels are available simply through the TV cable that extends from your TV to the wall and special arials are not usually neccesary. However, seeing as the reception is bad, it sounds as though there may be a problem with your service provider, for example, if you are using a splitter box in your house from which many TV's are connected, or if the TV lead coming into your house from outside is faulty.

I suggest that you telephone your service provider, (eg: NTL/Sky etc) they should then come out to your house and check that all the connections are working correctly. If all this is in order and the problem persists, please phone 'the link house' here in RTÉ, their number is 01) 208 2259 or phone us here in Information on 01) 208 3434 where we will assist you further.

Kind Regards,
    RTÉ PR/Information Dept.

Hi
    I live in Clonsilla, Dublin 15, and I would like to receive RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4. Can you please advise me as to the type of antenna necessary to receive these stations? I have tried using an amplified indoor UHF/VHF aerial but the quality of reception is poor.
    I am a current TV licence holder.
    Regards

******************************************************************************
    The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged.
    It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this e-mail by anyone else
    is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
    copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance
    on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
    Please note that emails to, from and within RTÉ may be subject to the Freedom
    of Information Act 1997 and may be liable to disclosure.
    ******************************************************************************

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi I had a same problem and I rung RTE and spoke too the engineering dept who were very helpfull. Its worth a try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Ironic... Second time in a week I've seen a broadcaster's official e-mail misspell the word 'aerial'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Well I have to admit, between your e-mail and their reply I am confused!! Perhaps you can clarify if you have CATV or have a rooftop aerial?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

joolsveer wrote:
    I live in Clonsilla, Dublin 15, and I would like to receive RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4. Can you please advise me as to the type of antenna necessary to receive these stations? I have tried using an amplified indoor UHF/VHF aerial but the quality of reception is poor
    many new houses have foil lined plaster board , which does not bode well for the reception of TV / Wireless / mobile phones.
    I'd suggest an external antenna - have a quick look around to see if any of the neighbours have one (doubt it unless they have a clear view to wales :D )

maybe they have a bot reading the letters or a reply template..
    so much for DTT if that is how the PR dept view people without connections.

Also the license is not for RTE, it's to use the reciever so the fact you can see UK channels has no bearing .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

BrianD wrote:
    Well I have to admit, between your e-mail and their reply I am confused!! Perhaps you can clarify if you have CATV or have a rooftop aerial?

What is CATV?

I have a motorised FTA dish and I also an FTV card which enables me get ITV 1, 2, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

• Advertisement

many new houses have foil lined plaster board , which does not bode well for the reception of TV / Wireless / mobile phones.
    I'd suggest an external antenna - have a quick look around to see if any of the neighbours have one (doubt it unless they have a clear view to wales :D )

maybe they have a bot reading the letters or a reply template..
    so much for DTT if that is how the PR dept view people without connections.

Also the license is not for RTE, it's to use the reciever so the fact you can see UK channels has no bearing .

Surely as the licence fee goes to RTE it has some bearing on whether I can receive the RTE channels. I am not coming up with the old chestnut that because I cannot receive RTE in Dublin I should be exempt from paying my licence fee. How would I receive RTE from Wales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

joolsveer wrote:
    How would I receive RTE from Wales?

i presume he meant anyone with an aerial is watching ITV1 Wales and S4C (lucky enough to receive a signal)

No I've a roof top aerial
    John

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well technically speaking you aren't allowed to use a FTV card here ;)

CATV - cable tv = NTL

most people in that neck of the woods don't have tv aerials and some who do have big ones pointing at wales to get BBC and HTV , though they may also have a smaller one pointing at the eiffel tower that RTE have down in Mountrose.

probably better searching / asking over here ---> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i presume he meant anyone with an aerial is watching ITV1 Wales and S4C (lucky enough to receive a signal)

I don't need an aerial for ITV or S4C. It's RTE that I want to receive. Can anyone there help in identifying the appropriate antenna (and contractor) for me so I can receive RTE1, RTE2, TV3 and TG4 in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Please move this thread if you think it is in the wrong forum.

I seriously wish to get advice on how best to receive local TV channels in Dublin without incurring the expense of subscribing to a service which would involve ongoing payment. Can anyone help please?

Ring RTE there numbers in the phone book I think its 012082175 ive checked and thats the number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

To recieve RTE in Dublin you need a wideband UHF rooftop aerial (horizonally polorised) pointed at Three Rock mountain. a 14 element yagi or bowtie grid (aka "Colour King" "Fireguard" "Antighost" etc) should be sufficent

Indoor aerials are hopeless for colour TV

UHF channels are 29 33 35 and 55

CATV = Cable TV (actually it means "Community Antenna Television)

joolsveer wrote:
    Surely as the licence fee goes to RTE it has some bearing on whether I can receive the RTE channels. I am not coming up with the old chestnut that because I cannot receive RTE in Dublin I should be exempt from paying my licence fee. How would I receive RTE from Wales?

Jools your posting was extremely vague nobody knew what type of tv delivery platform you are using - cable, sat or analogue terestrial.

CATV is cable TV as supplied by NTL, chorus and other operators.

RTE is not available on FTA satellite so you will need either to get a Sky Digital package, NTL cable or stick up the good old rabbits ears on top of your set.

Because you can not receive RTE does not exempt you from paying the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Indoor aerials are hopeless for colour TV

Not where I live in Dublin 12

BrianD wrote:
    Jools your posting was extremely vague nobody knew what type of tv delivery platform you are using - cable, sat or analogue terestrial.

CATV is cable TV as supplied by NTL, chorus and other operators.

RTE is not available on FTA satellite so you will need either to get a Sky Digital package, NTL cable or stick up the good old rabbits ears on top of your set.

Thanks BrianD.

I don't think that my lack of a "tv delivery platform" should disqualify me from the reception of the national channels while living in the nation's capital. I am about 10km from the GPO (formerly the home of Radio Éireann). I understand that the only satellite platform which delivers the channels I want is Sky. As I have already stated I do not wish to have to pay a subscription on an ongoing basis which is why I have gone the FTA and FTV route (with the help of a couple of boardsters).

Thanks Ulsterman for your advice about aerials. It's exactly what I was looking for. Any idea where I might source one?

Well I did mention the good old rabbits ears (or the roof top equivalent)! Of course, you may live in some sort of TV reception blackspot and then its either hard luck or shell out for a Sky or NTl sub.

Latest missive from RTÉ

I cannot see how you are having a problem receiving RTÉ
    television in Dublin. I suggest that you contact the
    RTÉ Reception Investigations Division, who if required
    will advise you directly. Please also give your daytime
    telephone number, if that is possible.
    The main contact in that department is Bernie Pope.
    E-mail:Bernie.Pope@rte.ie

Kind Regards

Brigitte (Murphy)
    RTÉ Communications

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think if you pay your licence you should be able to receive a good reception for RTE.

We do pay RTE for a service. Just as TV3 and TG4 pay to be on that service we pay to see that service.

It is kind of pointless paying a company money when you cann't see their stations, over their network. (And i am not talking when you may choose not to watch those channels).

IMO it is part of RTE's contract with the public to provide a TV service and that means making shows and making sure that everyone in Ireland has access to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

SPDUB wrote:
    Not where I live in Dublin 12
    In a small amount of cases an indoor aerial is OK for reception but in the vast majority it will rarely beat a properly installed outdoor aerial for satisfactory reception.

• Advertisement

You can get Aerials in Maplin. Also some branches of B&Q do them and any TV dealer worth their salt will either stock them or be able to tell you where you can get them.

It also pays to use good quality (CT100 or better) TV aerial cable and not just any old crap out of a hardware shop

RE: The TV licence it is basically a tax levied by the government for the privelege of possesing a TV set and has nothing to do with how many channels you can get or how well you can pick them up. The notion of an "RTE licence fee" or "BBC licence fee" is a bit of a myth. The Government chooses to give most of the revenue from the licence to the broadcasters in question but they could pretty much turn around and put the money on a horse instead if they so chose. There was a licence fee before there was ever such thing as RTE !

There was a licence fee before there was ever such thing as RTE

And before RTE there was Radio Eireann and a Radio Licence and before that nothing.

The TV licence it is basically a tax levied by the government for the privelege of possesing a TV set and has nothing to do with how many channels you can get or how well you can pick them up

So therefore Motortax should be spent on something other then the roads.

And before RTE there was Radio Eireann and a Radio Licence and before that nothing.

Radio Eireann (2RN) didnt starrt until 1926 while Telefis Eireann didnt start until the end of 1961

Yet the requirement for reciever licence's preceeded the arrival of both services by many years

As for Motor tax just about every country (with the possible exception of the US) recieves far more revenue from motor tax than it spends on roads (or even transport in general)

If it were otherwise we would have motorways and linking just about every town and two hour railway journeys from Dublin to Letterkenny !

Not so clever NOW are we ?

Not so clever NOW are we ?

Oh! Please!
    As for Motor tax just about every country (with the possible exception of the US) recieves far more revenue from motor tax than it spends on roads (or even transport in general)

I kind of new that :rolleyes:

But then TV is kind of different then Roads.

1. RTE provide a service. That service is paid for by us the public.
    2. Unlike Motor Tax, RTE use all of the money they receive.
    3. RTE get money from TG4, Today FM and TV3 to have them on their network.
    4. RTE need to maintain their network, if they don't the RTE network becomes just like the Eircom and Cablelink networks.
    5. RTE need to provide a good service to all of the country.

I cann't beleive that you are taking sides with RTE on this one. This is a basic part of their service, if they don't have a good reception then they don't get advertising revenue.

If they don't have a good reception then people ring NTL, Sky and Chorus to get RTE and serveral more TV stations thus increase competition with RTE.

It makes sence for RTE to make sure that everyone can receive RTE through their rabbit ears.

I cann't beleive that you are taking sides with RTE on this one.

Im not either "taking sides with" or knocking RTE (on this occasion anyway) just explaining that legally the television licence doesnt automatically entitle you to perfect (or indeed ANY) reception of their services. Im not saying I agree or disagree with this situation either Just telling you the way it is
    This is a basic part of their service, if they don't have a good reception then they don't get advertising revenue.
    Yes although TV3 seem to be content with even poorer coverage than RTE obviously theyve done the cost v' commercial benefit calculation on improving their coverage and decided that 85% (or whatever theyre getting) is an optimum level
    If they don't have a good reception then people ring NTL, Sky and Chorus to get RTE and serveral more TV stations thus increase competition with RTE
    In most cases improving the range/quality of programming rather than the signal quality is what drives people to subscribe to multichannel services (particularly in the case of Chorus given the number of complaints one sees here and elsewhere about reception quality on their network)
    It makes sence for RTE to make sure that everyone can receive RTE through their rabbit ears
    Not really -Im not aware of any European broadcaster which aims to get 100% indoor aerial coverage. Most broadcasters expect viewers to have a basic outdoor aerial at the very least. Indoor aerial use seems to be more common in North America (or used to be before cable became widely available) but even there An outside aerial is often required for decent reception (especially on UHF channels)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

there are a few organisations (FCC, ISO) which regulate the bands that tv/radio cn be broadcast on. For RTE, or anyone else for that matter to be able to broadcast high quality signals that can be picked up on rabbit ears inside a house (mabye 150 miles from the broadcast station) ---- they would have to broadcast at a higher wattage than what is legally allowed. The fcc, www.fcc.gov wont let you send electromagnetic waves at over a certain strength. Otherwise they would be unsafe!

Advertisement