Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2014*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

iwasonbwh wrote: »
    Anyone thinking about UKCAT and the UK? A local GP says that the student doctors he gets from the UK are 10 times better than those that he gets from any Irish university. There are absolutely no fees in Scotland either, which has some of the best medicine courses (Dundee and Edinburgh)
    And for anyone thinking about RCSI, it may not be the best choice. A person working there told a family member to avoid at all costs, and that UCD is firmly No.1, but still behind many UK uni's. Just my 2Cs...
    The standard of teaching is actually very good in RCSI.
    I did the UKCAT this year and applied to Queen's and 3 Scottish universities. Focused on Queen's though. If you're applying wait until after your UKCAT to decide on where to apply and apply according to your strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭JDOC1996

The standard of teaching is actually very good in RCSI.
    I did the UKCAT this year and applied to Queen's and 3 Scottish universities. Focused on Queen's though. If you're applying wait until after your UKCAT to decide on where to apply and apply according to your strengths.

Did you get any offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

JDOC1996 wrote: »

Did you get any offers?
    I had an interview from Queen's but I haven't heard anything from the others yet (one doesn't interview). I didn't put much into the Scottish applications as I don't think I'd end up going there. Just waiting to hear from Queen's really now.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭iwasonbwh

0mega wrote: »
    Is this correct? I'm not sure and I know there was some change in Scottish policy recently regarding Irish applicants.

I'm fairly sure that there are no fees, but I'm open to correction. There's definitely not the £9,000 fees of England.
    As for RCSI, that was an opinion, perhaps they are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jammycversion2

nogivingup wrote: »
    Radiographers take pictures.
    They literally take pictures.
    They take the X-Rays and give them to the doctors to interpret.
    Also, don't know where you got the idea that UCD has surpassed Trinity. Do you know anything about the Medicine courses in either college?

OMG O, would you PLEASE shut up and stop bothering these poor children?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

OMG O, would you PLEASE shut up and stop bothering these poor children?

You're replying to posts from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dearbhla edwards

Hey there,
    I thought i was going to have to make this thread. but some early bird beat me to it.

I was wondering if any one had thought of doing a hpat prep course? I've been researching the topic and it seems ******** is fairly good.
    There's a significant discount for people applying in groups(2-5 people) so if anyone's thinking about it could you give me a shout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Hey there,
    I thought i was going to have to make this thread. but some early bird beat me to it.

I was wondering if any one had thought of doing a hpat prep course? I've been researching the topic and it seems ******** is fairly good.
    There's a significant discount for people applying in groups(2-5 people) so if anyone's thinking about it could you give me a shout.

Hi Dearbhla. The reason the name of that company is blocked is because of spamming issues in the past. I've had to edit your post accordingly.

Different preparation courses have been discussed widely on the forum previously, a search will bring up plenty of results for you.

You are allowed to organise a ME group on boards, but please ask people to contact you via PM.

Thanks and welcome to boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

nogivingup wrote: »
    Radiographers take pictures.
    They literally take pictures.
    They take the X-Rays and give them to the doctors to interpret.
    Also, don't know where you got the idea that UCD has surpassed Trinity. Do you know anything about the Medicine courses in either college?

Radiographers work in CT, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Interventional, Flouroscopy, Ultrasound, Mammography.....etc they do theyre own reporting on ultrasound and yes they can interpret x-rays far better than a doctor who is not a radiologist

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ConorR32

I'm in fifth year in a DEIS school in Finglas. Already at an instant disadvantage there! I REALLY want to do Undergrad Medicine in TCD. At the moment the only prep I can afford to do is the €20 ACER booklet, which is only one test's worth of material. Right now my LC points estimate would be between 560 and 605. Although every week I feel like that estimate is further and further out of my reach. I feel hopeless. I'm not breaking my back with study by any means, asides from the odd bit of maths before a test. Everything comes easy to me in school without the work, so I coast by, doing my homework but little else. See, I find study tough, possibly the toughest thing of all for me, I can't sit down and rote learn, I learn by doing and prefer understanding to knowing. I'm afraid that I wont make medicine now though, if I did I'd be the first to do so from my school EVER! And in my year, I'm the only one that's even aiming for one of the professional courses. The rest will go to FÁS or PLCs while the Best head to DCU down the road or one of the IT's, not to be snobby but there is no one with aspirations near mine, there is nobody bothered with working!

So I was wondering, is there anybody here going through a similar experience? And more to the point, is there any hope for me?! lol

• Advertisement

Oh and does anybody know about other routes into Med? Asides from GEM? My career guidance teacher isn't really the best, so I was hoping you lot would know more!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

ConorR32 wrote: »
    Oh and does anybody know about other routes into Med? Asides from GEM? My career guidance teacher isn't really the best, so I was hoping you lot would know more!

Look into the HEAR scheme. You already fulfil one of the necessary points for entering by attending a DEIS school. You could also try doing a medicine-related course for first year such as biomedical science, repeat the HPAT and then try and transfer to 1st year medicine. Your fees would also most likely be free if you completed and passed the year of biomed science.
    Also, don't instantly presume that you are at a disadvantage by not doing a prep course. You have just as good a chance as anyone who has done one. They provide HPAT candidates with a sense of security and confidence for the exam which fair enough, would help towards getting a good grade. They aren't vital for entry to medicine.
    Good luck anyway, I wouldn't be worrying about the HPAT just yet. Try and focus on your LC for the rest of 5th year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭borrch

The best advice I can give you is to start doing exam papers, again and again and again! I'm like you, can't route learn and don't really take in much from reading. So I have found exam papers to be great, as you are forced to recall stuff or look through your book until you find the answer. After a while it sinks in. It's also the only way i can stay focused. I can easily do 8 hrs per day at this. I'd last maybe 20 minutes if i was just going over chapters, so now i don't bother doing that as it's a complete waste of my time.

Just bear in mind, that everyone learns differently. I do find khan academy great for science & maths subjects, where understanding is vital. If you do enough at home, the school thing shouldn't matter too much (but of course it doesn't help either!). I hope your teachers aren't too bad (esp for languages, maths & english, you can easily teach yourself the science subjects) . I think mostly it's just hard to stay motivated in a school like that. A bit of healthy competition is great motivation...

There is an alternative route you may be able to take into UCD, where you do a chemistry type course for your first two years, then there's a possibility that you can go into 2nd year med. There are no guarantees that this will happen though.

Best idea would be to ring the UCD medical admissions office, they'll tell you what you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 deltaman2012

Hi, I am currently studying 5th year LC and plan to do Medicine next year. Is it possible for me to take UKCAT exam this year and apply to UK universities with predicted LC grades of next year?

Thanks.

Hi, I am currently studying 5th year LC and plan to do Medicine next year. Is it possible for me to take UKCAT exam this year and apply to UK universities with predicted LC grades of next year?

Thanks.

Yeah you take the UKCAT this year for next year.

There's all the info you'll need.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

iwasonbwh wrote: »
    Yeah you take the UKCAT this year for next year.

There's all the info you'll need.

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/

Thanks for the information. However I have one more question.

If I apply to 2014 entry, what LC scores will I put in the application? Predicted grades from school/teachers?

Yeah it's what your teachers think you'll get as far as I know.

I plan to enroll HPAT online course (*****). They are giving a group discount if one person joins with me. Any one interested to join in the course, so that we can get a group discount.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I plan to enroll HPAT online course (*****). They are giving a group discount if one person joins with me. Any one interested to join in the course, so that we can get a group discount.

Thanks.

There are loads of posts like yours , mysteriously enough, find one of them for the 'discount'.
    Amazingly, no one has ever returned and confirmed they got any discount.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    There are loads of posts like yours , mysteriously enough, find one of them for the 'discount'.
    Amazingly, no one has ever returned and confirmed they got any discount.

Thanks. Let me bet my luck. I hope someone will reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

Hi all, will be posting info and useful information on @hpat2014! Today was our first tweet, with a recommended "must-see" from TED

P_mcgrath wrote: »
    Hi all, will be posting info and useful information on @hpat2014! Today was our first tweet, with a recommended "must-see" from TED

Hi, Thanks a million for the initiative. Eagerly waiting for your posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

Hi, Thanks a million for the initiative. Eagerly waiting for your posting.

You will be the first follower!

Thanks.

I'd definitely be interested! In fact I was just going to post the same as you! PM me if you still need someone for the discount! :D

I'm looking for someone to purchase a certain HPAT prep course with me so we both get the group discount. I really want to get goin at it now, so if anyone is interested please let me know! Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭outnumbered

Hi Guys.
    Currently in the process of my Leaving cert and by the looks of things, I may be joining this forum! :(
    Study over the summer!!!! I got 100% in nearly every test in 5th year but when it comes down to it, retaining the damn material is harder than I though. Chemistry, Accounting and Spanish left so if they go good, I shouldn't have to repeat!
    Say a prayer for me! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'm looking for someone to purchase a certain HPAT prep course with me so we both get the group discount. I really want to get goin at it now, so if anyone is interested please let me know! Thanks!

I'm planning on doing it , pm me if you want .

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

Just a bit of advice from someone who's done this last year.

Start now.

You won't get an opportunity like this during 6th year to dedicate your entire time to HPAT. It's getting more and more competitive and you can bet there's others who are using the prep courses now and making use of all the free time they've got. If your serious about this, you've gotta make sacrifices and keep up with the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

0mega wrote: »
    Just a bit of advice from someone who's done this last year.

Start now.

You won't get an opportunity like this during 6th year to dedicate your entire time to HPAT. It's getting more and more competitive and you can bet there's others who are using the prep courses now and making use of all the free time they've got. If your serious about this, you've gotta make sacrifices and keep up with the rest.

I am going to practice some hpat when I'm off on holidays but do you recommend taking some books and what not to study for the actualy leaving cert or should I just focus on the hpat? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement